PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Hubbard leaves Iowa

After just 4 weeks on campus. Strange.

http://thegazette.com/2011/07/14/iowas-anthony-hubbard-to-leave-basketball-team/

[quote=“eric17, post:1, topic:2551”]After just 4 weeks on campus. Strange.

http://thegazette.com/2011/07/14/iowas-anthony-hubbard-to-leave-basketball-team/[/quote]

Maybe somebody took his cell phone

You hate to read into it too deeply…but it sure is easy not to try to read into this.

No matter how it reads… there will be another taker!!

I just saw this on ESPN. I’m pretty sure that someone will offer him a scholarship and he will get to play next season.

I am holding out for a rephrase of this before I respond.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2551"]You hate to read into it too deeply...but it sure is easy not to try to read into this.[/quote]

I am holding out for a rephrase of this before I respond.

Simply stated…I’ll bite my tongue for now…he deserves that much.

It won’t be a BCS taker, and it will be a very desperate coach that takes a chance on this one.

One of the best points of the article is how it really points out the gamble that Coach McCaffery took with this recruit. McCaffery says himself, "“I’m a realist … I know what the climate is.”

It’s one thing for a coach to put his neck on the line for a kids that has a checkered past, if he performs for the team. The next coach will look not only at this kid’s past, but also how he bolted so quickly and say, “I’ll do it for a kid that helps me win, but NOT for someone who is going to run off in a few weeks leaving me to look like an idiot with my program in even worse shape than when he arrived!!”

Look for a coach in a “I don’t know why he wasn’t fired last year” position to take a chance. One who needs desperately to win this season at all costs. That coach may take a chance. I can’t think of any off the top of my head that may fit the bill, but I’m sure there are a few out there.

What makes this even worse for Iowa is that they had a good chance of getting Matt Glover. It appeared at the time that Hubbard had privately committed to them so they canceled Glover’s scheduled visit and then he visited Penn State. There was an article on the Iowa Scout site that mentioned how McCaffery agonized over the decision to cancel Glover’s visit because he really liked him. McCaffery believed that with Hubbard already committed there would not be enough playing time available for Glover.

Ngameday… can you say obsession

I wouldn’t infer anything about this, and think that the simplest explanation is that a guy 26 years old and fairly life experienced quickly sized up he didn’t want to be at the University of Iowa.

Tim,

That’s exactly what I read into this…

Hubbard was 18 when he got into trouble with the law. He’s now 26 and seems not only to have learned his lesson, but done something positive with his life.

Who are we to infer that this kid was bad news before so he has to be bad news now.

Kids change, and a lot of times they change for the better after seeing that what they did in the past is wrong.

Right now, I have to believe that Iowa was not the place for Hubbard and he found that out right away and at a time when he could do something about it without having his eligibility further penalized. Also, he says he wants to be closer to home. Because he committed a crime, does that make him different than Brian Oliver, who left GaTech to play closer to home. I guess it does due to his background, but in 2011, I feel their decisions are one and the same.

Bad kid… ???..great mature kid… ???.

How the heck does anyone know?? Good gravy…No info was given WHY he left. NO INFO is NO INFO!! Why do people feel the need to infer ??? The “closer to home” comment is usually standard B.S. Regardless of what the REAL story is…it does not belong in the media! PLUS…why would anyone care what the REAL story was…he not coming to PSU.

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:2551”]Bad kid… ???..great mature kid… ???.

How the heck does anyone know?? Good gravy…No info was given WHY he left. NO INFO is NO INFO!! Why do people feel the need to infer ??? The “closer to home” comment is usually standard B.S. Regardless of what the REAL story is…it does not belong in the media! PLUS…why would anyone care what the REAL story was…he not coming to PSU.[/quote]

Good answer Tundra, I like the way you think. I am going to be watching you. Keep up the good work.

[quote="tundra, post:13, topic:2551"]Bad kid................... ???......................great mature kid.................... ???.

How the heck does anyone know?? Good gravy…No info was given WHY he left. NO INFO is NO INFO!! Why do people feel the need to infer ??? The “closer to home” comment is usually standard B.S. Regardless of what the REAL story is…it does not belong in the media! PLUS…why would anyone care what the REAL story was…he not coming to PSU.[/quote]

Good answer Tundra, I like the way you think. I am going to be watching you. Keep up the good work.

Careful Lock…you may end up on the “Bad Boy” list like myself!!

You should see the posters on my wall

I think its a kid whos making a lot of stupid decisions.

If he was so experienced in life, he should have realized that very very few people are granted a second opportunity like he has been, and that he had better make a good decision during the recruiting process, and that he will burn some serious bridges if he backs out of this committment one month in.