OT: Does the Internet Make You Dumber or Smarter?

Pretty interesting stuff. Recently, when asked, "what’s the most important thing to success, Warren Buffett answered, “focus.” Bill Gates answered the same. Buffett’s kids said they remembered growing up that they were not to bother their father when he was in his “room”, where he would read annual reports, stock guides, etc., for hours on end. That focus and energy in an era when information was difficult to obtain must have really given him an outstanding edge in investment ideas. You basically had to write to companies to get their SEC filings, now available in an instant, in real time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704025304575284981644790098.html

And, right along side that article, Does the internet make you smarter?

I was just going to add that, thanks. I did change the title.

It has made me smarter by far.

Strange… was just reading an article in Wired that’s an excerpt from Carr’s book…

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/05/ff_nicholas_carr/

I don’t think it has for me. Don’t get me wrong the internet is great. It is super fast getting most any information…BUT, sometimes there is “learning” in the HUNT for things/information.

[quote="noobd, post:4, topic:1210"]It has made me smarter by far.[/quote]

I don’t think it has for me. Don’t get me wrong the internet is great. It is super fast getting most any information…BUT, sometimes there is “learning” in the HUNT for things/information.

Well one has to learn the best way to Google, right? :smiley:

I’ve read multiple books over the internet that I wouldn’t have had access to without it. I participate in multiple forums which has significantly improved my grammar, how to communicate with people and how to facilitate ideas (hopefully!)… et cetera.

I mean it depends how people use the internet IMO. The people that go on YT to watch 20 second bloopers, Break.com and the like are the people that are “made dumber” by the internet.

The internet has opened me to ideas and knowledge that I highly doubt I would have ever came across without it. And for that, I am thankful. ;D

I find it harder to concentrate when reading a real book, especially when technical material. I scan articles on the net, and when reading something serious in hardcopy, I find it more difficult than I used to. Very, very difficult for me to read a book for an hour or longer. Been struggling reading, “Mathematics of Poker”, recommended by Craftsy. It’s not ultra difficult, but technical, with probabilities, pot odds, etc. I realize this should be slower reading, but have been unable to put the time in for longer than 30 minutes or so, which covers about 3 pages. I find myself going back to my laptop for “easier” stuff, less demanding of concentration. BTW, I hear college professors are complaining of kids “texting” in class. They say it’s constant.

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1210”]I’ve read multiple books over the internet that I wouldn’t have had access to without it. I participate in multiple forums which has significantly improved my grammar, how to communicate with people and how to facilitate ideas (hopefully!)… et cetera.

I mean it depends how people use the internet IMO. The people that go on YT to watch 20 second bloopers, Break.com and the like are the people that are “made dumber” by the internet.

The internet has opened me to ideas and knowledge that I highly doubt I would have ever came across without it. And for that, I am thankful. ;D[/quote]

Exactly. It’s dependent upon the person and how they use it. I taught myself how to build and repair computers using the web. Now if only I could master debugging software. :frowning:

Huh? ??? LOL :smiley:

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1210"]I've read multiple books over the internet that I wouldn't have had access to without it. I participate in multiple forums which has significantly improved my grammar, how to communicate with people and how to facilitate ideas (hopefully!)... et cetera.

The internet has opened me to ideas and knowledge that I highly doubt I would have ever came across without it. And for that, I am thankful. ;D[/quote]

Exactly. It’s dependent upon the person and how they use it. I taught myself how to build and repair computers using the web. Now if only I could master debugging software. :frowning:

Exactly!!..I have never taken an internet university course. But, I have talked to several youngsters who have. They all say the internet courses are much easier to get a good grade BUT they admit that they learned little to nothing in the course work. The learning was far less than a class room setting.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1210"]I've read multiple books over the internet that I wouldn't have had access to without it. I participate in multiple forums which has significantly improved my grammar, how to communicate with people and how to facilitate ideas (hopefully!)... et cetera.

Exactly!!..I have never taken an internet university course. But, I have talked to several youngsters who have. They all say the internet courses are much easier to get a good grade BUT they admit that they learned little to nothing in the course work. The learning was far less than a class room setting.

I think the potential of the internet as a learning tool is incomparable. When you think of developing countries, and their population’s lack of access to good schools and university education, the internet offers hope of achievement without the great costs associated with a typical university education. What college costs are at now is absurd. But, like texting, I find it’s fun and busy time, but as a real learning tool, I don’t use it that way. I use it more as a substitute for TV, which I rarely watch, other than Sunday morning shows and sports. When you think about it, TV should be great source of learning, but look how short that falls. Has there been anything worse ever invented which has damaged the ability of children to concentrate on schoolwork, reading, homework, etc., than television? How much better is the internet? In many ways, the internet has just substituted for TV, IMO. Some ways, good, other ways, not so good. This site is fun, but isn’t it just a distraction from doing something productive?

Great post, Kid. The comparison between TV and the internet is excellent.

I find myself with the same problem. I can generally push through it, but it’s a lot harder to just sit down in isolation and read something - my mind races, if I read something that makes me think of something else I get lost thinking about it. Probably a situation where if i were on the net I’d do a quick google of it or something like that.

I think the internet has made me a lot better at multi-tasking, at the same time. Right now for instance, I have a live video stream up, I’m browsing two different forums, watching a television show, and working on building a website… and i’m pretty bored. LOL

Here’s where the internet could really help,(I didn’t want to start a new thread) but the college monopoly makes it difficult to get an accredited online degree in all subjects. I just don’t see how the college system survives in its present form. It’s way too expensive for what you get. Former top business guru Peter Drucker predicted colleges would be in trouble, big time. FYI, Glenn Harlan Reynolds is a professor at U of Tennessee. I used to raise money for biotech companies, and there were many Indian, Pakistani and Chinese who worked at venture capital funds who had done their undergrad work in their home countries at a fraction of the expense, then obtained their doctorates in the US, usually on scholarship.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/Sunday_Reflections/Higher-education_s-bubble-is-about-to-burst-95639354.html

The NY Times chips in…and it’s not great. For anybody with kids who text, ever check how many texts they do in a month? My daughter, 3,000. My niece, 9,000. Not sure how they ever get anything else done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:17, topic:1210”]The NY Times chips in…and it’s not great. For anybody with kids who text, ever check how many texts they do in a month? My daughter, 3,000. My niece, 9,000. Not sure how they ever get anything else done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all[/quote]

9,000? :o

That is an AVERAGE of almost 19 texts per hour for every waking hour in a 30-day month (and that doesn’t account for school, eating, etc…). You ask a good question - how do they get anything else done?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:17, topic:1210"]The NY Times chips in....and it's not great. For anybody with kids who text, ever check how many texts they do in a month? My daughter, 3,000. My niece, 9,000. Not sure how they ever get anything else done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all[/quote]

9,000? :o

That is an AVERAGE of almost 19 texts per hour for every waking hour in a 30-day month (and that doesn’t account for school, eating, etc…). You ask a good question - how do they get anything else done?

These facts need data cleansing. If you eliminate the texts that just say “lol”, then that number drops to about 300. :wink:

Since at least 75% of my internet usage is reading this forum…you tell me. Is it making me smarter or dumber?