PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: JoeBa named Assoc. Ath. Dir. for Ice Arena Operations

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:18, topic:1353”]Okay, Lar, now I’m confused. The press release indicates that Battista will be helping to raise $10 million more for the hockey program, and you’re saying that Battista will continue to raise money for Smeal for the next 18 months. I believe University Development also supervises Athletic Department fund raising, and it doesn’t make sense to me that Battista will have ongoing (and potentially conflicting) responsibilities for raising money for both Athletics and Smeal.

My take is that Battista will be focusing on hockey fund raising and other ice hockey administrative issues starting September 27. [/quote]

After going back and re-reading the press releases, I’ve decided that you are probably right regarding what he’ll be doing starting the end of the month. I interpreted the comment about Battista part-time reporting to University Development as meaning that he would continue his fund-raising role with Smeal. Part of that assumption was because athletic department fund raising is normally done through the Nittany Lion Club and the NLC Director reports to Tim Curley in the athletic department not University Development.

However, it appears that the fund raising for the hockey arena will be done through a separate campaign run by University Development and not the Athletic Department (I’m guessing similar to the way that they did the Bryce Jordan Center campaign - donors to the Bryce Jordan Center campaign didn’t get Nittany Lion Club points for their contribution, despite rumors to the contrary, so it appears likely that the same thing will happen with hockey). So JoeBa reports part time to University Development to raise the $10M, then takes over the Hockey AD job full time in December 2012 (and my math was also off on this - Dec 2012 is 2 1/4 years away not 1 1/4).

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:18, topic:1353”]Okay, Lar, now I’m confused. The press release indicates that Battista will be helping to raise $10 million more for the hockey program, and you’re saying that Battista will continue to raise money for Smeal for the next 18 months. I believe University Development also supervises Athletic Department fund raising, and it doesn’t make sense to me that Battista will have ongoing (and potentially conflicting) responsibilities for raising money for both Athletics and Smeal.

My take is that Battista will be focusing on hockey fund raising and other ice hockey administrative issues starting September 27. [/quote]

Joe needs to find a way to raise the $10M without falling into the same trap that they did at the BJC, i.e. going to the usual cast of characters and giving them priority seating based on the level of their contribution. Because of that decision, the hoops squad now finds themselves with a bunch of courtside absentee season ticket holders. They don’t need the same scenario playing out in hockey.

Q&A with Joe Battista, the angler who landed Penn State ice hockey’s Moby Dick

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/09/a_qa_with_joe_battista_the_ang.html