OT: Football recruiting class getting high marks

For those that follow recruiting, it seems the football team has just added a LB from Conn., and is sitting in 2nd place nationwide.

According to the rankings, they are bringing in a powerhouse class next year.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:89”]For those that follow recruiting, it seems the football team has just added a LB from Conn., and is sitting in 2nd place nationwide.

According to the rankings, they are bringing in a powerhouse class next year.[/quote]

Not trying to offend but you must think we all live under a rock. :wink:

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:89"]For those that follow recruiting, it seems the football team has just added a LB from Conn., and is sitting in 2nd place nationwide.

According to the rankings, they are bringing in a powerhouse class next year.[/quote]

Well, I’m not under a rock but I did not know things were going this well, so thanks!

[quote="Skeeza, post:1, topic:89"]For those that follow recruiting, it seems the football team has just added a LB from Conn., and is sitting in 2nd place nationwide.

Well, I’m not under a rock but I did not know things were going this well, so thanks!

I didn’t realize we were up to #2. I’ve been following the trail and we have a few studs still considering dear old state - including the nations top running back. Would be cool to have the #1 class, but as long as we get quality kids, I’m happy.

I didn’t realize we were up to #2. I’ve been following the trail and we have a few studs still considering dear old state - including the nations top running back. Would be cool to have the #1 class, but as long as we get quality kids, I’m happy.

Having the #1 class would be all well and good but it’ll never top the reactions we were getting over on the Pitt boards when we were getting all the Western PA kids earlier. Priceless.

It would be nice to have the title of “#1 class” but in terms of the actual playersit honestly doesn’t matter…The 10th best class could easily outperform the 1st in four years…
Nothing most of you don’t already know, just thought I’d mention it though.

[quote=“Slash, post:6, topic:89”]It would be nice to have the title of “#1 class” but in terms of the actual playersit honestly doesn’t matter…The 10th best class could easily outperform the 1st in four years…
Nothing most of you don’t already know, just thought I’d mention it though.[/quote]

Quite possible, but which would you rather have? Besides, having the #1 class this year probably helps you more with next year’s class than if you are #10. Kids want to go to the winner.

Could you change the phrase to…“You play to win the game recruits”

[quote="Slash, post:6, topic:89"]It would be nice to have the title of "#1 class" but in terms of the actual playersit honestly doesn't matter..The 10th best class could easily outperform the 1st in four years.. Nothing most of you don't already know, just thought I'd mention it though.[/quote]

Quite possible, but which would you rather have? Besides, having the #1 class this year probably helps you more with next year’s class than if you are #10. Kids want to go to the winner.

That’s somewhat of a loaded question.

The problem with these “rankings” are that they really don’t translate into performance. It is a snapshot of those players AT THIS MOMENT, not when they are on the college field. They are also merely a physical measure,not mental. I have no doubt that Chris Bell is a great receiver, but how’s that working out?

Not loaded at all. Law of averages says better recruiting classes says better results on the field. Of course it doesn’t always work out. But USC, Texas, Florida, etc have top classes almost every year and look where they are ranked. There is most certainly a direct relationship.

Where o where is Ryan Leaf these days?..sometimes your guys just turn out to be duds, and sometimes your duds turn out to be stars…IE Jordan Norwood.

And where is Peyton Manning? And his brother? And John Elway? Troy Aikman? Terry Bradshaw? You are grabbing examples of Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Joe Montana and Tom Brady. Sure, the exceptions are there. No one denies that. But there is a reason the worst team gets to draft first the next year. And there is a reason the teams that usually get the best recruiting classes end up in the top 5 more often than those that don’t.

Living in the South (ATL) and coaching youth football, I am on the pulse of all that is troubling for schools north of the Mason Dixon Line ::slight_smile: OK, maybe not…but the college game and the talents associated with the game has really shifted to the South this decade. And it’s not just the talent that the South oozes, but the level of football that is being played at such a young age down here. It’s shockingly good. Football, and specifically youth football is a religion down here that unless you are immersed in it as I am, you don’t truly understand. I can go on for hours on end (which I’ve been known to do) talking about it. And once these kids get to the high school level (and maybe even the junior high level now) they go through spring practices as well. By the time they graduate high school, they are so far ahead of the curve vs the kids from other parts of the country, I feel.

I bring this up because I’ve seen the Big Ten struggle to keep up. You can talk all you want about PSU’s failures of playing for a national championship, but there is a much bigger issue involved and that is this shift of power/talent, call it what you want, to the SEC, Texas, USC and the warmer climes where football is now treated as almost a year-round sport, with practices and camps and the like.

I look at the dynamite 2010 recruiting class that PSU is currently putting together. There are only 3 players from south of the Mason Dixon line…one from MD, one from VA and Norwood’s kid from TX. That’s it. Will PSU be competitive in the Big Ten with a group like this, you bet your azz they will be. But will they be able to compete with the 5-star talent that floods teams like Florida, Alabama, Texas and USC…not quite.

Penn State has done its share of upholding northern/eastern football, but until they tap Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Texas on a regular basis, they and other Big Ten teams (Michigan/tOSU) will continue to play second fiddle to teams in the South.

I hope this group of kids and groups to follow prove me wrong, but it’s just a disturbing trend that I see for Penn State and the Big Ten.

Appreciate this update. Living in SW Michigan I only hear about Notre Dame, Michigan, MSU, and Illinois. Good to hear about the highly rated class. For those of us not living in or near Happy Valley, I rely on this board for my PSU basketball news and any other PSU sports news (volleyball, baseball, field hockey, football, etc.). I don’t live under a rock, rather live next to Lake Michigan…maybe the same thing???