Specifically:

• Shandygaff
  • Gingerbread Man
  • 797 Sports Bar and Lounge
  • Lion’s Den
  • Mezzanine
  • Ramada Inn
  • Phyrst

I can understand the objection to a couple of these but when you want to take the Ramada’s license away for FOUR violations in 15 years, I’m thinking that’s going a little too far.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1942”][size=12pt]State Objects to Seven State College Bar Renewals[/size]

Specifically:

• Shandygaff
  • Gingerbread Man
  • 797 Sports Bar and Lounge
  • Lion’s Den
  • Mezzanine, 420 E. College Ave
  • Ramada Inn
  • Phyrst

I can understand the objection to a couple of these but when you want to take the Ramada’s license away for FOUR violations in 15 years, I’m thinking that’s going a little too far.[/quote]
Is this happening in other towns or is State College getting special treatment?

Is there a new head of the Liquor Control Board or is this a Rendell holdover?

Maybe a Pitt grad? :-\

If I was a conspiracy theories it would seem someone is trying to push some of the “competition” out of town. I don’t know the owners of all these establishments but are any of these Dante’s Inc. run bars?

I don’t believe any are. I also don’t think that Dante’s carries the weight they used to.

[quote="tjb, post:3, topic:1942"][b]Is there a new head of the Liquor Control Board[/b] or is this a Rendell holdover?[/quote]

Maybe a Pitt grad? :-</blockquote>

Rendell hire, Penn State grad, son of former Board of Trustees President, and a former Tavern employee. :-[

No. None of them are.

Most of this, if I recall correctly, is fallout from last State Patty’s Day. Pretty much every bar that decided to open early for that event last year got put on a “crap” list by the LCB and will be put through the ringer as a result.

See the messed up thing with the PLCB is that they can cite you for just about anything if they really want, and there’s nothing you can really do about it. Say they decide you are serving intoxicated patrons some night… which, is every single night in every single bar in America but whatever - it’s a law, technically… Well, even if you have the proof necessary to defend yourself against these charges, it’s going to cost you more to fight it in court than it would to just take the fine and close up for a day. And there are no repercussions for anybody in the LCB if they get these charges wrong, so they have absolutely nothing to lose by deciding to cite an establishment, and good luck beating them in court anyhow… it’s like fighting a speeding ticket, they are a department of the state police force (although nobody in the state or local police force that I’ve ever met has an ounce of respect for these power-hungry toolbags that run around doing this “job”) and it’s your word against theirs more often than not.

So essentially all these liquor licensees, specifically in State College which is one of their prime targets (we have a drinking problem here after all…::slight_smile: , are just trying to stay as far under the radar as possible. Once they decide they want to get you, they’ll get you. There’s literally nothing you can do to avoid it… they’ll cite you for a noise violation. What the Liquor Control Board has to do with local noise ordinances, I have no idea… but they are able to just stand outside of your place and write you up for having too much noise come out of the place.

If you ever want a good laugh, read through the PLCB handbook sometime and take a look at everything they attempt to regulate in this state for all businesses that sell liquor. And then measure the amount of times a state store ever has operations issues compared to privately owned liquor licenses… apparently no minor has ever purchased hard liquor in this state, but they are constantly purchasing beer. STRANGE…

In dealing with these jerks myself, I have come to despise them. I think they are some of the scummiest, sleaziest individuals I have ever come across in a position of “power”. Ask anybody who has had to deal with them and I’m sure you’ll get the same kind of responses.

I have no problem with the state having an LCB agency… but the power given to these enforcement agents, and the complete lack of checks and balances on that agency in general is a freaking joke.

Sounds like they just want to squash State Pattty’s day and if these establishment stop being opening early for it, the pressure will be off?

I doubt it. While I’m sure that they view State Patty’s Day as part of the problem, there’s no doubt that there is a broader agenda involved. You can be sure that the Ramada Inn had nothing scheduled for State Patty’s Day.

It’s not the entire problem, but they do hate it. Don’t be surprised to see a lot more places close up this year for it. Fine by me really, I hate the freaking thing too but it is a money-making opportunity that’s being taken away from these businesses and I’m not okay with that.

If they really want to fix State Patty’s Day and all these other drinking weekends, they need a better plan than to just be reactionary about it. Arrests and penalties after the fact aren’t helping anything.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:10, topic:1942"]Sounds like they just want to squash State Pattty's day and if these establishment stop being opening early for it, the pressure will be off?[/quote]

It’s not the entire problem, but they do hate it. Don’t be surprised to see a lot more places close up this year for it. Fine by me really, I hate the freaking thing too but it is a money-making opportunity that’s being taken away from these businesses and I’m not okay with that.

If they really want to fix State Patty’s Day and all these other drinking weekends, they need a better plan than to just be reactionary about it. Arrests and penalties after the fact aren’t helping anything.

They are being proactive this year. The borough plans on having over 100 volunteers downtown acting as ambassadors. They are also encourage local residence to actually go downtown rather than avoid the whole scene in an attempt to maintain a sense of normalcy.

I’m really saddened by this news. What bar will Tim Doyle have Talor Battle shoot from if they take the G-Man away? ;D

Maybe they will go to a BYOB place and keep the restaurant portion open.

Legends.

I'm really saddened by this news. What bar will Tim Doyle have Talor Battle shoot from if they take the G-Man away? ;D

Legends.

The Omar Bar

What’s next, the Hotel Do De?

One more crack about a bar from my hometown and I’m going to get upset. :wink:

That being said, anybody want to meet up at Stover’s Tea Room in Milesburg for a little pregaming Thursday? :smiley: