PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Good cheesesteaks in Philly

Hello all,
I’m going to Philly on business in about a week, and am looking for a good cheesesteak. I’m going to be staying in center city. Some recommendations I’ve received so far from my Philly contacts:

Jim’s on south street
Carmen’s - Reading Terminal market
Rick’s - Broad st. (close to where I’m staying)
DiNic’s - for the pork sandwich (not a cheesesteak I know, but it sounds good)

Any other suggestions? How about beyond center city?

[quote=“WestCoastBlues, post:1, topic:1598”]Hello all,
I’m going to Philly on business in about a week, and am looking for a good cheesesteak. I’m going to be staying in center city. Some recommendations I’ve received so far from my Philly contacts:

Jim’s on south street

Any other suggestions? How about beyond center city?[/quote]

Pat’s is supposed to be the original. Geno’s is across the street. Can’t go wrong with either. Both are good. But, if you don’t have to have the original, other places are better. I just don’t remember any of the names.

Best one I ever had in Philly was here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52156-d463010-Reviews-Mama_s_Pizzeria-Bala_Cynwyd_Pennsylvania.html

Now, I think I was in a coma for a week after eating it, but that’s beside the point :slight_smile:

[quote="WestCoastBlues, post:1, topic:1598"][/quote]

Pat’s is supposed to be the original. Geno’s is across the street. Can’t go wrong with either. Both are good. But, if you don’t have to have the original, other places are better. I just don’t remember any of the names.

Tourist traps, you can get a better cheesesteak in San Francisco I’m sure. Gotta go where the locals go.

Tony Luke’s also has a killer Roast Pork. His steaks are very good, but his roast pork with smoked provolone & broccoli rabe is killer.

[quote=“Tom, post:3, topic:1598”]Best one I ever had in Philly was here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52156-d463010-Reviews-Mama_s_Pizzeria-Bala_Cynwyd_Pennsylvania.html

Now, I think I was in a coma for a week after eating it, but that’s beside the point :)[/quote]

I’ve been there twice. That thing is HUGE. But very good. Probably 10,000 calories.

[quote=“WestCoastBlues, post:1, topic:1598”]Hello all,

Jim’s on south street

Any other suggestions? How about beyond center city?[/quote]

Jim’s is alright, small, but they cut up their steak which is a must for me. However, you will smell like you worked a shift there after you leave.

Only go to Pat’s if you want to stand on the spot where Rocky ordered a steak in the first movie. Pat’s is not the King of Steaks. They’ve been usurped and beheaded.

Geno’s (located catty-corner from Pat’s) has so much neon that I would never order food there, maybe beer or whores with that much neon, never steaks.

Steve’s Prince of Steaks on Bustleton in North Philly is okay, but they don’t cut up their steak so I go elsewhere. Tough to find if you’re visiting and staying in Center City.

I’d go with either Tony Luke’s mentioned elsewhere in this thread on Oregon Ave. right under 95 or my new favorite–

John’s Roast Pork on Snyder about a block closer to center city than Tony Luke’s, but they only serve steak until 2:30 pm so it’s lunch or nothing there. The cheesesteaks are a more packed with meat than Tony Luke’s. Can’t compare the roast pork to Tony Luke’s 'cause I’ve never had it at Tony’s, but John’s is really good. Get a cheesesteak and a roast pork. Eat half of each then wrap the rest up for later.

Sooooo… if you’re eating before 2:00 pm, go to John’s Roast Pork, after that go to Tony Luke’s.

[quote="WestCoastBlues, post:1, topic:1598"][/quote]

Tourist traps, you can get a better cheesesteak in San Francisco I’m sure. Gotta go where the locals go.

Like I said, other places are better. But neither is as bad as a lot of locals have “decided” they are. Make up your mind if you want good (listen to the locals), or if you want mediocre, but can say you had an “original” (Pat’s).

I think Jim’s is the way to go. But you can’t go wrong with any of them.

I’ve hosted a lot of friends over the years, and I usually take them to Ishkabibble’s on South Street (that’s not a typo, btw). It’s a hole in the wall type of place, crazy small inside, but everyone I’ve taken there has loved it.

I’ve walked by that place and heard of it, but never walked in. Near the TLA, right?

I've hosted a lot of friends over the years, and I usually take them to Ishkabibble's on South Street (that's not a typo, btw). It's a hole in the wall type of place, crazy small inside, but everyone I've taken there has loved it.

I’ve walked by that place and heard of it, but never walked in. Near the TLA, right?

Yup. But it is kind of an inconvenient spot to hit up sometimes. A lot of people see the line at the outside counter and just keep walking. And they’ve only got three or four seats inside, so there’s not much room to sit if you’ve been walking all day and wanna rest your legs. So really, it’s kind of a hit or miss with the waiting time. But if you don’t have to stand around for half an hour, it’s totally worth it. Jim’s and Chubby’s were my favorites until I came across this place…

Jim’s was my choice when I lived downtown but that was 30 years ago so who knows what they are like now.

Thanks everyone for the ideas – I’ve been to Pat’s about 15 years ago, but was not all that impressed. I think you can get a similar cheesesteak in SF. I think what they lack out on the left coast is the bread. It doesn’t seem authentic.

Another vote for Jim’s. My only gripe about Jim’s is the portions are defintiely the smallest I’ve had in Philly. But it’s a great steak. Might try Ishkabibble next time I’m visiting my brother. If you’re up for a ride, keep Dalessandro’s in mind. Their steak is frakkin’ huge (and pretty close to Jim’s, but I’d have to keep Jim’s on top). Tony Luke’s is the place to go for a pork sandwhich. Totally agree with tree their smoked provolone & broccoli rabe is great, and I mean great. Didn’t try their steaks there yet, but I hear they’re good as well. The other place to hit up is Chickie’s and Pete’s for their crab fries. Definitely a must have when you’re in Philly. The other thing I normally get when I’m there is a breakfast sandwhich from one of the streat carts. Amazing how good they are for the money (really cheap).