OT: Good news for fans of Philly sports teams

and satellite dish aficionados.

The FCC is finally closing the loophole that allowed Comcast to keep the local sports teams from being distributed by DirecTV and Dish.

Satellite owners will at last be able to get Flyers, Phillies, and Sixer games (although it may be a few months and lawsuits away). It’s also probably going to cost Comcast a fair number of subscribers.

“My day has come!”

This will kill them in the Philly market they’ve dominated because of this exclusion. Watch them start moving more games to the Comcast Channel, the old CN8, to try to keep their monopoly on Philly sports.

I have Comcast in Bellefonte and my Flyers games are blackout becasue of the Pens. Will people still have that problem?

Closing this loophole won’t change the blackout rules. If you don’t get the Flyers today, you’ll continue to not get them in the future (unless blackout rules are changed).

I think it is stupid that you can’t choose your “home” team. If you have DirecTV, and all the sports channels, why can’t you choose which region you want to call “home”? And have all the others blacked out? Seems stupid. I mean, I understand why they do it – the local team wants to trick you into becoming a fan. But it doesn’t really work that way. Oh, and they want to sell more Sunday Tickets, Center Ices, etc. I think in the long run they’d be further ahead getting more money for being in more houses as the “home” team. Could probably charge a premium for that option.

Closing this loophole won't change the blackout rules. If you don't get the Flyers today, you'll continue to not get them in the future (unless blackout rules are changed).

I think it is stupid that you can’t choose your “home” team. If you have DirecTV, and all the sports channels, why can’t you choose which region you want to call “home”? And have all the others blacked out? Seems stupid. I mean, I understand why they do it – the local team wants to trick you into becoming a fan. But it doesn’t really work that way. Oh, and they want to sell more Sunday Tickets, Center Ices, etc. I think in the long run they’d be further ahead getting more money for being in more houses as the “home” team. Could probably charge a premium for that option.

Then how would they sell all those “league pass” subscriptions? As a Cheifs and Royals fan, I’d love to be able to tell Direct TV that I want my local market to be KC, but unless I’ve got a connection to someone in the area to set me up a PO box, I’m out of luck.

What I’m wondering is what’s going to happen to the DirectTV customers in the Harrisburg Area. The dishes consider us the “DC/Balt” market because of the comcast philly deal, but now are they going to switch us all over to the philly comcast sports channel? Maybe they’ll give us a choice??? I kind of like having access to both Nationals and Orioles games as “local teams” as opposed to just the Phillies. I like being able to see the AL once in a while when it’s not a game with either the Yankees or Red Sox. Plus as a Hershey Bears fan, I’d rather see the Caps than the Flyers (not to mention the caps have been the better team to watch lately)

That’s a good question for DircTV. The Harrisburg/West Shore zip codes are listed as markets (for baseball) for Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and Pittsburgh so they would be allowed to provide all those stations. It would seem in this case allowing the customer to select their home market would be a good option but that probably won’t happen. They’ll assign zip codes to one market and you’ll need to buy the Regional Sports package to get the other channels.