OT: High School Basekball Experience

I had an opportunity to play with 5 other guys last night against a local High School team here in Michigan. Its the holidays and the team hadn’t played in a week and wanted a scrimmage before their next game. So myself and 5 other guys got together to play them. All of the guys on my team were all in our early 30’s (i’m almost 33). We played four 8 minute quarters. And for the record I haven’t played basketball consistantly since i was 23 or so.
I took away a few things that I’m sure are easy to see on paper but to play it and experience it i guess gave me a different perspective on the experience.

Endurance was by far the biggest difference between the teenyboppers and us 30’s guys. I found myself winded (and I’m a runner) during various times throughout the game. The high school team apparently is farily good, although only 2 kids have any shot playing college ball (probably D-II). They ran a lot of plays around their best player who was 6-3 tweener. Good athlete, fairly polished, good rebounder. Kind of like a poor-mans Jamelle Cornely but he didn’t use his body as much as he should have against us smaller players.

However, us 30’s guys kept the game fairly close (we lost by 6 points and then played an extra 8 minute quarter to a 14-14 tie). Experience was by far the biggest reason we kept the game close. Even though none of us 30s guys played together before, we knew where to go, we knew how to create shots for others. I was alarmed that neither point guard had a left hand.

I haven’t been around high school basketball since I myself was in high school, but I guess I was alarmed at the lack of basketball IQ those kids had. Maybe it was merely this particular high school but I’m guessing not. When I start thinking about the current freshman on our team I feel that Edwards has a great feel for the game (the game comes rather natural to him I guess is how I could describe it). Frazier is still raw. Way too many mistakes with the ball (and even without). I haven’t seen Sasa enough to even comment.

All in all though, it was a really cool experience to play against the teenyboppers. I’ve gotten away from playing basketball as I have gotten older but last night is making me think I need to look for a league to join. I enjoyed it that much.

Kid Coyote, you seem as close to high school basketball as anyone…what do you see from your perspective?

Lastly, after the game the coach came over and I asked him what the biggest problem he has with kids he coaches. He says most are too sensitive and don’t seem to put in the time that his generation used to (and he was only a few years older than me). He clarified that when he was in high school he would use his free time to go to the gym to work on his shot or play pick up games. Now, he says kids just want to play video games.

Any way, i’m sore and 3 advil are forthcoming.

[quote=“Mrm170, post:1, topic:570”]I had an opportunity to play with 5 other guys last night against a local High School team here in Michigan. Its the holidays and the team hadn’t played in a week and wanted a scrimmage before their next game. So myself and 5 other guys got together to play them. All of the guys on my team were all in our early 30’s (i’m almost 33). We played four 8 minute quarters. And for the record I haven’t played basketball consistantly since i was 23 or so.
I took away a few things that I’m sure are easy to see on paper but to play it and experience it i guess gave me a different perspective on the experience.

Endurance was by far the biggest difference between the teenyboppers and us 30’s guys. I found myself winded (and I’m a runner) during various times throughout the game. The high school team apparently is farily good, although only 2 kids have any shot playing college ball (probably D-II). They ran a lot of plays around their best player who was 6-3 tweener. Good athlete, fairly polished, good rebounder. Kind of like a poor-mans Jamelle Cornely but he didn’t use his body as much as he should have against us smaller players.

However, us 30’s guys kept the game fairly close (we lost by 6 points and then played an extra 8 minute quarter to a 14-14 tie). Experience was by far the biggest reason we kept the game close. Even though none of us 30s guys played together before, we knew where to go, we knew how to create shots for others. I was alarmed that neither point guard had a left hand.

I haven’t been around high school basketball since I myself was in high school, but I guess I was alarmed at the lack of basketball IQ those kids had. Maybe it was merely this particular high school but I’m guessing not. When I start thinking about the current freshman on our team I feel that Edwards has a great feel for the game (the game comes rather natural to him I guess is how I could describe it). Frazier is still raw. Way too many mistakes with the ball (and even without). I haven’t seen Sasa enough to even comment.

All in all though, it was a really cool experience to play against the teenyboppers. I’ve gotten away from playing basketball as I have gotten older but last night is making me think I need to look for a league to join. I enjoyed it that much.

Kid Coyote, you seem as close to high school basketball as anyone…what do you see from your perspective?

Lastly, after the game the coach came over and I asked him what the biggest problem he has with kids he coaches. He says most are too sensitive and don’t seem to put in the time that his generation used to (and he was only a few years older than me). He clarified that when he was in high school he would use his free time to go to the gym to work on his shot or play pick up games. Now, he says kids just want to play video games.

Any way, i’m sore and 3 advil are forthcoming.[/quote]

Did you mean they can’t dribble with their left hand or don’t have one period. I have trouble dribbling with my left hand too but I broke the wrist in college and it was never the same.

[quote="Mrm170, post:1, topic:570"]I had an opportunity to play with 5 other guys last night against a local High School team here in Michigan. Its the holidays and the team hadn't played in a week and wanted a scrimmage before their next game. So myself and 5 other guys got together to play them. All of the guys on my team were all in our early 30's (i'm almost 33). We played four 8 minute quarters. And for the record I haven't played basketball consistantly since i was 23 or so. I took away a few things that I'm sure are easy to see on paper but to play it and experience it i guess gave me a different perspective on the experience.

Did you mean they can’t dribble with their left hand or don’t have one period. I have trouble dribbling with my left hand too but I broke the wrist in college and it was never the same.

I’m confused. Are you actually questioning whether this basketball team has not one, but 2 players who literally have only one hand?! And both point guards to boot?!

[quote=“Mrm170, post:1, topic:570”]I had an opportunity to play with 5 other guys last night against a local High School team here in Michigan. Its the holidays and the team hadn’t played in a week and wanted a scrimmage before their next game. So myself and 5 other guys got together to play them. All of the guys on my team were all in our early 30’s (i’m almost 33). We played four 8 minute quarters. And for the record I haven’t played basketball consistantly since i was 23 or so.

Sorry for the late reply. Unlike the prior two posters I will assume the two players each had both hands, but didn’t use them well.

Re the video games thing, I think that is a problem. Too much money, TV, texting, video games, movies, etc. Add in kids’ having their own car, and it’s an issue, the distractions.

Another problem I see is coaching. Most of it stinks. It doesn’t make sense to try to play like Michael Jordan or UNC if you don’t have super athletes. Coaches should be required to get some kind of coaching license, like is available in soccer. Getting AD’s to enforce them getting them is another story. Imagine an AD at PSU to get Paterno to change his ways. Well, you have HS coaches at schools 10, 20 years or more, so AD’s are intimidated, so do nothing.

Best teams I see are usually made up of poor, urban kids, with less options due to money, and eat, breathe and die hoops. Very athletic, very tough, often have big guys. Not necessarily skilled, NYC teams among worst shooters imaginable, e.g., Kemba Walker, UConn, but are super athletes, press full court, crash the boards, and jam it down your throat. All transition ball. Colleges get them, work them into scheme. Not really representative of most HS teams in country.