OT: Majok Majok to Fairfield?

Am I missing something with this signing? Hmmm…first it was Harvard, then he visited Colorado a few days after the coach was fired. His list includes Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Stanford, BC and Oklahoma, and some other top programs. And he chooses Fairfield? Does he have a rap sheet or something? What kind of choice is that?

I think with just being in the States a couple of years he may have wanted to go to a smaller school.

It kind of reminds me of eric getting on NGameday(I think those two were involved) for saying someone was considering Stanford, Oklahoma and St. Francis of PA, or some odd combo like that. This one’s weird. You may be right, and it’s probably pretty local. Fairfield is probably 2 hours from Boston.

I don’t know the reason but that is one thing I won’t ever criticize a kid for. They got to make a decision that is best for them. I wish the kid luck.

Maybe he understands his ability and knows what level is best for him. If the big schools only came knocking late in the game, chances are it was probably a little due to desperation and needing some players. Maybe he understands that and feels Fairfield presents the best opportunity for him to play and contribute. Fairfield also has a great chance to make the tourney this season.

Maybe because he knows Fairfield is going to upset PSU this season and he wanted to be a part of it? :stuck_out_tongue:

But really, it is pretty strange. I hadn’t followed his recruiting process but I still knew the general teams on his list - didn’t know Fairfield was involved.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1177"]I think with just being in the States a couple of years he may have wanted to go to a smaller school.[/quote]

It kind of reminds me of eric getting on NGameday(I think those two were involved) for saying someone was considering Stanford, Oklahoma and St. Francis of PA, or some odd combo like that. This one’s weird. You may be right, and it’s probably pretty local. Fairfield is probably 2 hours from Boston.

Majok played for Mount Hermon which is 100 miles from Boston. However, he played AAU ball for the Connecticut Basketball Club and his cousin plays for UConn, so he does have ties to the Connecticut area. I also understand that he has family in New York City which is just an hour away.

He’s from Sydney Australia. I don’t think the culture shock is that great.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1177"]I think with just being in the States a couple of years he may have wanted to go to a smaller school.[/quote]

The article linked in the recruiting thread says:

Majok, who came over from the Sudan in 2008, has quietly improved his game and became a guy who can make an immediate impact at the next level.

So I can understand the confusion.

The article linked in the recruiting thread says:

Majok, who came over from the Sudan in 2008, has quietly improved his game and became a guy who can make an immediate impact at the next level.

So I can understand the confusion.

Maybe he is from Sudan, there seems to be some confusion about his journey to Mount Hermon.

I read somewhere that he was born in Sydney but maybe that article had him confused with his cousin at UConn who is from Sydney (but his cousin wasn’t born in Sydney, he migrated there from the Sudan via Egypt). I’ll look around and see if I can dig up more.

This post on the Facebook page for the Australian Christian Schools Basketball USA Tours says that Majok was playing hoops in Australia in 2007 so it certainly casts a lot of doubt on the from Sudan in 2008 quote.

Here’s an article in a Raleigh paper that suggests that Majok was born in the Sudan but moved to Australia as a child.

“Earlier in the day, Ater Majok, Manyok Galtwak and Majok Majok – three players born in Sudan who moved to Australia as children – were eating lunch at Arts Etc. and Cafe in downtown Martinsville.”

Next question: So is a Stag really a male deer? ;D :wink:

Here’s probably where the confusion came from. This from a Rivals article about Majok and his coach, Ed Smith, says

“He is from the Sudan. I coached and worked with his cousin, Ater. Majok came over to here in 2008. He was at South Kent last year. This year he is at Northfield. For all of these kids, it is a big transition, but he has done very well. You also have to mention the parents too. It is an enormous sacrifice they make to allow their kids to come here. Majok now has a chance to go to Harvard and that is something special.”

My guess is that whoever wrote the NBE article read this quote from the coach and concluded that the coach was saying that Majok came over directly from the Sudan. My guess is that while Majok is originally from the Sudan, he had been living in Australia for a considerable time before he came to the States in 2008. It’s easy to see how his coach’s statement could be misinterpreted.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:14, topic:1177”]Here’s probably where the confusion came from. This from a Rivals article about Majok and his coach, Ed Smith, says

“He is from the Sudan. I coached and worked with his cousin, Ater. Majok came over to here in 2008. He was at South Kent last year. This year he is at Northfield. For all of these kids, it is a big transition, but he has done very well. You also have to mention the parents too. It is an enormous sacrifice they make to allow their kids to come here. Majok now has a chance to go to Harvard and that is something special.”

My guess is that whoever wrote the NBE article read this quote from the coach and concluded that the coach was saying that Majok came over directly from the Sudan. My guess is that while Majok is originally from the Sudan, he had been living in Australia for a considerable time before he came to the States in 2008. It’s easy to see how his coach’s statement could be misinterpreted. [/quote]

I can accept this explanation. Seems logical.