PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Forum Growth?

I am clearly bored.

If you look under the “Information Center” from this link: http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php , it says the following:

31762 Posts in 1413 Topics by 219 Members.[b] Latest Member: Kbuck [/b]

“Kbuck” registered on January 27th 2010 according to this link: http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0;desc

So what I’ve deduced is that there was a steady increase of new members to the forum since its make over / hack / whatever you want to call it awhile ago. But this increase abruptly stops with “kbuck”. I mean, its not like there have been a sporadic 5 members since January, or even 1 member. NONE in 10 months.

Even with such a depressing season last year, surely some new members would register to at least express their anger towards the team, right? Nope, not one. This site is the #1 site to pop up if you Google “Penn State Hoops” or “PSU Hoops” second if you even search “Penn hoops”…

So I just find it quite odd that no one has registered since. And yes, I did log out and attempt to register and it did not seem disabled.

Whatever, just something to ponder about, or completely ignore. ;D ;D

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1430”]I am clearly bored.

If you look under the “Information Center” from this link: http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php , it says the following:

“Kbuck” registered on January 27th 2010 according to this link: http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0;desc

So what I’ve deduced is that there was a steady increase of new members to the forum since its make over / hack / whatever you want to call it awhile ago. But this increase abruptly stops with “kbuck”. I mean, its not like there have been a sporadic 5 members since January, or even 1 member. NONE in 10 months.

Even with such a depressing season last year, surely some new members would register to at least express their anger towards the team, right? Nope, not one. This site is the #1 site to pop up if you Google “Penn State Hoops” or “PSU Hoops” second if you even search “Penn hoops”…

So I just find it quite odd that no one has registered since. And yes, I did log out and attempt to register and it did not seem disabled.

Whatever, just something to ponder about, or completely ignore. ;D ;D[/quote]

New registrations have to be approved by Tim. Needless to say, he’s been preoccupied the last few months which is the reason he hasn’t approved anyone.

Well that explains it. You’re telling me he couldn’t do that on his iPad? Kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am clearly bored.

31762 Posts in 1413 Topics by 219 Members.[b] Latest Member: Kbuck [/b]

Whatever, just something to ponder about, or completely ignore. ;D ;D

New registrations have to be approved by Tim. Needless to say, he’s been preoccupied the last few months which is the reason he hasn’t approved anyone.

Does that mean there’s a long waiting list to post from pending registrations? I envision 47 people chomping at the bit dying to say something. :wink: Frustrating for them. I guess that’s what they mean by “Before the Flood.”

might get interesting once the season starts when no new people can post anything.

I have a friend who posted on the prior forum, but delayed renewing on this new site when it went up. He has made several attempts during the year, but has not been approved. He is aware of Tim’s health and is just being patient until he is approved. Hard to say how many others there are.

Did Tim set the registration method to approval because of the hacking incident, or has it always been like that? I can’t remember.

I know that differing opinions make the world go round so I’m not opposed to adding more people to the board but right now things are fairly civil and more than anything that’s what I don’t want to see changed with the addition of new people (perhaps everyone is being fairly civil b/c the season hasn’t started and emotions are running high yet…time will tell).

A PSU fan actually emailed me after this thread was created saying how he has been chompin’ at the bit to post on this forum. I’m sure there are a dozen or more people just like him.

Obviously Tim’s health comes first, but it would be fitting for the eFloodgates to be opened before the game against Lehigh.

Lar,
As “VP in charge of backup operations”, I’m surprised that Tim didn’t give you that authorization. :wink:

[quote=“MarkH, post:10, topic:1430”]Lar,
As “VP in charge of backup operations”, I’m surprised that Tim didn’t give you that authorization. ;)[/quote]

I thought Lar’s Official Title was “Vice President of Insider Status.” :wink:

[quote="UncleLar, post:2, topic:1430"]New registrations have to be approved by Tim. Needless to say, he's been preoccupied the last few months which is the reason he hasn't approved anyone.[/quote] Lar, As "VP in charge of backup operations", I'm surprised that Tim didn't give you that authorization. ;)

Actually, when Tim first went into the hospital, I was contacted by friends and family of his asking for help in keeping the site functioning. We were able to figure out how to give me administrator capability for the website but not the forum. So I can get in and do things some things on the front end home page (such as putting up news stories or changing the front end appearance - stuff that for the most part is pretty much non critical). Unfortunately, approving users is a function of the forum not the website, so I can’t help out there.

[quote="noobd, post:1, topic:1430"]I am clearly bored.

Whatever, just something to ponder about, or completely ignore. ;D ;D[/quote]

Does that mean there’s a long waiting list to post from pending registrations? I envision 47 people chomping at the bit dying to say something. :wink: Frustrating for them. I guess that’s what they mean by “Before the Flood.”

I was one of the 47.

Ditto this. I know someone who posted previously but didn’t re-register after the hacking. He’s aware of Tim’s medical issue and will be posting again when possible. Please don’t take this as a “push” for Tim to get to work on this. Just statement of fact.

Tim posted in another thread that he deleted all registration requests since so many were spam, and invited those folks with legit registration requests to re-register

Hey everyone, I was looking for a Penn State Hoops forum and I finally found one in July. I wanted a long time and it looks like I’m finally in. I’ve checked this forum basically everyday since I stumbled upon it. I’ve been a Penn State Hoops fan since I was accepted to Penn State in 2006. I am a basketball junky, I love the college game and NBA. I recently graduated so now I’m back in California. (I’ll really miss going to the games) I have fund this site extremely helpful since there weren’t many ways to find good info on our hoops program. I’m excited for this upcoming season and I hope we have success.

I’m also a Los Angeles Clippers fan so it’s nice for one of my teams to win once in awhile.

Welcome aboard!

You came to PSU from Cali? Was one or both of your parents an alum? If not you are a sick person. :wink:

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:17, topic:1430”]Welcome aboard!

You came to PSU from Cali? Was one or both of your parents an alum? If not you are a sick person. ;)[/quote]

I guess that’s an interesting way to put it. I’m not originally from Cali, the majority of my family is in the NY/NJ area. You can call me crazy but I don’t like Cali that much and I prefer New York and Pennsylvania much more.

I am happy to finally be a part of the forum, I wish I would have found this site sooner.

I know what you mean. I love where I live except for winter.

Where are you at in Cali?

Again welcome aboard. It will be nice to have some more young blood in here with all us old farts.

[quote=“lynkpsu, post:16, topic:1430”]Hey everyone, I was looking for a Penn State Hoops forum and I finally found one in July. I wanted a long time and it looks like I’m finally in. I’ve checked this forum basically everyday since I stumbled upon it. I’ve been a Penn State Hoops fan since I was accepted to Penn State in 2006. I am a basketball junky, I love the college game and NBA. I recently graduated so now I’m back in California. (I’ll really miss going to the games) I have fund this site extremely helpful since there weren’t many ways to find good info on our hoops program. I’m excited for this upcoming season and I hope we have success.

I’m also a Los Angeles Clippers fan so it’s nice for one of my teams to win once in awhile.[/quote]

A Clippers fan. Boy you are a glutton for punishment. Welcome to the Jungle.