PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Football Kickoff times

It is my understanding that all ESPN/ABC Big 10 Primetime kickoffs have been set and obviously, Penn State is not included. Does this mean that the latest kickoff time we can have this year is 3:30, or is there a way that we could still have one later?

From what I remember reading, PSU could still have a kickoff time as late as 6 PM.

[quote="Liebs1, post:1, topic:2393"]It is my understanding that all ESPN/ABC Big 10 Primetime kickoffs have been set and obviously, Penn State is not included. Does this mean that the latest kickoff time we can have this year is 3:30, or is there a way that we could still have one later?[/quote]

From what I remember reading, PSU could still have a kickoff time as late as 6 PM.

Correct. I’m hedging a bet that Alabama will be a 4:30pm kickoff directly preceeding Mchg*n/Notre Dame.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-football-no-primetime-tv-for-alabama-game-in-beaver-stadium-748263/

I prefer the 330 kickoffs personally. Best of both worlds.

Ditto!

I like the old (living in the past) 1:00 p.m. starts. Noon is my favorite of the new start times.

I don’t really care about the times. If the games are on TV I will watch :slight_smile:

To answer the original question, Disney has announced all the “night” kickoff times for Big Ten games they are carrying on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. All other Big Ten home games on one of those networks will be at 3:30pm or earlier.

However, the BTN has yet to announced their evening games and will do so tonight on the BTN (I think at 8pm). They have specifically said that they will be carrying more primetime games than ever before and that every Big Ten team will be featured in at least one primetime game on some channel. So, PSU will have at least one game kicking off after 3:30pm and it wouldn’t surprise me if it is a home game.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:2393"]I prefer the 330 kickoffs personally. Best of both worlds.[/quote]

Ditto!

Add me to this group. Plenty of time to tailgate but still get home at a decent hour.

My bet, after quickly scanning the schedules of out B10 opponents prior to November, is Iowa (a home game). We are each other’s biggest game that is eligible for a prime time slot.

Btw, tOSU is going to have at least 3 night games this season. @ Neb and Wisky are already 8 pm games, then add the BTN game. They will prob take @ Illinois for their prime time game. I was considering Illinois for our night game, but I think tOSU will have them. OSU already has a home night game and Illinois does not. Their other opton is home against MSU, but MSU will probably have Michigan for their night game.

So, my predictions for BTN night games:
PSU vs. Iowa
MSU vs. UM
tOSU @ Illinois
Wisky @ Indiana (this will give Wisky 4 straight night games, but it is the only available eligible game for the BTN)
Minne @ PU
The match-up left is NW @ Neb, which is Nov 5, so it would have to be a 4:30 kick (and, it is at the southernmost B10 school)

See how right/wrong I am

[quote="SideshowBob, post:9, topic:2393"]So, PSU will have at least one game kicking off after 3:30pm and it wouldn't surprise me if it is a home game.[/quote] My bet, after quickly scanning the schedules of out B10 opponents prior to November, is Iowa (a home game). We are each other's biggest game that is eligible for a prime time slot.

Btw, tOSU is going to have at least 3 night games this season. @ Neb and Wisky are already 8 pm games, then add the BTN game. They will prob take @ Illinois for their prime time game. I was considering Illinois for our night game, but I think tOSU will have them. OSU already has a home night game and Illinois does not. Their other opton is home against MSU, but MSU will probably have Michigan for their night game.

So, my predictions for BTN night games:
PSU vs. Iowa
MSU vs. UM
tOSU @ Illinois
Wisky @ Indiana (this will give Wisky 4 straight night games, but it is the only available eligible game for the BTN)
Minne @ PU
The match-up left is NW @ Neb, which is Nov 5, so it would have to be a 4:30 kick (and, it is at the southernmost B10 school)

See how right/wrong I am

I believe that the way the statement was worded, each Big Ten team needs to be at night at least once, not necessarily on BTN at night once. Perhaps I am reading it wrong? Thus, Nebraska would already be taken care of (as would MSU, UM, OSU, Wisky and Purdue).

Looks like PSU@NW is a 7pm ET kickoff on BTN

Penn State has a football team ???

Penn State Football: No Night Games in Beaver Stadium in 2011

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-football-no-night-games-in-beaver-stadium-in-2011-754992/

[quote=“CAPPY, post:15, topic:2393”]Penn State Football: No Night Games in Beaver Stadium in 2011

http://www.statecollege.com/news/columns/penn-state-football-no-night-games-in-beaver-stadium-in-2011-754992/[/quote]

Attendance will continue to drop like a lead balloon!! Only saving point (short term) is the possibility that this season will be Joe’s last!
I thinks someone STEPped on the golden goose :’(

Actually the golden goose for STEP is when Joe DOES step down.

I am not familar with the process of selecting night games. Does the AD or Marketing King Guido have a chance to “sell” the games? Every player wants to play on Saturday night in the national (regional) game of the night. PSU cannot even get the Alabama game as the feature game of the night. This is not good.

Gee, let me guess why, so you can go on another rant about the students not showing up in time to fill the student section for the noon kickoff? ;D

The chance of Bama being a night game was eliminated as soon as ABC picked up the first night game in Michigan history vs. ND.