PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Elena Delle Donne

Guess she’s doing okay. That may be the most points this year by a female college player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4766602

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:545”]Guess she’s doing okay. That may be the most points this year by a female college player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4766602[/quote]

I remember making a post on her when she was something like 13 years old saying that I thought I had seen the future of women’s basketball. I was disappointed when she left UConn because I was really looking forward to seeing her play. But if she’s happy playing hoops again, then I’m glad for her.

Good for Elena. Once she got to UCONN, it seemed like it just wasn’t the place for her. As I remember, she wanted to be closer to her family. Can’t argue with that.

Her father Ernie used to post on BWI. Elena’s brother Gene was a QB that was recruited by PSU for a while. He signed with Duke, then later transferred to Middle Tennessee State where he was a tight end.

I can argue with someone making the wrong decision in the first place and then leaving a team out to dry. Once you make a commitment, it’s up to you to hold up your end of the bargain.

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:545"]Good for Elena. Once she got to UCONN, it seemed like it just wasn't the place for her. As I remember, she wanted to be closer to her family. Can't argue with that.[/quote]

I can argue with someone making the wrong decision in the first place and then leaving a team out to dry. Once you make a commitment, it’s up to you to hold up your end of the bargain.

There were some extenuating circumstances in this case. Elena’s relationship with her sister played a big part.

Lizzie Delle Donne

Now playing basketball again for Delaware (a future Lady Lion opponent), she’s got 70 points and 19 rebounds in 2 games.

According to the Delaware web-site, she played there last year as well.

She is on pace to score 3,000 points and grab 1,000 rebounds in her collegiate career. How many others have done that?

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:545"]Good for Elena. Once she got to UCONN, it seemed like it just wasn't the place for her. As I remember, she wanted to be closer to her family. Can't argue with that.[/quote]

So the kid is supposed to go through her life unhappy because she made a decision as a high school senior. There are many ways to get what you want out of life. I agree she should have possibly chosen Delaware initially, but when you are 17 you think you have all the answers. She wasn’t happy at UConn, I don’t think she has been missed too much, the have won what 80 straight now. Plus she is happy and close to home.

I hope you never make a commitment to something that cause you to regret it after the fact.

So the kid is supposed to go through her life unhappy because she made a decision as a high school senior. There are many ways to get what you want out of life. I agree she should have possibly chosen Delaware initially, but when you are 17 you think you have all the answers. She wasn’t happy at UConn, I don’t think she has been missed too much, the have won what 80 straight now. Plus she is happy and close to home.

I hope you never make a commitment to something that cause you to regret it after the fact.

Agreed. For a team “left out to dry”, UConn seems to have survived quite well.

This may set the forum record for longest period of time between statement and retort.

This may set the forum record for longest period of time between statement and retort.

I wasn’t on earlier. Shocked somebody else didn’t beat me to it. I love when somebody beats somebody else up for things without knowing what went into the decision process. The old adage “Walk a mile in my shoes” comes to mind.

For what it’s worth - Elena is a tremendous young woman regardless of whether or not she ever scores another basket. She is playing right now through an incredible amount of back pain. This is her second year of basketball at UDEL, after playing a season of volleyball.

Can’t wait to watch her play at the BJC on Dec. 19.

After three games, she’s averaging 37.0 ppg, shooting .600 from beyond the arc (9-15), and .923 from the charity stripe (24-26).

Even more amazing numbers when you consider that she’s 6’5".

Get your tickets for the 19th now. She will be worth watching.

For those who haven’t ever seen her, here’s a high school highlight reel of her just dominating from the time that she was in eighth grade (led her team to four state titles in five years).

Elena Delle Donne