PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Fanalysis - PSU Fans Outlook for 2011 Women's Volleyball Team

We’ve introduced a new segment to DigNittanyVolleyball – Fanalysis– in which Penn State fans give their opinions on questions we have about the Penn State Women’s Volleyball team. An important point: these aren’t people claiming to have any inside knowledge or claiming to be experts. They are fans, speaking to other fans. But whether you agree or disagree with their opinions, we think you’ll find them to be interesting.

For this inaugural segment of Fanalysis, we’ve asked RaymondLuxuryYacht and Talking Head to answer a few questions about the prospects for the 2011 Penn State Women’s Volleyball team. Here’s the link: http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/2011/08/16/fanalysis-2011-penn-state-women-volleyball-preseason-team-outlook/

Talking Head says that Nebraska will finish tied for 5th.

That’s quite a low finish for a team that has been a National Champion and power program.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:2602”]Talking Head says that Nebraska will finish tied for 5th.

That’s quite a low finish for a team that has been a National Champion and power program.[/quote]

Hey, what can you say about the Talking Heads? Actually, I think it speaks more to the strength of the Big Ten than to any weakness in Nebraska.

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:2602"]Talking Head says that Nebraska will finish tied for 5th.

That’s quite a low finish for a team that has been a National Champion and power program.[/quote]

Hey, what can you say about the Talking Heads? Actually, I think it speaks more to the strength of the Big Ten than to any weakness in Nebraska.

Nebraska was 7th in the nation in 2009, 6th in 2010. Last school to win a National Championship before Penn State’s 4 year run? You guessed it, Nebraska !!

BTW… During Penn State’s recvord breaking undefeated season of 2008, they only dropped 2 games the entire year oout of their 38 matches. Guess who those 2 games were against?

Understood, but it also was effectively on Nebraska’s home court, in front of 17,000 fans, almost all of whom were screaming for Nebraska. I think Russ Rose wasn’t so much concerned about the reaction of the team to the noise, as whether the building would hold up.

Yes, and that is the same home court that they will play half their league matches on this coming season.

All I’m saying is that they have a history of being a national power, and they have been very very good the past couple seasons.

Having them at a tie for 5th is either overestimating the power of the BIG TEN or underestimating the Nebraska Program itselg

Understood, but it also was effectively on Nebraska's home court, in front of 17,000 fans, almost all of whom were screaming for Nebraska. I think Russ Rose wasn't so much concerned about the reaction of the team to the noise, as whether the building would hold up.

Yes, and that is the same home court that they will play half their league matches on this coming season.

All I’m saying is that they have a history of being a national power, and they have been very very good the past couple seasons.

Having them at a tie for 5th is either overestimating the power of the BIG TEN or underestimating the Nebraska Program itselg

Actually, it’s not the same court. Nebraska plays their home matches in Lincoln at the NU Coliseum which seats about 4000. The NCAAs were in Omaha at the Qwest Center which seated over 17,000 for the NCAAs.

[quote="nyline, post:5, topic:2602"]Understood, but it also was effectively on Nebraska's home court, in front of 17,000 fans, almost all of whom were screaming for Nebraska. I think Russ Rose wasn't so much concerned about the reaction of the team to the noise, as whether the building would hold up.[/quote]

Actually, it’s not the same court. Nebraska plays their home matches in Lincoln at the NU Coliseum which seats about 4000. The NCAAs were in Omaha at the Qwest Center which seated over 17,000 for the NCAAs.

In any event, I agree that tied for fifth is too low for Nebraska. The Big Ten coaches just voted Nebraska in a tie with Illinois for second. Russ Rose voted them first. John Cook (Nebraska’s coach) didn’t vote, saying he didn’t know enough about the Big Ten yet.

2011 AVCA Showcase

Dorton ready to return to Nittany Lions’ court

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/08/25/2888824/dorton-ready-to-return-to-nittany.html

Here’s a link to video interviews with Russ Rose, Darcy Dorton, and Katie Slay from Penn State Women’s Volleyball Media Day: http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/2011/08/24/2011-penn-state-womens-volleyball-media-day-russ-rose-darcey-dorton-and-katie-slay/

[quote="nyline, post:5, topic:2602"]Understood, but it also was effectively on Nebraska's home court, in front of 17,000 fans, almost all of whom were screaming for Nebraska. I think Russ Rose wasn't so much concerned about the reaction of the team to the noise, as whether the building would hold up.[/quote]

In any event, I agree that tied for fifth is too low for Nebraska. The Big Ten coaches just voted Nebraska in a tie with Illinois for second. Russ Rose voted them first. John Cook (Nebraska’s coach) didn’t vote, saying he didn’t know enough about the Big Ten yet.

National Pre-season poll is out. Here’s the BIG TEN teams and their rankings…
TEAM Total poll points
1 Penn State 1486 (54 of 60 1st place votes)
5 Nebraska 1221
8 Illinois 1066
12 Minnesota 810
13 Purdue 739
21 Ohio State 256
T24 Michigan 170

Others receiving votes:
Indiana 41
Wisconsin 11
Michigan State 8
Northwestern 4

The BIG TEN looks very well represented.

• Top team in the counrty
  • 7 of the Top 25
  • 11 of 12 teams receiving votes (Iowa is lone no-show)

This sport looks like a 2-conference dominated affair, with the PAC 12. They have 4 of the Top 7 teams, and 5 of the top 11, but they are top heavy, with not many more teams being present on the national scene.