PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT, Kinda. Big Ten to offer four-year FB scholarships

This was approved by the NCAA, and the B1G is implementing it, starting with this recruiting class signing today.

Football only, though.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/44807/b1g-schools-offering-4-year-scholarships

From the article…

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told the paper that players can still lose their scholarship for academic failings and off-the-field transgressions, so a school won't be locked into keeping a troubled player. [b]And coaches can still [i]encourage[/i] players to transfer by letting them know they won't get any playing time if they stick around[/b].

This is nothing more than PR stuff. Same flavor, just marketed as “new and improved”.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:3036”]From the article…

This is nothing more than PR stuff. Same flavor, just marketed as “new and improved”.[/quote]

I disagree, I see this as a good move. There is nothing wrong with a coach encouraging a guy to transfer if he’s never going to get any PT and wants to play. Where I have an issue is with the coach pulling a scholarship from that player if they don’t want to leave. I see this move as a very good solution, as a coach can’t simply run guys off to free up ships if the player doesn’t want it. The one thing I’d be interested in knowing more about is how off the field conduct and/or lack of effort plays into this (situations where I think the coach should have the ability to pull the ship if he sees fit). Will there need to be some type of documentation in those circumstances so that a coach can’t simply use them as an excuse.

From the article...
Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told the paper that players can still lose their scholarship for academic failings and off-the-field transgressions, so a school won't be locked into keeping a troubled player. [b]And coaches can still [i]encourage[/i] players to transfer by letting them know they won't get any playing time if they stick around[/b].

This is nothing more than PR stuff. Same flavor, just marketed as “new and improved”.

I disagree, I see this as a good move. There is nothing wrong with a coach encouraging a guy to transfer if he’s never going to get any PT and wants to play. Where I have an issue is with the coach pulling a scholarship from that player if they don’t want to leave. I see this move as a very good solution, as a coach can’t simply run guys off to free up ships if the player doesn’t want it. The one thing I’d be interested in knowing more about is how off the field conduct and/or lack of effort plays into this (situations where I think the coach should have the ability to pull the ship if he sees fit). Will there need to be some type of documentation in those circumstances so that a coach can’t simply use them as an excuse.

LMAO.

On one hand, you say it’s different and a good move, then on the other you say a coach should be allowed to pull a ship for “lack of effort”. If that isn’t business as usual, then what is?

BTW - the answer to off the field conduct issues is easy. It should be exactly the same as it is now for yanking ships in mid-year. Unless the school’s normal judicial process disciplines the student-athlete, the coach has to keep his figurative hands off him.

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:3036"]From the article...

This is nothing more than PR stuff. Same flavor, just marketed as “new and improved”.[/quote]

LMAO.

On one hand, you say it’s different and a good move, then on the other you say a coach should be allowed to pull a ship for “lack of effort”. If that isn’t business as usual, then what is?

BTW - the answer to off the field conduct issues is easy. It should be exactly the same as it is now for yanking ships in mid-year. Unless the school’s normal judicial process disciplines the student-athlete, the coach has to keep his figurative hands off him.

If a kid stops showing up at practice, he should be allowed to have his scholarship yanked. I think the burden should be on the coach to show why the scholarship would no longer be honored. Today, he doesn’t have to have a reason at all, he can just not renew it.

LMAO.

One other thing the article didn’t explain very well…

Will ALL football scholarships be a 4-year scholarship, or just select ones designiated by the coach?

LMAO.

If a kid stops showing up at practice, he should be allowed to have his scholarship yanked. I think the burden should be on the coach to show why the scholarship would no longer be honored. Today, he doesn’t have to have a reason at all, he can just not renew it.

If you are going to put the burden on the coach, it better be something more than “lack of effort”. That’s way too much in the eyes of the beholder and is effectively no burden at all.

What will it do when, say, PSU offers a 4-year scholarship? Will other Big X schools have to offer then too, to keep up? What signal does it send to a recruit if a school isn’t willing to commit four years to you, when another school is?