PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: JoeBa named Assoc. Ath. Dir. for Ice Arena Operations

Basically the Assoc. Ath. Dir. for Hockey. Congratulations, Coach… well deserved.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/092010aaa.html

So now we have an Assoc. Ath. Dir. for Football (Fran Ganter) and Hockey (JoeBa)… but no Assoc. Ath. Dir. for Basketball. ::slight_smile:

Just like how football has 1½ SIDs and we only have ½.

http://www.gopsusports.com/administration/staff-directory.html

ever think think that Battista’s salary is now covered by Pegula’s donation? The money was not just for the building, but also for the support of both hockey programs. yes, i think that PSU is still under supporting the basketball programs, but I’m sure that if donors would step up with the cash, they would accommodate.

Believe me, the AD would be happy to accept donations for coaching and scholarship endowments for the basketball programs. We don’t need to build a new BB facility, although a donor-paid second practice court would be nice. And if you wanted to create an endowment for enhanced marketing of BB, I’m sure that would be welcomed, too.

The Battista appointment is smart and expected.

I don’t believe it was mentioned at the press conference, but earlier reports had Pegula money divided as $75 million for the construction of the arena and $13 milli0on for a scholarship endowment. I wonder how many of the 18 scholarships for men and 20 for women’s hockey are covered by the annual interest generated from a $13 million endowment?

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:3, topic:1353”]Believe me, the AD would be happy to accept donations for coaching and scholarship endowments for the basketball programs. We don’t need to build a new BB facility, although a donor-paid second practice court would be nice. And if you wanted to create an endowment for enhanced marketing of BB, I’m sure that would be welcomed, too.

The Battista appointment is smart and expected.

I don’t believe it was mentioned at the press conference, but earlier reports had Pegula money divided as $75 million for the construction of the arena and $13 milli0on for a scholarship endowment. I wonder how many of the 18 scholarships for men and 20 for women’s hockey are covered by the annual interest generated from a $13 million endowment?[/quote]

The article on Philly.com said 18 and 18. I thought endowments were $500k each now. That would mean $18 million total for endowments and $70 million for the arena. Of course the article could be wrong. But Mr. Pegula was quoted as saying he is funding 36 scholarships as part of his donation.

Edit: Here is a link

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20100920_No_cheap_skates_at_Penn_State__thanks_to_donor.html

Also note that Battista will continue to work with Development for the next two years. That tells me that there is still some ice hockey funds to be raised. $88M doesn’t appear to be the final number for hockey.

$4 BILLION+ !!! My God that’s a lot of money. I don’t think I could spend that much. Seriously, if you spend a MILLION DOLLARS A DAY, it would still grow faster than you are taking.

surely, I see your point, let’s burn him as a witch, take all of his money and give it to the proletariat.

From the press release announcing the JoeBa appointment:

“As Director of the Ice Arena and Hockey Campaign, Battista will have principal responsibility for the fundraising efforts to secure $10 million to support the ice arena, the varsity ice hockey programs as well as the intramural and recreational programs that will be housed in the arena.”

Curley is clearly trying to avoid having the new hockey programs add to the operating costs that support the other 29 sports.

[quote="Still in State College, post:5, topic:1353"]Also note that Battista will continue to work with Development for the next two years. That tells me that there is still some ice hockey funds to be raised. $88M doesn't appear to be the final number for hockey.[/quote]

From the press release announcing the JoeBa appointment:

“As Director of the Ice Arena and Hockey Campaign, Battista will have principal responsibility for the fundraising efforts to secure $10 million to support the ice arena, the varsity ice hockey programs as well as the intramural and recreational programs that will be housed in the arena.”

Curley is clearing trying to avoid having the new hockey programs add to the operating costs that support the other 29 sports.

Evan,

I sort of remember speaking with JoeBa back in the mid to late 80’s when he headed up the Icers, that if the ice hockey team wanted to become varsity that they would pretty much have to support their own operation. Amazing that 23 years later, things haven’t really changed in that regard. I just hope the Athletic Department doesn’t just throw the hockey operation out there to try and survive on its own and will offer some support if necessary. Though with JoeBa in place, my feeling is the hockey ops will be in good hands. Oh, and add to that a passionate PSU hockey dude with $4 Bill in the bank ;D.

Any PSU hoop crazed alumni with a spouting well in the Gulf???

Congrats JoeBa…well deserved indeed.

Just a comment. Hockey seems to be an expensive sport. I read somewhere that 23 men’s scholorships will be allotted. I would guess a similar amount for the girls. Maintaining the rinks, equipment, traveling costs (large team/staff/equipment) and insurance add to the payouts.

The latest information I could find indicates that the NCAA allows 18 scholarships for Div. I men’s ice hockey and 18 for Div. I women’s ice hockey. These are equivalency (vs. head count) scholarships, so the coaches of both sports can divide up the scholarships to feed a larger squad.

Negotiating and juggling scholarship amounts among recruits and returning squad members must be one of the thornier challenges of coaching an equivalency scholarship sport.

That’s UNIVERSITY development that Battista is a working for. Specifically, he reports into the Smeal College of Business. What it should tell you is that there is more NON hockey funds to be raised.

[quote="Still in State College, post:5, topic:1353"]Also note that Battista will continue to work with Development for the next two years. That tells me that there is still some ice hockey funds to be raised. $88M doesn't appear to be the final number for hockey.[/quote]

That’s UNIVERSITY development that Battista is a working for. Specifically, he reports into the Smeal College of Business. What it should tell you is that there is more NON hockey funds to be raised.

From GoSports:

Until December of 2012, Battista will report to both University Development and Intercollegiate Athletics. After that date, he will report solely to Intercollegiate Athletics as he continues as the Associate Athletic Director for Ice Arena Operations. Battista will assume his new role on September 27.

As Director of the Ice Arena and Hockey Campaign, Battista will have principal responsibility for the fundraising efforts to secure $10 million to support the ice arena, the varsity ice hockey programs as well as the intramural and recreational programs that will be housed in the arena.

One of the great expenses now is stick replacement. With the advent of the Composite Stick players use a slightly greater number but at a much higher expense. An annual stick budget could be around $40k

Perhaps they are saving a job for JayPa once Joe retires? :wink:

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:1353"]Just a comment. Hockey seems to be an expensive sport. I read somewhere that 23 men's scholorships will be allotted. I would guess a similar amount for the girls. Maintaining the rinks, equipment, traveling costs (large team/staff/equipment) and insurance add to the payouts.[/quote]

One of the great expenses now is stick replacement. With the advent of the Composite Stick players use a slightly greater number but at a much higher expense. An annual stick budget could be around $40k

sounds similar to the aluminum bats are cheaper than wood scenario

From GoSports:

Until December of 2012, Battista will report to both University Development and Intercollegiate Athletics. After that date, he will report solely to Intercollegiate Athletics as he continues as the Associate Athletic Director for Ice Arena Operations. Battista will assume his new role on September 27.

As Director of the Ice Arena and Hockey Campaign, Battista will have principal responsibility for the fundraising efforts to secure $10 million to support the ice arena, the varsity ice hockey programs as well as the intramural and recreational programs that will be housed in the arena.

The fact that there would be an ongoing campaign was announced during the press conference on Friday.

“The construction of the new arena will be entirely funded by private gifts,” said Rod Kirsch, senior vice president for development and alumni relations. "Penn State will now be launching an ambitious campaign to ask other donors to join Terry and Kim in supporting this facility and the creation of other endowments to support the hockey and skating programs.

So the new news isn’t that there is more hockey funds to be raised, it’s that Battista will continue to be doing development work for the Smeal College of Business for the next year and a quarter.

Okay, Lar, now I’m confused. The press release indicates that Battista will be helping to raise $10 million more for the hockey program, and you’re saying that Battista will continue to raise money for Smeal for the next 18 months. I believe University Development also supervises Athletic Department fund raising, and it doesn’t make sense to me that Battista will have ongoing (and potentially conflicting) responsibilities for raising money for both Athletics and Smeal.

My take is that Battista will be focusing on hockey fund raising and other ice hockey administrative issues starting September 27.

[quote="Skeeza, post:6, topic:1353"]$4 BILLION+ !!!! My God that's a lot of money. I don't think I could spend that much. Seriously, if you spend a [b]MILLION DOLLARS A DAY[/b], it would still grow faster than you are taking.[/quote]

surely, I see your point, let’s burn him as a witch, take all of his money and give it to the proletariat.

You don’t see my point. Don’t read into my statement. I was just pointing out that $4 Billion is A LOT OF MONEY !!! :-X

[quote="Skeeza, post:6, topic:1353"]$4 BILLION+ !!!! My God that's a lot of money. I don't think I could spend that much. Seriously, if you spend a [b]MILLION DOLLARS A DAY[/b], it would still grow faster than you are taking.[/quote]

You don’t see my point. Don’t read into my statement. I was just pointing out that $4 Billion is A LOT OF MONEY !!! :-X

gee, I didn’t realize that.