PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Government Seizes Domain Names

The Government siezed 75 domain names due to copyright infringement. George Orwell is alive and well. Here’s the list:

2009jerseys.com
51607.com
amoyhy.com
b2corder.com
bishoe.com
borntrade.com
borntrade.net
boxedtvseries.com
boxset4less.com
boxsetseries.com
burberryoutletshop.com
cartoon77.com
cheapscarfshop.com
coachoutletfactory.com
dajaz1.com
discountscarvesonsale.com
dvdcollectionsale.com
dvdcollects.com
dvdorderonline.com
dvdprostore.com
dvdscollection.com

dvdsetsonline.com
dvdsuperdeal.com
eluxury-outlet.com
getdvdset.com
gofactoryoutlet.com
golfstaring.com
golfwholesale18.com
handbag9.com
handbagcom.com
handbagspop.com
icqshoes.com
ipodnanouk.com
jersey-china.com
jerseyclubhouse.com
jordansbox.com
lifetimereplicas.com
louis-vuitton-outlet-store.com
lv-outlets.com
lv-outlets.net
lv-outletstore.com
massnike.com
merrytimberland.com
mycollects.com
mydreamwatches.com
mygolfwholesale.com
newstylerolex.com
nfljerseysupply.com
nibdvd.com
odvdo.com
oebags.com

overbestmall.com
rapgodfathers.com
realtimberland.com
rmx4u.com
scarfonlineshop.com
scarfviponsale.com
shawls-store.com
silkscarf-shop.com
silkscarfonsale.com
skyergolf.com
sohob2b.com
sohob2c.com
storeofeast.com
stuff-trade.com
sunglasses-mall.com
sunogolf.com
tbl-sports.com
throwbackguy.com
tiesonsale.com
timberlandlike.com
topabuy.com
torrent-finder.com
unclelar[sup][size=6pt]TM[/size][/sup]recruitingmatrix.com
usaburberryscarf.com
usaoutlets.net

Okay, I added one. :wink:

I’m sorry but cybersquatting and fraudulently representing your website off of another company’s good name and reputation is illegal.

Don’t disagree, but “tiesonsale.com and scarfonsale.com and golfwholesale18.com”? How can those be fraudulent url’s? When I sign into other sites, sometimes I try kidc or ckid, and those are taken. So I go to ckid15, or something they suggest. What’s the difference? If someone has “golfwholesale” and you add 18, what’s the problem? If someone has “golf” does that mean everybody else is shut out from selling golf equipment? If they’re selling fraudulent copyrighted goods, Gucci, Timberland, etc., sure it’s different, but how about a charge or arrest? If there’s a charge or complaint, file a claim, a cease and desist or a lawsuit. Maybe it was done. But a Government seizure? Where’s the legal protection? I bet you see some of these sites file suit(s). We’ll soon see.

I knew this guy who could make twenty dollar bills that looked absolutely real. I didn’t think he’d ever have to have to work a day in his life again. Well, I was sort of right, damn govt came and threw him in jail for “counterfeiting.”

This is an effort by the large content industries and their bought-and-paid-for cronies in government to try to bolster support for their unconstitutional COICA bill which passed the senate last week, but hasn’t gotten through the house yet.

For more info: http://www.eff.org/coica and http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804

Hey if I buy a domain name and hold onto it before somebody else. Why can’t I hold onto it? I know people who have made pretty good profits from domain names.

Most of you guys are missing the issue.

The problem is that they are doing it without having to get a court order. Most of those sites are either selling fake goods or are illegal download sites. If the government wants to go after the offenders, then they should do it through normal judicial channels. However, at least one of those sites is simply a search engine (Torrent-Finder) which raises some real freedom of speech questions. Also, the sites have very limited recourse in appealing Homeland Security’s actions.

This is just another case of the government overstepping their bounds under the guise of fighting terrorism.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:7, topic:1554”]Most of you guys are missing the issue.

The problem is that they are doing it without having to get a court order. Most of those sites are either selling fake goods or are illegal download sites. If the government wants to go after the offenders, then they should do it through normal judicial channels. However, at least one of those sites is simply a search engine (Torrent-Finder) which raises some real freedom of speech questions. Also, the sites have very limited recourse in appealing Homeland Security’s actions.

This is just another case of the government overstepping their bounds under the guise of fighting terrorism. [/quote]

so is the issue that homeland security shut them down and not some other agency? If they are selling illegal and counterfeit/bootleg items, it’s hard to be very sympathetic to the site owners

[quote="UncleLar, post:7, topic:1554"]Most of you guys are missing the issue.

This is just another case of the government overstepping their bounds under the guise of fighting terrorism.[/quote]

so is the issue that homeland security shut them down and not some other agency? If they are selling illegal and counterfeit/bootleg items, it’s hard to be very sympathetic to the site owners

The Homeland Security thing is only part of it. The big issue is that they are doing it OUTSIDE of the normal judicial process. They don’t require a court order to shut you down. Some individual somewhere simply decides that something you are doing might violate a copyright so he shuts you down and you basically have no recourse. There’s no burden of proof involved. The US government was built on a system of checks and balances and this goes far beyond that. There’s simply no check on the power the government has in shutting down these websites. That’s WRONG.

So what happens if some of these domain names are owned by companies/entities outside of our borders. I know of a guy who purchases NFL and NHL for his own personal use but they are very good knockoffs from a website and they are chinese.

More info is starting to leak out about the seizures.

Apparently, contrary to initial reports, they are obtaining seizure warrants so my comment about not following due process wasn’t quite accurate (I do happen to believe that the law under which they are getting the warrants oversteps its authority however).

It’s being done through ICANN so the sites are blocked outside of the US too.

This is what you see if you go to any of the sites:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:7, topic:1554”]Most of you guys are missing the issue.

This is just another case of the government overstepping their bounds under the guise of fighting terrorism. [/quote]

Lar, surprised you didn’t comment on the one 3rd from the bottom. You miss it, or just ignore it?

[quote="UncleLar, post:7, topic:1554"]Most of you guys are missing the issue.

This is just another case of the government overstepping their bounds under the guise of fighting terrorism.[/quote]

Lar, surprised you didn’t comment on the one 3rd from the bottom. You miss it, or just ignore it?

I didn’t miss it. I just didn’t see any reason for commenting. What were you expecting from me? Feigned righteous indignation? A ROTFLMAO? Not sure what you were expecting but what you got was exactly what I felt. I didn’t think it was profound, nor did I think it was funny. Basically, I had no reaction; so, no comment.

On the other hand, I do think the actual issue is real; hence, my comments on the real part of the post.

The other issue that is out there and nobody is talking about yet is with the new gov’t regulations for increased fuel efficiency the gov’t will be now getting less money in fuel taxes. One of the ways I heard they are going to try to make up for the deficiency is taxing you on the amount of miles you drive. The only way to get an accurate reading is to place a chip in the car that the gov’t can read. Don’t think that they won’t use it as some sort of tracking mechanism.

No need. They’ve already got most people with EZ pass in their cars. If you think the RFID readers for the EZ pass are only installed to do their scanning at toll booths, you’re kidding yourself.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:15, topic:1554"]The other issue that is out there and nobody is talking about yet is with the new gov't regulations for increased fuel efficiency the gov't will be now getting less money in fuel taxes. One of the ways I heard they are going to try to make up for the deficiency is taxing you on the amount of miles you drive. The only way to get an accurate reading is to place a chip in the car that the gov't can read. Don't think that they won't use it as some sort of tracking mechanism.[/quote]

No need. They’ve already got most people with EZ pass in their cars. If you think the RFID readers for the EZ pass are only installed to do their scanning at toll booths, you’re kidding yourself.

And if you think they need the EZ Pass to know where your car has been, you’re kidding yourself. Go onto the Turnpike without paying or an EZ Pass. See how long it takes them to get you a bill.

I always wondered how my original car dealer knew exactly how many miles I had gone and when I was due for my next servicing. I never went there for regular servicing, and my mileage was extremely high (90 miles of commuting daily). Always felt there was some sort of monitoring device in my car that was sending out some info. They were spot on for like the first 4 years of car ownership even though I hadn’t been there for servicing the whole time.

No, sometimes they put small cameras in the overhead light which can see your odometer. Hope in those 4 years you weren’t ever intimate with anybody in the front seat. They sell those videos (and audio) to xxx sites. :stuck_out_tongue:

It could also be reported when you get your car inspected. No one will be borrowing my car anymore. Or they could just charge $6 per gallon. The odd thing to me about the government regs on increased fuel economy is the increase in ethanol to 15%. Gasoline with ethanol is LESS efficient than 100% gasoline. So the government seems to be handicapping the auto industry.