OT - Maine Public Radio

The local public radio station’s lead-in to Morning edition this morning included this item in the wrap-up of the day’s news:

“Great football coach Joe Paterno is 83 today.”

It’s possible that it was “Penn State football coach …” but that’s how I think he said it… Either way, Happy Birthday, Joe Paterno. It seems like the negative recruiting about you not being around for a high school senior’s entire career started when I was in school, 30 years ago. :wink:

It is truly amazing how Joe has morphed from an old coach who recruits had questions about being around for their whole career to a legend who recruits wanted to play for. There will never be another like him. He showed the world how you can have “success with honor” in the violent game of college football and how things are cyclical and you shouldn’t fire a successful coach who has a few down years.

My favorite quote on the extremely physical nature of college football came from Duffy Daugherty who said something to the effect that “football isn’t a contact sport; it’s a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.”

Speaking of Penn State and public radio, you might want to check out this week’s “This American Life” all about Penn State and the #1 Party School status:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=396

This American Life is fantastic… i’ll have to check that out.

[quote=“bstanf, post:3, topic:522”]Speaking of Penn State and public radio, you might want to check out this week’s “This American Life” all about Penn State and the #1 Party School status:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=396[/quote]

Thanks for the link – a friend told me about this but I could not get the audio.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:522”]The local public radio station’s lead-in to Morning edition this morning included this item in the wrap-up of the day’s news:

“Great football coach Joe Paterno is 83 today.”

It’s possible that it was “Penn State football coach …” but that’s how I think he said it… Either way, Happy Birthday, Joe Paterno. It seems like the negative recruiting about you not being around for a high school senior’s entire career started when I was in school, 30 years ago. ;)[/quote]

Yeah I remember that recruiting ploy, about 400 coaching changes ago, LOL.

Happy Birthday Joseph V. Paterno.

Speaking of Penn State and public radio, you might want to check out this week's "This American Life" all about Penn State and the #1 Party School status:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=396

Thanks for the link – a friend told me about this but I could not get the audio.

This is a really remarkable report. Balanced, funny, extremely scary and tragic – all those things. I recommend it highly. It’s more than an hour long, I think.

The report on This American Life is excellent and worth an hour’s listening. I know from personal experience that the drinking culture is alienating from Penn State some parents and very good students. I imagine it attracts some students, too.

As a Penn State undergrad, I drank. All (almost all) college students do, and it’s not going to stop. But I don’t recall setting out to get blind drunk and it never occurred to me to damage anyone’s property. I think Spanier should ignore his critics and do what Nebraska and a few others have done to reduce the binge drinking culture. If drunkenness is that important to your college experience, you should be invited to experience college at some other school.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:522”]The report on This American Life is excellent and worth an hour’s listening. I know from personal experience that the drinking culture is alienating from Penn State some parents and very good students. I imagine it attracts some students, too.

As a Penn State undergrad, I drank. All (almost all) college students do, and it’s not going to stop. But I don’t recall setting out to get blind drunk and it never occurred to me to damage anyone’s property. I think Spanier should ignore his critics and do what Nebraska and a few others have done to reduce the binge drinking culture. If drunkenness is that important to your college experience, you should be invited experience college at some other school. [/quote]

I found Rockey’s (owner of the Brewery) comments regarding the culture change shifting to more hard liquor enlightening. We pretty much drank nothing but beer when I was in school. According to Rockey, his bar sales have shifted considerably toward liquor sales. I wonder how much that’s contributing toward the increase level of intoxication seen among the students.

[quote="bstanf, post:3, topic:522"]Speaking of Penn State and public radio, you might want to check out this week's "This American Life" all about Penn State and the #1 Party School status:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=396[/quote]

This is a really remarkable report. Balanced, funny, extremely scary and tragic – all those things. I recommend it highly. It’s more than an hour long, I think.

I downloaded the podcast to listen to this monring while I drove the fun and exciting Harriburg to Philly turnpkie stretch. I started it in what I thought would be plenty of time, only to get the Nebraska “punch line” while sitting in the parking lot. (another driveway moment :wink: ) It was quite good, but the podcast is only available (for free) this week, so if you are into the podcast thing get it now. (and send them a few bucks… I know I will after listening)

What I found interesting is the move from Beer to hard alcohol. I still contend that a lot of today’s drinking culture on campus is the direct result of the CRACKDOWN on drinking that occured late-80’s/early 90’s. For instance, it’s much more hard licquor now, but in my day it was pretty much just keg beer. It’s a lot harder to get to some of the really high blood alcohol levels on just beer (I just get FULL, honestly). But I think this trend is the result of greater crackdowns on open drinking, as it’s a lot easier to conceal a flask than it is a case of beer. It’s been so prevalent for so long now, that it will be much more difficult to change the culture away from the hard stuff. It’s taken 15+ years of alcohol policy to get it that way.

I am also surprised at the change to hard stuff. Kids (like adults) are trendy. Also, I think many students have more spending money/credit cards than students in the past. Our society is driven to "be cool."
We bought Schmidt’s 16 oz 4 packs for $1.25. Because it was the BEST VALUE, not the best tasting or most popular.

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:522”]I am also surprised at the change to hard stuff. Kids (like adults) are trendy. Also, I think many students have more spending money/credit cards than students in the past. Our society is driven to "be cool."
We bought Schmidt’s 16 oz 4 packs for $1.25. Because it was the BEST VALUE, not the best tasting or most popular.[/quote]

That’s how I got started on Rolling Rock. At the Skellar, two pony bottles for 35 cents, or a case for $3.75. What’s not to like about that?

[quote="tundra, post:11, topic:522"]I am also surprised at the change to hard stuff. Kids (like adults) are trendy. Also, I think many students have more spending money/credit cards than students in the past. Our society is driven to "be cool." We bought Schmidt's 16 oz 4 packs for $1.25. Because it was the BEST VALUE, not the best tasting or most popular.[/quote]

That’s how I got started on Rolling Rock. At the Skellar, two pony bottles for 35 cents, or a case for $3.75. What’s not to like about that?

Busch pounders in glass bottles. $10.50 for 1st case, $2 for the returns, $8.50 for the additional cases. Then when we wanted to switch it up we went Piel’s at $7/case. Only the finest.

I don’t agree with the switch to hard booze because of the cost. I’m not THAT removed from school and we routinely bought Natti Ice or Beast Ice. If it was booze then it was bottom shelf. I remember Popov vodka well. I mean, you’d have kids drinking Goose or something like that but the large majority of us (even the ones w/ money) drank the swill. Keystone was another popular beer choice.

My friends and I usually started in our dorms with booze (jack, captain, cheap vodka), and then went out and drank draft beer. That was the cheapest way to get loaded (within reason).

Maybe all the flavored vodka and sweet booze like Captain Morgan’s is a part of the shift. How long has that stuff been around?

[quote=“LPcreation, post:14, topic:522”]I don’t agree with the switch to hard booze because of the cost. I’m not THAT removed from school and we routinely bought Natti Ice or Beast Ice. If it was booze then it was bottom shelf. I remember Popov vodka well. I mean, you’d have kids drinking Goose or something like that but the large majority of us (even the ones w/ money) drank the swill. Keystone was another popular beer choice.

My friends and I usually started in our dorms with booze (jack, captain, cheap vodka), and then went out and drank draft beer. That was the cheapest way to get loaded (within reason).

Maybe all the flavored vodka and sweet booze like Captain Morgan’s is a part of the shift. How long has that stuff been around? [/quote]

What like MD 20/20? As long as I remember. I remember hearing my father tell Mad Dog stories when I was a pup.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:14, topic:522”]I don’t agree with the switch to hard booze because of the cost. I’m not THAT removed from school and we routinely bought Natti Ice or Beast Ice. If it was booze then it was bottom shelf. I remember Popov vodka well. I mean, you’d have kids drinking Goose or something like that but the large majority of us (even the ones w/ money) drank the swill. Keystone was another popular beer choice.

Maybe all the flavored vodka and sweet booze like Captain Morgan’s is a part of the shift. How long has that stuff been around? [/quote]

I also contend that because of the tightening of the underage drinking laws, it forced more of the drinking “underground” in people’s apartments and dornms… Instead of Alcohol being a part of a larger social activity, the consumption of alcohol BECAME the activity. It’s at that point that the binge drinking really began. So, between the greater need for concealment and the desire, not to be social but to get drunk, those are the factors and not the cost which drove the drinking culture away from beer and into the hard stuff.

Now, kids just do the hard stuff because that’s what everyone else does (heck, that’s why they’re drinking in the first place!)

That was one of Rockey’s points also. He said all the liquor company promotions such as the Bacardi Girls or Captain Morgan parading around town in costume pushed the liquor. I’m not sure about that because I’ve seen plenty of Miller Lite girls too.

One of the best points made was that Penn State and many others are spending tons of money (millions at Penn State, I thought they said) trying to combat binge drinking but they don’t know what works and what doesn’t. A guy at Nebraska Lincoln claims to have great success with total war – increased enforcement on and off campus – but the commentator made a generic point that what works in one place might not work in another.

I don’t see how anyone could listen to what goes on in that report and not think it was a big problem AND appluad Spanier for trying to address it, even though it got him compared to Hitler, etc. It seems that routine property damage and an occasional death are considered acceptable by products of a fun atmosphere, and maybe they are. But it makes me think hard about what choices my daughter will be making when she is deciding on a college.

I don't agree with the switch to hard booze because of the cost. I'm not THAT removed from school and we routinely bought Natti Ice or Beast Ice. If it was booze then it was bottom shelf. I remember Popov vodka well. I mean, you'd have kids drinking Goose or something like that but the large majority of us (even the ones w/ money) drank the swill. Keystone was another popular beer choice.

Maybe all the flavored vodka and sweet booze like Captain Morgan’s is a part of the shift. How long has that stuff been around?

That was one of Rockey’s points also. He said all the liquor company promotions such as the Bacardi Girls or Captain Morgan parading around town in costume pushed the liquor. I’m not sure about that because I’ve seen plenty of Miller Lite girls too.

Although I am partial to the Bacardi Girls ;D

I wonder how the zero tolerance style policy at Nebraska plays havoc with people’s lives. Sure, they cut down on the binge drinking, but how many people had their college career ruined and a criminal record to achieve such a stat.

I also don’t feel a lot of sympathy for people like the producer of the show who moved onto a street with frats expecting a quiet and bucolic neighborhood.