PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Former Georgia Tech football player tells NCAA like it is

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

Glad somebody is calling these people out. I’m not saying that cheating should go unpunished and neither is this guy, but let’s go after the right people and maybe reconsider how we’re doing this entire thing. It obviously isn’t working currently.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2558”]http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

Glad somebody is calling these people out. I’m not saying that cheating should go unpunished and neither is this guy, but let’s go after the right people and maybe reconsider how we’re doing this entire thing. It obviously isn’t working currently.[/quote]

As I responded in another forum, his anger is misplaced. He should be more upset at his fellow player who accepted gifts from a runner, the coaches who didn’t bench the player when the infraction came to light, and the administrators who impeded the NCAA investigation. The NCAA isn’t the wrongdoer here, Georgia Tech is.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2558"][url=http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral]http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral[/url]

Glad somebody is calling these people out. I’m not saying that cheating should go unpunished and neither is this guy, but let’s go after the right people and maybe reconsider how we’re doing this entire thing. It obviously isn’t working currently.[/quote]

As I responded in another forum, his anger is misplaced. He should be more upset at his fellow player who accepted gifts from a runner, the coaches who didn’t bench the player when the infraction came to light, and the administrators who impeded the NCAA investigation. The NCAA isn’t the wrongdoer here, Georgia Tech is.

+1.

As I responded in another forum, his anger is misplaced. He should be more upset at his fellow player who accepted gifts from a runner, the coaches who didn't bench the player when the infraction came to light, and the administrators who impeded the NCAA investigation. The NCAA isn't the wrongdoer here, Georgia Tech is.

I’m sure he’s plenty mad at those parties as well, but that doesn’t make him incorrect in the things he is saying. The NCAA could punish all those parties without punishing he and his teammates that played by the rules.

It’s the same thing happening at a lot of schools, the guilty parties are walking away untouched and the schools and players are left to pay for their mistakes. How is that justice?

I’m sure he’s plenty mad at those parties as well, but that doesn’t make him incorrect in the things he is saying. The NCAA could punish all those parties without punishing he and his teammates that played by the rules.

It’s the same thing happening at a lot of schools, the guilty parties are walking away untouched and the schools and players are left to pay for their mistakes. How is that justice?[/quote]

Why can’t something be done to discourage this crap? Why can’t the players be held financially responsible for their scholarships if they break the rules? To me, they are breaking a contract by breaking the rules. If they think it’s unfair, then don’t play. Go to Europe or play semi-pro football. And coaches should be suspended for a few years if they get caught. The way it looks, the NCAA doesn’t care. They only care about the money. And laying down the law might hurt the cash flow.

Does that mean the palyers have to give back their rings?

After all, if they were not ACC Champions, then they were not justified in recieving the gift from the school.

If they are allowed to keep the rings, then that’s like the NCAA acknowledging the championship, which goes against the penatly that they just laid down. :-\

EVERYTHING the NCAA does is a :o or a :stuck_out_tongue: or a :-* (get the message.)

[quote=“Skeeza, post:6, topic:2558”]Does that mean the palyers have to give back their rings?

After all, if they were not ACC Champions, then they were not justified in recieving the gift from the school.

If they are allowed to keep the rings, then that’s like the NCAA acknowledging the championship, which goes against the penatly that they just laid down. :-[/quote]

Not much different than suspending players for the first two games (or was it five?) of the next season and letting them play the bowl game. You see how much that impacted Pryor, who isn’t even going to serve his suspension now. But all the other guys who did nothing wrong are now being told they didn’t win the Sugar Bowl or beat Michigan.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2558"][url=http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral]http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/georgia-tech-sanctions-cause-former-center-to-write-angry-letter-to-ncaa/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral[/url]

Lar,

As it pertains to the rules, his anger seems misplaced. But Sean is trying to look at the big picture here and the NCAA should certainly sit up and take notice…which they won’t.

The problem with society as a whole is that we as a people can do 99 things the right way, but screw up on just one of those 100 things and we’re doomed by criticisms and failure. That’s the American Way.

BTW…please add “Tech” to the title of this thread. It’s like calling our beloved school “Penn”. People down here don’t take kindly to those who screw up the whole UGA/GaTech thing.

The best thing that could happen to integrity in college sports is to make NCAA compliance part of the university’s periodic academic accreditation review. The accreditation teams usually investigate whether you’re following your own published rules and policies. For example, if the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools threatened to pull Ohio State’s accreditation, which implies loss of financial aid for tOSU students among other outcomes, you’d be amazed at how fast the athletic department would clean up its act. The tail (athletics) would instantly stop wagging the dog (academics).

Alas, I don’t think the various accreditation commissions have any interest in adding athletic department compliance to the accreditation review process.

One other thing on this item…

Paul Johnson runs a clean ship. He, nor their AD Dan Radakovich truthfully did not know of any violations. They steered themselves wrong when they didn’t follow procedure with the NCAA and the NCAA got pi$$ed. So when the NCAA confirmed that $312 of clothing was passed on to a Tech player (clothes that have never been worn and are still sitting in some closet at Tech), that all of a sudden became the NCAA’s reason to slap Tech hard with taking away their ACC title in '09.

Had their AD cooperated with authorities and done the correct things, this probably would have just flown under the rug without much fanfare. So in essence, the NCAA was making an example out of Georgia Tech and the way they handled being investigated by the NCAA.

And on that note…if that’s all that it took for Tech to lose a title, can you imagine what is in store for Ohio State. An 0-116 record from 2001 to 2010, including taking away their MNC in 2002. OK, the NCAA will never do that to one of their prized children, though that would be making an example and would further discourage schools from going down a similar path.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:2558”]One other thing on this item…

Paul Johnson runs a clean ship. He, nor their AD Dan Radakovich truthfully did not know of any violations. They steered themselves wrong when they didn’t follow procedure with the NCAA and the NCAA got pi$$ed. So when the NCAA confirmed that $312 of clothing was passed on to a Tech player (clothes that have never been worn and are still sitting in some closet at Tech), that all of a sudden became the NCAA’s reason to slap Tech hard with taking away their ACC title in '09.

Had their AD cooperated with authorities and done the correct things, this probably would have just flown under the rug without much fanfare. So in essence, the NCAA was making an example out of Georgia Tech and the way they handled being investigated by the NCAA.

And on that note…if that’s all that it took for Tech to lose a title, can you imagine what is in store for Ohio State. An 0-116 record from 2001 to 2010, including taking away their MNC in 2002. OK, the NCAA will never do that to one of their prized children, though that would be making an example and would further discourage schools from going down a similar path. [/quote]
Is the AD Dan Radakovich the son of former PSU and Steeler coach Dan “Bad Rad” akovich??

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:2558”]One other thing on this item…

And on that note…if that’s all that it took for Tech to lose a title, can you imagine what is in store for Ohio State. An 0-116 record from 2001 to 2010, including taking away their MNC in 2002. OK, the NCAA will never do that to one of their prized children, though that would be making an example and would further discourage schools from going down a similar path. [/quote]

Will it really matter? Like this GT player was saying, he and the fans still have those memories of all those games that actually took place. Stripping them after the fact is only going to hurt a little bit to the super sentimental among their fans, and really… does it hurt at all? Does it make the teams they beat feel better now? Do they have visions of winning to GT in games they actually lost? I doubt it.

This is like telling Bernie Madoff (or some other financial con) that his punishment is he never spent all that money and had all the nice things that money bought him. Mmkay, you can tell a person that but does it ever take away the fact that they did? Does it fix all the people who got screwed by him or the teams that lost to these teams that cheat?

These punishments are senseless in my opinion, and symptomatic of what’s really wrong in this whole picture. You have an outdated set of rules and consequences in place being carried out by a group of people incapable of correctly policing in the first place.

I don’t know what the fix is, by the way. But I think it’s time to start demanding more from the NCAA, they need to seriously overhaul their operations as far as I can tell.

One other thing on this item...

And on that note…if that’s all that it took for Tech to lose a title, can you imagine what is in store for Ohio State. An 0-116 record from 2001 to 2010, including taking away their MNC in 2002. OK, the NCAA will never do that to one of their prized children, though that would be making an example and would further discourage schools from going down a similar path.

Is the AD Dan Radakovich the son of former PSU and Steeler coach Dan “Mad Rad” akovich??

I know he is from Pittsburgh.

Sorry, it was “Bad Rad.” He was a type of cult hero in Pittsburgh during the Steelers rise to the top!