OT: How they make ice

In case you ever wondered how they create the ice for the hockey rinks in the football/baseball stadia.

[flash=200,200]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=568204426683[/flash]

Wow - that’s pretty neat.

Is it pretty standard to have uneven playing surfaces at major football stadiums though? Seems like that should be fixed, if possible.

All good football fields are crowned for drainage

I guess that makes sense - what sort’ve degree of slope is involved in that though?

Many many moons ago, I used to sell programs at Beaver Stadium and we got to go on the field for our organizational meeting. I sprawled out on one side of the 50yd line and had a friend stand on the side and the crown of the field looked to come up not quite to mid shin, so we figured that it was about a 12-16 inch difference. That’s not a big deal for football, but a bit of a problem for laying a sheet of ice.

I found this diagram on the turfgrass site for Missouri.

Well that’d then be an 8-12" slope

are you questioning the dead-on balls accuracy of my git down and eyeball it technique?

My question would be "why do they hae to go through all that trouble to level the ice? Doesn’t water naturally level itself?

Well that'd then be an 8-12" slope

are you questioning the dead-on balls accuracy of my git down and eyeball it technique?

Nah, just practicing my math skills. Besides, we both included 12" :slight_smile:

by using foam to level you need less ice and less time for it to freeze. also, i’m guessing it is easier to freeze and maintain ice that is the same thickness.

[quote="Skeeza, post:9, topic:794"]My question would be "why do they hae to go through all that trouble to level the ice? Doesn't water naturally level itself?[/quote]

by using foam to level you need less ice and less time for it to freeze. also, i’m guessing it is easier to freeze and maintain ice that is the same thickness.

Freeze faster? It’s Minnesota ! …plus, they have the refriderated coils under the surface

All of the electronic topography and uniquely carved styrophoam seems a bit much

[quote="Skeeza, post:9, topic:794"]My question would be "why do they hae to go through all that trouble to level the ice? Doesn't water naturally level itself?[/quote]

Freeze faster? It’s Minnesota ! …plus, they have the refriderated coils under the surface

All of the electronic topography and uniquely carved styrophoam seems a bit much

Skeeza - are you really that naive or are you just gaming us.

For one - it’s Wisconsin not Minnesota,
Secondly - how long do you think it actually takes to freeze a 12 inches of ice?
Thirdly - even if you manage to freeze your 12 inches of ice, how in the hell do you defrost it to remove the ice from the field?
Fourth - what do you do if you come up with a warm spell, cancel the game and tell the TV bigwigs who’ve paid all this money for the game to blame it on Mother Nature?

There’s absolutely no overkill involved.

Couldn’t they just play roller hockey is the ice were to melt? :wink: