PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: It's MASTERS WEEK!

Martin Kaymer hole in one with ball skipped across the water at 16 - 2012 Masters (Original HD Recor

GO PHIL!

“Hello, friends.”

Setting my DVR as we speak. I love the par 3 tournament today. Not rooting for Phil or Tiger - nothing against either. Would love to see Dustin Johsnon bust out here!!! Wish I was one of the “On grounds patrons”.

On a sidenote - before I gave up my football season tickets I used to sit behind a family in Section SG whose son is the head Pro at Augusta National. Told me a story from a couple years ago where 3 guys were playing the course and asked their son the pro to be their fourth. Coming around Amen Corner word got out that the Pro was having a great round so a lot of people walked out to follow the group in. The Pro finished the round at -7 (think that was it). He got his 3 partners to sign a ball for him. The signatures read"

Archie Manning
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

Pretty cool!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Dustin withdrew yesterday with an injury.

Setting my DVR as we speak. I love the par 3 tournament today. Not rooting for Phil or Tiger - nothing against either. Would love to see Dustin Johsnon bust out here!!! Wish I was one of the "On grounds patrons".

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Dustin withdrew yesterday with an injury.

Way to ruin my week Frats ;D Go get em Ricky

My father played Augusta National in February of 2002. He had just beat colon cancer and retired, all in 2001, the year prior. He and mom were in Florida for the winter in Naples and he got a phone call from a former business associate who was a VP at Corning. This VP was good friends with a VP at Coca-Cola, who happened to be a member at Augusta. It was set up and my father was in heaven that he was asked to play golf at the one course he loves more than any other. They played the par 3 course, had lunch, and then played 18 holes with caddies from the club. There are some really neat stories on the caddies but I’ll keep this short. My fathers best line on his round at Augusta was that the first time you play Augusta National, you simply do not care what score you shoot. You are in awe of the course, the surroundings, the history, and the feelings you have while on the these hallowed grounds. A picture of my father in Butler Cabin along with the scorecard of his day are framed at their condo in Naples.
I’m hoping at some point in my life I have the same opportunity to play the course. I’ve played 3 US Open courses and countless other great courses, but Augusta National may be my most prized place to play a round of golf. I enjoy Masters week more than any other golf week during the year.

[quote=“Mrm170, post:6, topic:3226”]My father played Augusta National in February of 2002. He had just beat colon cancer and retired, all in 2001, the year prior. He and mom were in Florida for the winter in Naples and he got a phone call from a former business associate who was a VP at Corning. This VP was good friends with a VP at Coca-Cola, who happened to be a member at Augusta. It was set up and my father was in heaven that he was asked to play golf at the one course he loves more than any other. They played the par 3 course, had lunch, and then played 18 holes with caddies from the club. There are some really neat stories on the caddies but I’ll keep this short. My fathers best line on his round at Augusta was that the first time you play Augusta National, you simply do not care what score you shoot. You are in awe of the course, the surroundings, the history, and the feelings you have while on the these hallowed grounds. A picture of my father in Butler Cabin along with the scorecard of his day are framed at their condo in Naples.
I’m hoping at some point in my life I have the same opportunity to play the course. I’ve played 3 US Open courses and countless other great courses, but Augusta National may be my most prized place to play a round of golf. I enjoy Masters week more than any other golf week during the year.[/quote]

Very cool story, thanks for sharing. It’s a dream of mine to play there one day also.

Par 3 tournament cancelled because of weather :frowning: At least got to see the Big 3 play and a half holes and see Arnold birdie #2. Almost had a hole in one. He put his tee shot a couple of feet for birdie on #3 and then the horn blew.

I love the par 3 tournament and seeing the players with their kids out on the course.

OK, since we’re sharing Master’s stories…

When I was in pre-school, we lived in Augusta. Our house was about a block and 1/2 away from the main gate (on the other side of Washington Ave.). The only thing I remember about the place (I was 4 when we moved away) was the stockade fence htat ran around the course, and the thick hedges in front of th fence that kept you from even trying to look through the wooden slats. In various places there were no tresspassing signs (but not generic ones, even those were high-class signs with more than just “Keep out”)… Anyway, I used to always think there was something pretty special on the other side of that fence if they went to those lengths to keep you from even looking in.

Townines pretty much clear out for the week, and rent their homes out to visitors. The rents go for enough to cover multiple month’s worth of mortgage payments. Being so close to the gate, much of our neighborhhod cleared out for the week. One spring, our next door neighbor was one of 2 houses considered for rental by President Nixon.

Dad was stationed at Ft Gordon, and back then they used to give out practice round tickets to the military familes, so Mom got tix and took my (much) older Bro and Sis into the course. This was the early 70’s… Mom didn’t feel like walking up and down the hills, so my brother had to stay up by the clubhouse with her and never got to walk down towards Amen corner. My sister, who at 12 was a little older and was there with a girl friend, caught the eye of a young pro there for the first time. For whatever reason, he wanted to the two young ladies to walk his practice round with him… said he’d rather talk to them than the other people who would be tagging along so the two girls agreed. SO… I don’t get in at all, Bro got to see 18 and the clubhouse, and Sis got to walk 18 at ANat with Lee Travino there for his 1st Master’s. And she’s the one in the family who doesn’t play!!!

Someday I’d like to get back there and be able to see the other side of that fence…

I had the chance to play Pebble Beach for only a small fee back when I had family working there. I’m not a golfer, but really wished I was just to take him up on the offer.

I’m rooting for McIlroy, but he’s among favorites. If not him, Keegan Bradley, a Vermonter. I played Shinnecock Hills once and Bethpage Black half a dozen times (much harder than Shinnecock), been on Winged Foot a few times for the Open. Shinnecock does have the wicker baskets rather than flags(doesn’t Merion have them too?), so you can’t judge the wind. Gorgeous greens too, but not on the water, kind of unusual as its on Long Island. Bethpage either, landlocked. Bethpage is so stupidly hard, IMO, without a caddie to find errant drives, you’re likely to lose 10 balls per round. In great shape, but so many blind and/or long shots, unless you hit fairways and drive 270 yds. pretty consistently, the course wears you out. The 4th has two blind shots in a row, to the second fairway, then to the green. Ben Hogan walked off after this hole, saying, “this is not golf.”

I think Rory is going to win it.

I like Rory, I’d rather see him win it than Tiger. I’ll also be rooting for Ricky F. or any other American that has not yet won a major.

I don’t really care who wins. I just want a Sunday leaderboard with Tiger, Phil, Rory, etc. Makes it so much more interesting. I do like Rory a lot. He seems genuine. He made me laugh last year after he won the US Open. He was asked if he down a few Guinness to celebrate. His response? “No, I don’t like the stuff.” Guess he burned that possible sponsorship bridge.

I celebrated my two-year anniversary of GBS this week… In the early days, I was easily overstimulated and wanted only the simplest answers to my questions. I blinked out two: who won the NCAAs, and did Tiger win the Master’s. When someone started a long story about the Master’s, I blinked furiously to get them to stop and just answer the question: No. I remember someone else in the room saying to the person “that’s all he wanted to know.”

Tiger messed up for sure. But you gotta separate an athlete’s (or musician’s) excellence from their character. Watching Tiger come up was one of the great joys of my sports fandom life. I’m still rooting for him. I feel like one of my dad’s generation, still hanging onto Arnie while Jack was taking over the scene.

Disagree. I thought the guy was a schmuck before he messed up and now I think he is an even
bigger schmuck now and I just can’t root for the guy.

I just don’t care about what Tiger did. He didn’t sleep with my mom, any of my ex’s or any of my friend’s girlfriends, so why should I care? I understand why someone would be against him for it, but I just find it unnecessary.

I want Tiger and Rory to be multiple shots ahead of the field, and in the final group. That would be must see TV, all day.

[quote="tjb, post:15, topic:3226"]Tiger messed up for sure. But you gotta separate an athlete's (or musician's) excellence from their character.[/quote]

Disagree. I thought the guy was a schmuck before he messed up and now I think he is an even

Poorly phrased on my part… “You gotta”. I try to do so, is what I meant to say. My short stint as a sportswriter led me to conclude that very, very few of the elite athletes with access to endless temptation did not avail themselves of the opportunity. But they still did amazing things on the field/floor, that can be appreciated for its own sake. The “character” mythology around sports helps us rationalize our obsessions, but it is largely a mythology.

[quote="tjb, post:15, topic:3226"]Tiger messed up for sure. But you gotta separate an athlete's (or musician's) excellence from their character.[/quote]

Poorly phrased on my part… “You gotta”. I try to do so, is what I meant to say. My short stint as a sportswriter led me to conclude that very, very few of the elite athletes with access to endless temptation did not avail themselves of the opportunity. But they still did amazing things on the field/floor, that can be appreciated for its own sake. The “character” mythology around sports helps us rationalize our obsessions, but it is largely a mythology.

The straw that broke the camel’s back, so to speak, for his wife, was that in coming clean, Tiger admitted sleeping with his next door neighbor’s 21 yr. old daughter. Probably not too many elite athletes have done anything like that. In a class by himself, IMO. To marry someone and continue his sexual trysts during his entire time married also distinguishes him, IMO. He deserves forgiveness, given time and behavioral change, for sure, but his behavior is unprecedented by any #1 player in his sport. Wilt claims he slept with 20,000 women, but he was unmarried. Lots of cheating husbands, but can you name any #1’s who did so before and during the birth of their first two kids?

I just finished reading a review copy of Silver bats and automobiles : the hotly competitive, sometimes ignoble pursuit of the major league batting championship by David L. Fleitz. Players, managers, etc. were just as morally dubious back in teh good old days as they are now.