PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Little League World Series

Good to see a local (Lock Haven) team make it to Williamsport. Keystone (Clinton County) Little League beat Paramus, NJ this morning to secure their spot.

I wish I would have gone to see the LLWS just once when I was living in PA and at PSU. Having a son who is so into it has me itching to make the trip but the wife won’t let me take him out of school (yes they’re in school already) to do so. Maybe he’ll just have to earn a trip in a few years :slight_smile:

Tournament starts on Thursday.

When I was 12 ( many moons ago) our Little League All Star team won about 6-7 games in the western PA state play-offs. If we won the next game we would have gone to Williamsport for the State play-offs. Alas, we lost 4-2. Guess who struck out for the last out!! :-[
Swinging on a 3 - 2 curve ball about 2-3 foot outside! Yikes!

I ended an all-star tourney once, striking out looking on a pitch that bounced into the catcher’s glove. How that ump deemed a pitch in the dirt a strike, I still have no idea.

I had just the opposite - called out on a pitch that was above my eyes for the third out of an inning. But what happened next seared the memory even more. In the next inning, I was replaced in the field at third base. The first batter lifted a short pop-up between third and home. The third baseman, my replacement, and the catcher collided at full speed. The catcher, as they often are, was a big burly kid, plus he was wearing all the normal protective gear. It knocked my replacement out cold and he started convulsing on the field. They took him to the hospital and he was ok but it was a very scary moment for a bunch of 12 year olds. The whole time he was laying there, I was thinking that it could have, and maybe should have, been me.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:2600”]Good to see a local (Lock Haven) team make it to Williamsport. Keystone (Clinton County) Little League beat Paramus, NJ this morning to secure their spot.

I wish I would have gone to see the LLWS just once when I was living in PA and at PSU. Having a son who is so into it has me itching to make the trip but the wife won’t let me take him out of school (yes they’re in school already) to do so. Maybe he’ll just have to earn a trip in a few years :slight_smile:

Tournament starts on Thursday.[/quote]

It was a dramatic ending to the game. PA was up 5-2 but NJ got the first two runners on in the last inning (bad hop error and an 11 pitch walk) which allowed the top of the lineup to come to the plate. The PA pitcher got the next two batters out but had to face NJ’s top player who had hit a two run homer earlier. The PA kid struck out the Jersey kid to end the game. It was a great finish to a well played game.

I ended an all-star tourney once, striking out looking on a pitch that bounced into the catcher's glove. How that ump deemed a pitch in the dirt a strike, I still have no idea.

I had just the opposite - called out on a pitch that was above my eyes for the third out of an inning. But what happened next seared the memory even more. In the next inning, I was replaced in the field at third base. The first batter lifted a short pop-up between third and home. The third baseman, my replacement, and the catcher collided at full speed. The catcher, as they often are, was a big burly kid, plus he was wearing all the normal protective gear. It knocked my replacement out cold and he started convulsing on the field. They took him to the hospital and he was ok but it was a very scary moment for a bunch of 12 year olds. The whole time he was laying there, I was thinking that it could have, and maybe should have, been me.

Would never have been you, Lar. While the ball was in the air you would have figured out the arc of the trajectory and done an analysis of how fast the catcher was running after the ball and then you would have called him off. :wink:

I never got the all-star moment since my team finished in last place in the league and we only got 3 kids on the all-star team and my team had the only girl in the league. So in a PC moment they took her, the coach’s son and our one really worthy player (my best friend).

;D

My daughter is that girl in her league (8 year olds)…but she is more than holding her own and she’s gotten two All-Star nods on her own doing the past two springs.

As for the game today, PA got lucky in that the Japanese pitcher for Paramus who mowed the PA kids down for three innings of no run/no hit ball yesterday, because of the rain that suspended the game till today in the top of the fourth, couldn’t come back and pitch today (due to LL rules). Still a really exciting finish.

If you’ve never been to the Little League World Series, put it on your bucket list. It is an experience you will never forget. Having grown up in Williamsport and lived there until 11 years ago I spent many, many days there. There were several years before there were 2 field when I didn’t miss a single game.

It’s everything they make it out to be. If you have a kid who plays little league baseball or softball take them. It truly is a field of dreams. The kids are the kings.

I only wish the Ugandan team could have had everything in order so they could be there this year. After watching the documentary on ESPN on Sunday I didn’t come away with the feeling that they were using ineligible players from an age point of view - it was that they didn’t have a paper trail birthday date (day of the year) documentation for their visas. They knew the year they were born but not the day. What a shame.

Again let me say - you must make it a point to get there. NittanyIllini - bribe your wife - a day or 2 of missed school won’t scar him for life nor keep him out of Harvard. It may however be the chance to build and share a memory with your son that will be with you forever.

[quote=“billtown, post:8, topic:2600”]If you’ve never been to the Little League World Series, put it on your bucket list. It is an experience you will never forget. Having grown up in Williamsport and lived there until 11 years ago I spent many, many days there. There were several years before there were 2 field when I didn’t miss a single game.

It’s everything they make it out to be. If you have a kid who plays little league baseball or softball take them. It truly is a field of dreams. The kids are the kings.

I only wish the Ugandan team could have had everything in order so they could be there this year. After watching the documentary on ESPN on Sunday I didn’t come away with the feeling that they were using ineligible players from an age point of view - it was that they didn’t have a paper trail birthday date (day of the year) documentation for their visas. They knew the year they were born but not the day. What a shame.

Again let me say - you must make it a point to get there. NittanyIllini - bribe your wife - a day or 2 of missed school won’t scar him for life nor keep him out of Harvard. It may however be the chance to build and share a memory with your son that will be with you forever.[/quote]

billtown,

It is a shame about the Ugandan team. Ten years to the day (gosh, has it been that long?), I know LL is still smarting from the whole Danny Almonte thing and they don’t want that to happen again. In fact, the State College Little Leaguers that year lost to Danny Almonte in the Mid-Atlantic regional final by a score of 2-0. Had they uncovered the info then, State College would have made its way to Williamsport.

Here’s an article from that year during the investigation and a quote from State College manager Tom Hart.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/llws/2001-08-27-almonte-investigation.htm

"Anyone who could do to our team, to the Florida team, to the California team what he did — I wanted to believe in my heart that he was 12 because I was witnessing greatness on the level of a Michael Jordan or a Tiger Woods," said Tom Hart, whose State College, Pa., team was beaten 2-0 by the Bronx in the Mid-Atlantic Regional championship with Almonte pitching a no-hitter. "In my heart, I felt I was witnessing something illegal, and he robbed my kids of their dream."

So they take age verification very seriously.

As for getting to Williamsport…I’m blessed to have a son good enough to play on tournament teams in our Little League, and his Little League is one of the top five in our home state and makes it to States on a regular basis. Problem is, our home state is Georgia and the parents in Warner Robins breed baseball players, then hand them a bat and glove right out of the womb. And if it’s not them, it’s Columbus. So if you’re the third best LL program in your state, try not having Georgia be that state ;D

But, hey, if they don’t make it there, us coaches have already decided that we’ll take our sons and their tourney team to Cooperstown for another awesome summer tournament they have up there for their final year of Little League ball. So it will be a win-win regardless.

Listen…if you have young LL age kids, make the trip. Food is very inxpensive around the stadium, housing is a bit of a challenge but you can make it a one day trip. The experience for kids is tremendous. Your kids will grow up too quickly and the opportuinity will pass, make it a can do experience.

PAP 17754
Born in New York…Raised in Williamsport

Agree 100% My son’s been there many times with is Pap. I took off work and went along one year, and was very glad I did. We had a great time, and (at least then) it felt like one of the true unspoiled treasures still out there.

Kind of like going to games in Rec Hall. I’m learning that when I find these little gems from days of yore, I need to take full advantage before they’re gone. Get to the LLWS as soon as you can.

Neat moment…

Brent Musburger gets to call a game-winning home run in the bottom of the 7th by Ben Akselson from Billings, Montana to beat Huntington Beach, California. Musburger’s dad started the Billings Little League program back in the 50’s.

Say what you want about Brent…but it was a classic call. He and Orel Hershiser was a great listen tonight.

Pennsylvania vs California on Thursday…the winner goes to the US title game to play Montana on Saturday.

International side…tremendous game today in which Mexico beat Venezuela to get to the International title game. Venezuela will play Japan on Thursday…winner gets Mexico on Saturday.

Great tournament so far…

You mean PA vs Cali tonight (thursday) at 8 pm

Thanks State…fixed (though central PA is getting swamped today, so it might be Friday when they play)

Is anyone else looking at the PA team like Hickory High in Hoosiers? They talked about the one kid on the GA team who’s family moved there, and picked that town because of the strong LL team and the chance to go to the LLWS. I don’t think there are any families looking to move to Lock Haven for the same chance (unless they want to go as spectators!)

I see the level of talent our local central PA little league pulls together, and it’s nowhere close to the talent level that some of these places in GA and CA can draw from. How a team from Lock Haven gathered that much talent to compete at this level is truely a “perfect storm” of events. It really has the feel of a “once in a lifetime” kind of run.

[quote=“MarkH, post:15, topic:2600”]Is anyone else looking at the PA team like Hickory High in Hoosiers? They talked about the one kid on the GA team who’s family moved there, and picked that town because of the strong LL team and the chance to go to the LLWS. I don’t think there are any families looking to move to Lock Haven for the same chance (unless they want to go as spectators!)

I see the level of talent our local central PA little league pulls together, and it’s nowhere close to the talent level that some of these places in GA and CA can draw from. How a team from Lock Haven gathered that much talent to compete at this level is truely a “perfect storm” of events. It really has the feel of a “once in a lifetime” kind of run.[/quote]

Pennsylvania, as a state, has a strong Little League history…obviously the LLWS is in the state. Montana on the other hand is, well, is Montana. They might be the Hoosiers of this tournament, being their first ever trip as a state to Williamsport. Have you seen the 6 year old playing 2nd base for them? OK, he’s not 6, only looks it…sort of like Ollie of underhanded free throw fame in Hoosiers.

When this tourney started people were talking about the strength of teams like Georgia, California, Louisiana and, yes, Pennsylvania. But no one was saying a word about Montana. Yet here they are sitting at 3-0 and in the US title game.

I’ve been to Billings a few times…I like that area.

[quote="MarkH, post:15, topic:2600"]Is anyone else looking at the PA team like Hickory High in Hoosiers? They talked about the one kid on the GA team who's family moved there, and picked that town because of the strong LL team and the chance to go to the LLWS. I don't think there are any families looking to move to Lock Haven for the same chance (unless they want to go as spectators!)

I see the level of talent our local central PA little league pulls together, and it’s nowhere close to the talent level that some of these places in GA and CA can draw from. How a team from Lock Haven gathered that much talent to compete at this level is truely a “perfect storm” of events. It really has the feel of a “once in a lifetime” kind of run.[/quote]

Pennsylvania, as a state, has a strong Little League history…obviously the LLWS is in the state. Montana on the other hand is, well, is Montana. They might be the Hoosiers of this tournament, being their first ever trip as a state to Williamsport. Have you seen the 6 year old playing 2nd base for them? OK, he’s not 6, only looks it…sort of like Ollie of underhanded free throw fame in Hoosiers.

When this tourney started people were talking about the strength of teams like Georgia, California, Louisiana and, yes, Pennsylvania. But no one was saying a word about Montana. Yet here they are sitting at 3-0 and in the US title game.

Lock Haven was runner up in the first LLWS and won the second. There have been several other PA teams to make the finals. Most recently Shippensburg was runner up in 1990.

I was in Billings once. Stopped at a restaurant for lunch on my way to Glacier Park. I told the bartender I was going back country hiking. He gave me a great tip on how to keep Grizzly Bears away. He suggested I pick up a salmon at the grocery store and carry it in my backpack. Apparently Grizzlies don’t like the smell. I can see why. :wink:

I was at the game last night for the 7th inning walk-off. It was a terrific game. What a lifetime memory young Ben Ackelson created for himself.