PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Hazell was Shot?

Did I miss this story? noobd? Comments?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5995409

You indeed missed it. I’ve read 40 different articles on it, but I’ll give you my version:

Hazell was given permission by the staff to go home to Harlem for Christmas instead of saying in a hotel with the team before the Richmond game on the 26th. Christmas night, he was returning from a party with his brother and a friend when he was approached by four men outside his apartment at 3am. They told him to sit on a bench, while the mugger’s hand was in his pocket, concealing a gun. Hazell shoved him, and they ran. As they were running, the mugger fired 4 shots, 1 hit Hazell around his rib/armpit area, entering from the back. It was a flesh wound, so “no biggie” was far as gun shot wounds are concerned.

Willard and the staff said they weren’t notified until shortly after the Richmond game (it was broken to the public then), although I know someone who knew during the game. I find it hard to believe that the staff didn’t know.

Obvious concerns are why was he at a party, in Harlem, that late? I understand the being home with his mother factor, but being out at 3am isn’t a family dinner. Hazell was back on the bench for the USF game on the 28th, cheering his team on rather vocally.

[quote=“noobd, post:2, topic:1736”]You indeed missed it. I’ve read 40 different articles on it, but I’ll give you my version:

Hazell was given permission by the staff to go home to Harlem for Christmas instead of saying in a hotel with the team before the Richmond game on the 26th. Christmas night, he was returning from a party with his brother and a friend when he was approached by four men outside his apartment at 3am. They told him to sit on a bench, while the mugger’s hand was in his pocket, concealing a gun. Hazell shoved him, and they ran. As they were running, the mugger fired 4 shots, 1 hit Hazell around his rib/armpit area, entering from the back. It was a flesh wound, so “no biggie” was far as gun shot wounds are concerned.

Willard and the staff said they weren’t notified until shortly after the Richmond game (it was broken to the public then), although I know someone who knew during the game. I find it hard to believe that the staff didn’t know.

Obvious concerns are why was he at a party, in Harlem, that late? I understand the being home with his mother factor, but being out at 3am isn’t a family dinner. Hazell was back on the bench for the USF game on the 28th, cheering his team on rather vocally.[/quote]

Who cares if he was out at 3am? He wasn’t playing, so no big deal.

Last call in NY is 4 am. I spent many 3 a.m.s on the town.

Harlem isn’t exactly the same thing as Manhattan.

Uhhhhh… ??? ??? ??? ???

You know what I mean…

There are plenty of places in Harlem open until 4:00 am (and actually much later if you know where to go). The point is that going home at 3 am in NYC isn’t much different than heading home at midnight or 1 am in most other places. For a kid that isn’t playing in the game the next day, it should be no big deal.

I’m just saying that 3AM, outside of a public housing project in Harlem is not equivalent to 3AM in Times Square.

Hazell had 23 points in his first game back, while wearing some type of clunky brace on his non-shooting hand/wrist. First game back in a little under 2 months coming back from a broken wrist and gunshot wound - he only practiced with the team once in that span.

Its a pleasure to watch Battle and Hazell play at their respective schools. Both are real gamers.

In my day it was. :slight_smile: They have ruined Times Square!

I'm just saying that 3AM, outside of a public housing project in Harlem is not equivalent to 3AM in Times Square.

In my day it was. :slight_smile: They have ruined Times Square!

Preferred the streetwalkers, did you? :wink: