OT - Kerry Collins

Kerry is going to have a real hard time making it at this level if he does not get rid of that hitch in his throwing motion.

JayPa tweeted that Kerry has more NFL starts than any Big Ten QB. Is that ever? Or just current NFL QBs?

I’m wearing a Collins Titans jersey right now.

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:25"]Kerry is going to have a real hard time making it at this level if he does not get rid of that hitch in his throwing motion.[/quote]

JayPa tweeted that Kerry has more NFL starts than any Big Ten QB. Is that ever? Or just current NFL QBs?

I would have to say current. Bob Griese had a pretty long career as did a few others. But Bob may have had his career start in the AFL.

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:25"]Kerry is going to have a real hard time making it at this level if he does not get rid of that hitch in his throwing motion.[/quote]

I would have to say current. Bob Griese had a pretty long career as did a few others. But Bob may have had his career start in the AFL.

I did a quick search at pro-football-reference. Collins is tied for 225th w/ 164 (165 after tonight?) I didn’t see any Big Ten quarterbacks I recognized ahead of him, but I didn’t research all the unfamiliar names. It wasn’t broken down by position

Griese played during the 14 game seasons, so that would be an advantage for Kerry.

I did a quick search at pro-football-reference. Collins is tied for 225th w/ 164 (165 after tonight?) I didn’t see any Big Ten quarterbacks I recognized ahead of him, but I didn’t research all the unfamiliar names. It wasn’t broken down by position

According to this article he is the all time leader. I didn’t realize how few great QB’s came from the Big Ten. I think only two HOF QBs (three if you count Tom Brady).

AFL – Right, that would explain the low number for Len Dawson. Didn’t even consider that angle. And the 16 game season is also an advantage.

AFL – Right, that would explain the low number for Len Dawson. Didn’t even consider that angle. And the 16 game season is also an advantage.

The Altoona Mirror stats are from the Super Bowl era, so starts of QBs that played for either the AFL OR the NFL before the merger aren’t counted. But, having said that, Collins has more starts than Dawson even if you include Dawson’s AFL numbers. Also Griese’s start in professional football coincided with the AFL/NFL merger so his AFL starts are already included.

That means Collins start record is almost assuredly EVER not just current (at least EVER from 1934 on when the NFL started keeping records).

In a recent press conference did ya hear JoePa teasing about Kerry. He was talking about Kerry’s broken finger injury suffered in the summer before his Junior year. I remember JoePa saying something like "He still doesn’t know how Kerry really broke his finger because he sure as *ell didn’t break it playing volleyball like he said he did."
Kerry had a great Spring Game before his Junior year. Passing for >400 yards. Of course he played for both teams for a while.

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:25”]In a recent press conference did ya hear JoePa teasing about Kerry. He was talking about Kerry’s broken finger injury suffered in the summer before his Junior year. I remember JoePa saying something like "He still doesn’t know how Kerry really broke his finger because he sure as *ell didn’t break it playing volleyball like he said he did."
Kerry had a great Spring Game before his Junior year. Passing for >400 yards. Of course he played for both teams for a while. [/quote]

The funny thing is how we all can joke about college hijinks years later (our own and others’), but we have to pretend that the current players are scholars who scurry from the practice field to the weight room to the library to class and as much as they can, to church.

In a recent press conference did ya hear JoePa teasing about Kerry. He was talking about Kerry's broken finger injury suffered in the summer before his Junior year. I remember JoePa saying something like "He still doesn't know how Kerry really broke his finger because he sure as *ell didn't break it playing volleyball like he said he did." Kerry had a great Spring Game before his Junior year. Passing for >400 yards. Of course he played for both teams for a while.

The funny thing is how we all can joke about college hijinks years later (our own and others’), but we have to pretend that the current players are scholars who scurry from the practice field to the weight room to the library to class and as much as they can, to church.

What do you mean pretend? :wink:

I always liked Collins. I think he is fine representative of our University.