PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Golden moving on up

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5912786

Nice to see the PSU alum moving up to a high profile job after the job he’s done with Temple.

I was hoping we could have him take over the football team when ever JoPa decided to finish. His opportunity came and he’s taking it, good luck Golden

Well we get to see what he can do in a big boy conference with really good players. If he succeeds there we can always steal him from Miami. Who wants sun, sand and Bikinis when you can have 4 seasons. :wink:

Great news for Al, sure hope he does well at Miami.

This is a great opportunity for Golden, one of the top 20 jobs in college football probably. Hopefully he does not try to raid the PSU staff for assistants (actually at this point, I don’t think I’d really care if he did that, or blame some of them for leaving)

Personally I’m happy that Golden took the Miami job so we won’t hire him now. It is impressive the turnaround he’s made at Temple don’t get me wrong. But, I believe the stat is he’s never won the MAC, the division title in the MAC, or beat a team who won their division that year in the MAC. Certainly not a bunch of world beaters in that conference, so that’s not a promising sign.

Good news, 2 Million per… ;D…Bad news is moving your family to Miami… ???..

Every wonder why PSU coaches (many) sports want to stay in State College for so long?!?!?! :wink:

Considering where Temple WAS, I’d say he ws doing a great job. However, you bring a valid point that Building temple and maintaing PSU are two completely opposite tasks. Miami’s not in BAD shape, they just need a little more to get them back up there. I think the Maimi job is going to be much more what it wil lbe like following Paterno than turning around Temple. This could be his proving ground for coming to HV.

I do think that when Joe goes, the best thing (although it won’t happen) is for someone older to take the job for maybe 4-5 years first. It would be good to have a cushion between Joe and the next 40-year coach. Golden could go to Miami, do well, and be the 2nd guy to replace Joe. That would actually be best (and Al’s young enough to pull that off)

[quote="I Believe, post:6, topic:1637"]Personally I'm happy that Golden took the Miami job so we won't hire him now. It is impressive the turnaround he's made at Temple don't get me wrong. But, I believe the stat is he's never won the MAC, the division title in the MAC, or beat a team who won their division that year in the MAC. Certainly not a bunch of world beaters in that conference, so that's not a promising sign.[/quote]

Considering where Temple WAS, I’d say he ws doing a great job. However, you bring a valid point that Building temple and maintaing PSU are two completely opposite tasks. Miami’s not in BAD shape, they just need a little more to get them back up there. I think the Maimi job is going to be much more what it wil lbe like following Paterno than turning around Temple. This could be his proving ground for coming to HV.

I do think that when Joe goes, the best thing (although it won’t happen) is for someone older to take the job for maybe 4-5 years first. It would be good to have a cushion between Joe and the next 40-year coach. Golden could go to Miami, do well, and be the 2nd guy to replace Joe. That would actually be best (and Al’s young enough to pull that off)

I completely agree with you here. As much as I want a clean slate with a whole new coaching regime, I feel like giving Bradley the job is the safe choice in the immediate future. If he wins, great. If he doesn’t, after 4-5 years we look for that top notch guy no matter where he is or what age he is that will take us to the next level.

Belive me I like Al Golden and are by no means putting him down. I just have my doubts. I hope he does great at Miami and feel like he certainly can. Miami is a place where he should be able to do a great job, and maybe just maybe, groom himself for his dream job here at psu.

[quote=“I Believe, post:9, topic:1637”]I completely agree with you here. As much as I want a clean slate with a whole new coaching regime, I feel like giving Bradley the job is the safe choice in the immediate future. If he wins, great. If he doesn’t, after 4-5 years we look for that top notch guy no matter where he is or what age he is that will take us to the next level.

Belive me I like Al Golden and are by no means putting him down. I just have my doubts. I hope he does great at Miami and feel like he certainly can. Miami is a place where he should be able to do a great job, and maybe just maybe, groom himself for his dream job here at psu.[/quote]
One doesn’t groom themselves at Miami for another job. If Al Golden is successful at Miami he will stay at Miami.

[quote="I Believe, post:9, topic:1637"]I completely agree with you here. As much as I want a clean slate with a whole new coaching regime, I feel like giving Bradley the job is the safe choice in the immediate future. If he wins, great. If he doesn't, after 4-5 years we look for that top notch guy no matter where he is or what age he is that will take us to the next level.

Belive me I like Al Golden and are by no means putting him down. I just have my doubts. I hope he does great at Miami and feel like he certainly can. Miami is a place where he should be able to do a great job, and maybe just maybe, groom himself for his dream job here at psu.[/quote]
One doesn’t groom themselves at Miami for another job. If Al Golden is successful at Miami he will stay at Miami.

Yeah people said the same thing about Kansas basketball. And didn’t Roy Williams leave Kansas for Carolina because that was where he wanted to go.

I don’t think some people realize the effect of a wife and children. Miami is a great career move. BUT, once you have become RICH in about 4-5 years MAYBE some people may want to live in a more desirable location.

How exactly is Miami so much worse than State College again?

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:1637"]I don't think some people realize the effect of a wife and children. Miami is a great career move. BUT, once you have become RICH in about 4-5 years MAYBE some people may want to live in a more desirable location.[/quote]

How exactly is Miami so much worse than State College again?

If ya need to ask…you would not understand the answer.

Tate Forcier transferring to Miami

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6105876