PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Dick Clark dies at age 82

How many of us grew up watching American Bandstand? You young’uns probably heard of him, maybe even saw him on New Years Eve, but he was best known for American Bandstand., a weekly dance show filmed in Philadelphia, that would have a live performance by a new artist or a huge top artist.

If you go back far enough, it was a daily show shown live in Philly. Also, you do have one thing sort of wrong. While the artists were live in person, their performances were always lip synced. Clark felt the songs should be heard just as they were recorded, so he insisted that they not actually sing/play the songs.

And now, they lip sync because they can’t sing the songs live just the way they were recorded.

[quote author=UncleLar link=topic=3343.msg89524#msg89524 date=1334796217]

How many of us grew up watching American Bandstand? You young'uns probably heard of him, maybe even saw him on New Years Eve, but he was best known for American Bandstand., a weekly dance show filmed in Philadelphia, that would have a live performance by a new artist or a huge top artist.

If you go back far enough, it was a daily show shown live in Philly. Also, you do have one thing sort of wrong. While the artists were live in person, their performances were always lip synced. Clark felt the songs should be heard just as they were recorded, so he insisted that they not actually sing/play the songs.
[/quote

Sorry Lar…even i’m not old enough to remember the daily Bandstand shows. ;D]

That was back before the world had color in it (I’ve seen the pictures and movies).

It wasn’t until Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier that the world added a little Roy G Biv (who went on to join Bell and DeVoe in a later singing group).

I love being the uncle that answers all of my niece’s and nephew’s questions. :wink:

[quote="billtown, post:1, topic:3248"]How many of us grew up watching American Bandstand? You young'uns probably heard of him, maybe even saw him on New Years Eve, but he was best known for American Bandstand., a weekly dance show filmed in Philadelphia, that would have a live performance by a new artist or a huge top artist.[/quote]

Sorry Lar…even i’m not old enough to remember the daily Bandstand shows. ;D]

One of my earliest teenage crushes was on one of the kids who was a regular on the show - Arlene Sullivan.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:6, topic:3248”]One of my earliest teenage crushes was on one of the kids who was a regular on the show - Arlene Sullivan.

[/quote]

I’m not old enough for Bandstand but my New Year’s Eves will never be the same. I remember my mom was a big fan of the $25,000 Pyramid

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:3248"]One of my earliest teenage crushes was on one of the kids who was a regular on the show - Arlene Sullivan.

[/quote]

image redacted for readability sake

Seems you had it worse than I did. ;D

There was a kid on my floor freshman year at Penn State who went to school with and knew Arlene (Central High I believe) - I was jealous.

Did anyone else get an uneasy feeling looking at that Teen Magazine cover and imagining Lar going mad and dancing the Grunt?