OT: Jimmer Fredette

His performance yesterday was amazing. After seeing Talor Battle play a handful of times as a junior in HS, I just had to see the “A” level player who was outscoring him by about 1ppg at ~30ppg. Drove to Glens Falls HS, about an hour drive, to enter a gym in which there was barely a seat. Thank goodness for bench seating. Had to be 3,000 people on a Friday night. Then, the next year, I saw him play in the “A” state finals vs. Peekskill, at the state venue for its championships, the Glens Falls Civic Center. In 4,800 seat arena, it was SRO, probably 6,500 people. His team lost both games. Like quoted in the article, I thought he was too slow with a shaky handle. Go figure. He does have good size, very strong, and he likes to score in the paint. And he’s got a great shot. And a 90% FT shooter, which he was all thru HS. Parsons on Florida played vs. Battle and Jimmer when they were on the city rocks in summer '06. Parsons said Battle was the man then, but things have changed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=5007344

His handle must’ve significantly improved - he has a few step back crossover moves yesterday alone that made him look pretty elite.

I’ve been following him closely all this season, he’s incredibly entertaining to watch.

Love his little wave to the camera while lying on his back under the hoop during OT. One of the better moments of the tournament that you will see in the “One Shining Moment” video at the end.

Have become a big fan of Jimmer’s this year and now an even bigger one that I have the Cougars going to the Final Four in one of my big pools. If they can get past Kansas State next round (big IF), they’ll play the Regional games in Salt Lake City.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1003”]His handle must’ve significantly improved - he has a few step back crossover moves yesterday alone that made him look pretty elite.

I’ve been following him closely all this season, he’s incredibly entertaining to watch.[/quote]

He does have that crossover step back which did look great. His overall handle though? Still a question mark, IMO. Did you see Boynton pick him with 20 secs left in OT? It looked like he was taking a piece of cake off a plate. He was kind of statue like. IMO, he’s more of a 2. I still think his speed is an issue. Be interesting to see how he does going forward. He sure can shoot. I’ll be rooting for him. I see he’s putting his name into the draft. Wonder if Battle does same.

Most effective guard at utilizing such an array of scoop shots around the basket I’ve seen in awhile. With the step-back 3 (a la Joe Crispin) in his arsenal, he’s almost unguardable. BYU’s a fun team to watch.

I had the pleasure to watch a few games with Jimmer’s brother and mother (his dad was always coaching). they were both very nice people and of course very proud of Jimmer.

In this video you can see Jimmer when he was very young and even playing wide receiver which is what Penn State offered him a scholarship to play.

T.J. Fredette - Amazing

And he was recruited to play football for Penn State.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/mar/20/byu-guard-tough/

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/mar/20/byu-guard-tough/

Can’t say I ever heard his name mentioned as someone PSU was recruiting for football.[/quote]