PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: For all you long time Pittsburgh Pirate fans

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/23/broadcast-of-1960-world-series-game-7-found-in-bing-crosbys-win/

Game 7 of the 1960 World Series will be shown on MLB Network @ 8 PM this Wed. 12/15.

MLB Network Special: Bob Costas joins other panel members Bill Mazeroski, Dick Groat and Bobby Richardson to discuss a recently unearthed copy of Game 7 of the 1960 World Series.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/schedule/?ymd=20101215

First meaningful game for a Pirates fan to watch since 1992!

“Record” is set!! I ran home from school that day. I got home with the Yankees batting in the top of the 9th!!
Thanks!!

I wish I had MLB network to watch it. That was some game.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1642”]“Record” is set!! I ran home from school that day. I got home with the Yankees batting in the top of the 9th!!
Thanks!![/quote]

You’re welcome and ditto! I was in the 1st grade! I got home just in time to see Maz hit that dramatic home run! I remember my dad picking me up and throwing me up in the air in celebration! Fortunately he also caught me! :smiley: What a great memory, probably my first ever memory of any sporting event! Instant classic! :slight_smile:

Funny how in 1960 a “Prime Time” game started probaly at approximately noon EST on a week day!!

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1642"]"Record" is set!! I ran home from school that day. I got home with the Yankees batting in the top of the 9th!! Thanks!![/quote]

You’re welcome and ditto! I was in the 1st grade! I got home just in time to see Maz hit that dramatic home run! I remember my dad picking me up and throwing me up in the air in celebration! Fortunately he also caught me! :smiley: What a great memory, probably my first ever memory of any sporting event! Instant classic! :slight_smile:

My rush home from school memory was just catching Dale Mitchell take a called third strike from Don Larson in his perfect game in '56.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1642"]"Record" is set!! I ran home from school that day. I got home with the Yankees batting in the top of the 9th!! Thanks!![/quote]

My rush home from school memory was just catching Dale Mitchell take a called third strike from Don Larson in his perfect game in '56.

Mine was catching the Bucky Dent home run in the Yankees/Sox one-game playoff. Very interesting quote from George Brett on MLB network with Costas the other week… Royals lost tough ALCSs to the Yanks the previous 2 years and were really hoping to play the Sox in '78, only to have Dent hit the HR… All the Royals were wathcing the game in the clubhouse and he said you could amost collectively feel “we don’t want to have to play THEM again” in the clubhouse. They were so demoralized by Dent’s HR they weren’t mentally ready for the ALCS the next day.

My rush home from school memories was to see legends like Jermaine Allensworth and Chad Hermansen just straight crushing the ball, and also flamethrowers like Jimmy Anderson and Kris Benson just bringing the heat…truly sad baseball for a younger pirates fan :-[

Ouch. Hang in there. Eventually, the Bucs will sniff the playoffs again.

I finished watching the game this morning. Great fun. Full of memories.
Wow, the playing field was as hard as a rock. Bob Prince called it "Alabaster Plaster."
Hey, Franco was in the audience for the broadcast. He is a big Pirate fan!

I watched the show last night and they did a fantastic job in front of a packed Pittsburgh crowd (with Franco Harris front and center in the audience). They’d show two innings then come back to Bob Costas interviewing their panel of Bobby Richardson, Bill Virdon, and Dick Groat interspersed with commentary from other Pirates in the audience. The game was still thrilling 50 years later. My favorite moment during the broadcast might have been late in the game when showed a picture in picture close-up of a live Bobby Richardson leaning over to Bill Virdon as they watched the game saying “this is still exciting to watch”. He was dead on.

Thank goodness they found the long lost video because it will help people appreciate what a great ball game it was.

A DVD of the game just went on sale and it would make a great Christmas present for any Pirate or baseball fan.

Richardson noticed that “nobody struck out” in the game.

Seeing Bobby Schantz pitch an excellent long relief outing for the Yankees brought back some old memories. Schantz owned a bowling alley in our neighborhood (PitCatcher Lanes - co-owned with Joe Astroth his battery mate with the Philadelphia A’s). He would occasionally play catch with us and would get a great kick out of tossing us curve balls that half the time we couldn’t even catch. He had an amazing arm considering he wasn’t any bigger (5’6", 135 lbs) than some of us.

There were several “tiny” pitchers in that game. Schantz, Roy Face and Harvey “the Kitten” Haddix.