OT: LeBron Sweepstakes

Tonight, LeBron announces his decision. My bet? Miami, for two reasons:

It’s indicated that Chris Bosh is going there, and also that Bosh wanted to play with LeBron. My guess is that LeBron indicated he’d announce he’ll go there, but wanted Bosh to keep it hush hush. When LeBron announces it, so will Bosh.
The second reason? Taxes. It’s mentioned that LeBron will have to settle for $16.56 million per year in Miami, $1million less than NY, but NYC and NYS have crushing taxes, likely to be 15% combined in 2011. Why pay that? Like when Tiger Woods(and many other golfers & tennis players) who move to Florida when they go pro, it’s a big incentive. And endorsements make taxes even greater. Just a hunch, but we’ll soon know. Here are the states without income taxes… Nine states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. The states of New Hampshire and Tennessee tax their residents only on income earned through interest and dividends. However, as this article shows, states are getting their cut. Unreal. Still, half home games, some in Texas and Washington help cut down the bite.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/taxes/p112872.asp

smart money is on the pittsburgh pythons

Kid - Everybody is saying Miami. Wade and Bosh are already confirmed, and ESPN has reported that LeBron is likely to follow. Chris Boussard said this morning that some of the other teams courting LeBron have basically conceded.

I didn’t know everybody was saying Miami. And on Bosh, last I knew it wasn’t confirmed. That was yesterday.

I think he’s right but Chris Boussard is wrong about a good 75% of the things he says.

The NBA sucks, and things like this are why.

Agreed. It sounded like Kid hadn’t heard the latest news, so I wanted to bring him up to speed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5363055

All indications are that LeBron James is leaning toward signing with the Miami Heat on Thursday night, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation.

Barring a late change of heart, sources say James has decided to join fellow All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a potential NBA powerhouse.

I’m saying the rumors are false and Lebron puts on orange and blue Knicks cap tonight. If he chooses Miami, the guy is a joke.

If he goes to South Beach, Lebron is simply choosing the easy route of playing with a few friends and winning titles as a group instead of being a monumental figure in sports history playing in the biggest city with the greatest fans and reviving a Knicks franchise and returning it to glory.

He passed the “king” crown over to Wade, who rightly deserves it by getting two of the best players in the game to join him on his own court

[quote="NGameday, post:5, topic:1253"]I think he's right but Chris Boussard is wrong about a good 75% of the things he says.[/quote]

Agreed. It sounded like Kid hadn’t heard the latest news, so I wanted to bring him up to speed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5363055

All indications are that LeBron James is leaning toward signing with the Miami Heat on Thursday night, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation.

Barring a late change of heart, sources say James has decided to join fellow All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a potential NBA powerhouse.

I hadn’t heard it. But originally Bosh was uncomfirmed, and guessed that he was waiting for LeBron to announce, maybe asked by him, or maybe Bosh wanted to make sure LBJ was going there. In any case, just my uninformed opinion, but IMO, taxes had to be considered and any financial advisor, accountant or attorney not considering it should be fired. Antoine Walker declared bankruptcy despite making $110 million. I am not looking up his whole career, but if he played in Florida vs. Taxachussetts, maybe he’d have $10 million to fall back on. State and local taxes are too big cut when you can live in a tax free state for the same pretax money. Has to tip the scales.

Plus…in Florida… him (LeBron) and Tiger can cruise for chicks! :wink:

Yep, there are tons of Perkins in FL :smiley:

you know what really grinds my gears? people who go out of their way to say how much they hate the nba.i mean, like, ya know, if you don’t like the nba, just skip the thread dude. why is it that everytime someone tries to talk about the nba, every chucklehead thinks he’s don rickles and states his preference for frogs in the boudoir on chanel four. the nba has fans all over the world and it’s only getting bigger. if you can’t appreciate the beuatiful, sophisticated game that is the nba, just keep it to yourself. you never see people going out of their way to express their hatred of soccer or instant replay.

[quote=“hoops19, post:8, topic:1253”]I’m saying the rumors are false and Lebron puts on orange and blue Knicks cap tonight. If he chooses Miami, the guy is a joke.

If he goes to South Beach, Lebron is simply choosing the easy route of playing with a few friends and winning titles as a group instead of being a monumental figure in sports history playing in the biggest city with the greatest fans and reviving a Knicks franchise and returning it to glory.

He passed the “king” crown over to Wade, who rightly deserves it by getting two of the best players in the game to join him on his own court[/quote]

Must be a Knicks fan.

In this situation, I feel bad for LeBron. If he goes to Knicks or stays with Cavs and they are never good enough to win a championship, he will never get any mention for possible GOAT. He needs to win championships to be considered. However, if he goes to Miami and wins a few, he won’t get the credit he deserves because of who his teammates were and how they all landed in Miami together (let’s forget about all the great players Kobe, MJ, Russell had on their teams). Seems like a lose-lose, other than the hundreds of millions he will make in free agency.

[quote="hoops19, post:8, topic:1253"]I'm saying the rumors are false and Lebron puts on orange and blue Knicks cap tonight. If he chooses Miami, the guy is a joke.

He passed the “king” crown over to Wade, who rightly deserves it by getting two of the best players in the game to join him on his own court[/quote]

Must be a Knicks fan.

In this situation, I feel bad for LeBron. If he goes to Knicks or stays with Cavs and they are never good enough to win a championship, he will never get any mention for possible GOAT. He needs to win championships to be considered. However, if he goes to Miami and wins a few, he won’t get the credit he deserves because of who his teammates were and how they all landed in Miami together (let’s forget about all the great players Kobe, MJ, Russell had on their teams). Seems like a lose-lose, other than the hundreds of millions he will make in free agency.

I just read that the Knicks gave away five top ten picks in the last seven drafts (and they may have sent another first rounder to the Suns in a sign and trade for Amar’e.) How could LeBron consider a team that incompetent?

edit The Knicks, surprisingly, did not give away a first rounder as part of the Amar’e trade.

You must have a second banana to win a title these days, every since the NBA switch to legalizing the zone defense. Shaq and Damon Jones do not count as a second banana. I don’t think Amari does either. They overpaid for that guy.

I don’t think pay is that big of an incentive. NY is the markenting capital of the world. Very top tier athletes will make more from marketing than from salary. When looking that the prospects of promo bucks compared to what he will save in state income taxes, it’s not even close.

[quote=“hoops19, post:8, topic:1253”]I’m saying the rumors are false and Lebron puts on orange and blue Knicks cap tonight. [b]If he chooses Miami, the guy is a joke.

If he goes to South Beach, Lebron is simply choosing the easy route of playing with a few friends and winning titles as a group instead of being a monumental figure in sports history playing in the biggest city with the greatest fans and reviving a Knicks franchise and returning it to glory.[/b]

What? South Beach is a way better place to live than NY. And the Knicks are a joke of a franchise – worse than the Clippers lately.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:15, topic:1253”]You must have a second banana to win a title these days, every since the NBA switch to legalizing the zone defense. Shaq and Damon Jones do not count as a second banana. I don’t think Amari does either. They overpaid for that guy.

I don’t think pay is that big of an incentive. NY is the markenting capital of the world. Very top tier athletes will make more from marketing than from salary. When looking that the prospects of promo bucks compared to what he will save in state income taxes, it’s not even close.[/quote]

I agree that marketing is a larger incentive than salary. But marketing execs love champions way more than they love NY players. MJ still sells way more sneakers than anyone (maybe everyone else combined). And marketing is now GLOBAL. So Madison Avenue might be important. But places such as China and Japan and Europe are almost as big, maybe bigger. I know China has more basketball fans than the US has people.

The latest rumor I saw was that LeBron was giving up basketball to join a monastery. He has apparently been identified as the next Dalai Lama, which seems premature, given that we’ve already got one. (“He said that they’ve already got one!”) In any event, off to the Himalayas for him. I think that’s a wise move in a number of ways (given their tax rate, in particular).

LeBron is already the marketing king of the NBA…and he plays in Cleveland. Miami is not quite NYC, but it is very glitzy and flashy. Kind of like the LA of the East Coast?

Right, so really the only thing he can do to increase his marketability is to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

You must have a second banana to win a title these days, every since the NBA switch to legalizing the zone defense. Shaq and Damon Jones do not count as a second banana. I don't think Amari does either. They overpaid for that guy.

I don’t think pay is that big of an incentive. NY is the markenting capital of the world. Very top tier athletes will make more from marketing than from salary. When looking that the prospects of promo bucks compared to what he will save in state income taxes, it’s not even close.

I agree that marketing is a larger incentive than salary. But marketing execs love champions way more than they love NY players. MJ still sells way more sneakers than anyone (maybe everyone else combined). And marketing is now GLOBAL. So Madison Avenue might be important. But places such as China and Japan and Europe are almost as big, maybe bigger. I know China has more basketball fans than the US has people.

Houston and San Antonio are examples of teams and players who have won multiple championships, but they are not in positioin to have thier players cash in becasue they are not in marketing centers. Do you still have your Air Akeems or your David Robinson jersey? chicago is still the 3rd largest market in the country, far far ahead of Miami, but still light years behind New York.

LeBron is already the marketing king of the NBA...and he plays in [b]Cleveland[/b]. Miami is not quite NYC, but it is very glitzy and flashy. Kind of like the LA of the East Coast?
LeBron is the current king, but he is no where near Jordan stature or Tiger Woods stature. It's a whole different level.

Once you play for cities like LA and NY, you start to go global in ways not possible in the smaller markets.

Oh, by they way, if you remember back to the Bejing Olympics in China, they talked about which player was by far the MOST popular NBA player in China. Do you remember who that was?

*Edit: Sure, LeBron makes a lot of endorsement dollars, but here’s a comparison… In 2007, LeBron made a massive amount of endorsement bucks to the tune of $25M. But, first on the list is Tiger Woods at $100M. Although LeBron is big in Cleveland, you can see where he would LIKE to be.