PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT:Ending Paper

As there seemed to be great interest in the movie thread about file transfer(off topic I might add ;)), I thought there might be some interest in this. I am completely overwhelmed by paper at work, and an often solution is to take about a 12" pile, open a drawer and drop it in to get to it later, just to clean my desk. I’ve got about 3 drawers full right now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703909904576052102053322810.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I liked this bit a lot…

After a vigorous scanning session, forget about trying to give every document a meaningful title; it’ll take forever. Instead, just convert your scans to searchable PDFs. (Most scanners come with software that can do this and Adobe Acrobat can handle it as well.) This allows you to search the body of the document you’re looking for using the standard search function on your computer.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1739”]As there seemed to be great interest in the movie thread about file transfer(off topic I might add ;)), I thought there might be some interest in this. I am completely overwhelmed by paper at work, and an often solution is to take about a 12" pile, open a drawer and drop it in to get to it later, just to clean my desk. I’ve got about 3 drawers full right now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703909904576052102053322810.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

I liked this bit a lot…

After a vigorous scanning session, forget about trying to give every document a meaningful title; it’ll take forever. Instead, just convert your scans to searchable PDFs. (Most scanners come with software that can do this and Adobe Acrobat can handle it as well.) This allows you to search the body of the document you’re looking for using the standard search function on your computer.
[/quote]

I’ve been looking into doing this for months and keep wavering back and forth on whether some type of document management software is necessary for home use or not. Scannable PDFs are great but they still have some problems.

One - they might recognize most of the info on the document but they can miss a lot too - too often what they miss is the really important stuff - like they get the $$$ amounts wrong.

Two - they don’t do a good job of categorizing things. To them a sheet of paper is just that a sheet of paper. Ideally you’d like to be able to do something like search and find all of your doctor bills. But without some sort of management system, how will you know the difference between a doctor bill and a recipe? Come tax time, how will I be able to retrieve all my receipts without plowing through every scan that I’ve done for the year?

I haven’t found a system that I like yet so I haven’t pulled the trigger but I intend to sometime soon.