PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Dave on VCU

Nice little piece: Dave on VCU

Great story.

Also nice to know that we here at PennStateHoops were ahead of the curve on Jerry Palm too. ;D

Nice story.

But let’s not forget Palm said we had no chance of dancing (at large) just a week before the tournament. He got it straight by the time it counted, but the expert was reeling this year. :smiley:

NEVER FORGET. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus - judging a team’s performance IN the tournament is no way of judging how the committee did in choosing the at-large teams. And VCU is playing way over their heads right now, this is the same team that lost their last 3 home games and 4 of their last 5 in the regular season. There is nothing special that they do when you examine their kenpom page. They’ve put together a nice little 3 game streak here and it’s been impressive, but this would be one of the most surprising things I’ve ever seen in sports if they were to continue it beyond this weekend.

I didn’t know Mike Rhoads was at VCU. Randolph Macon was a DIII power when he was there.

Craftsy has this correct, and I am surprised more people don’t talk about that. Just because VCU won games that doesn’t justify them getting in over other teams. I don’t pay attention to whether or not they should have been in over Colorado, St. Mary’s, etc, but the other near miss teams could just have easily snuck in and gone on a run. Once you are in the tournament, matchups are everything.

Georgetown was reeling, having not won a game in more than a month, and Chris Wright was playing for the first time in some number of games. Purdue just booted Barlow off the team, and they haven’t seen anything like VCU in the Big 10. I admittedly picked G’Town to win because I thought they might get an emotional charge by having Wright back, but that was quickly proven to be incorrect. I told my friend VCU would beat Purdue because they matched up well against them.

I doubt Richmond would have received an at-large if they lost the A-10 title game, and look where they are.

Totally agree. Using that logic, you could argue that 34 of the teams did not deserve their bid after the Friday games last weekend. But I believe the frustration with the committee is that they were inconsistent in applying their selection criteria. If the criteria used to get VCU in were applied to Clemson, they should not have make the cut.

And VCU is playing way over their heads right now, this is the same team that lost their last 3 home games and 4 of their last 5 in the regular season. There is nothing special that they do when you examine their kenpom page. They've put together a nice little 3 game streak here and it's been impressive, but this would be one of the most surprising things I've ever seen in sports if they were to continue it beyond this weekend.

I think VCU has a chance against Florida State but beyond that, probably not much. They score a lot of their points from the 3 and if their shooters go cold, they will struggle. What bails them out though is defense (especially back court steals) and rebounding.

Plus - judging a team's performance IN the tournament is no way of judging how the committee did in choosing the at-large teams.

Totally agree. Using that logic, you could argue that 34 of the teams did not deserve their bid after the Friday games last weekend. But I believe the frustration with the committee is that they were inconsistent in applying their selection criteria. If the criteria used to get VCU in were applied to Clemson, they should not have make the cut.

And VCU is playing way over their heads right now, this is the same team that lost their last 3 home games and 4 of their last 5 in the regular season. There is nothing special that they do when you examine their kenpom page. They've put together a nice little 3 game streak here and it's been impressive, but this would be one of the most surprising things I've ever seen in sports if they were to continue it beyond this weekend.

I think VCU has a chance against Florida State but beyond that, probably not much. They score a lot of their points from the 3 and if their shooters go cold, they will struggle. What bails them out though is defense (especially back court steals) and rebounding.

That’s the thing - they aren’t great rebounders, and they don’t shoot the ball spectacularly from 3. They just have done both of those very well the last 3 games. In fact, this season they are one of the worst teams at giving up offensive rebounds in the entire country (bottom 10 percent give or take).

The only things they have done well consistently all year are steal the ball and not give up turnovers on offense. Two important things, for sure - but they are just kind of average everywhere else, probably why they were a bubble team. :smiley:

VCU had 48 points in the paint vs. Purdue, and only made 8 3s

In the games I have seen VCU play during the season, they were able to shoot clutch 3’s and rebound when they had to. They didn’t do it consistently enough to be ranked nationally. I used to think they could pull it off because it was the CAA. But the way they have done it against Georgetown and Purdue is truly amazing to me.

The only things they have done well consistently all year are steal the ball and not give up turnovers on offense. Two important things, for sure - but they are just kind of average everywhere else, probably why they were a bubble team. :D

I think this is one case where being “a jack of all trades but master of none” helps, right?

That's the thing - they aren't great rebounders, and they don't shoot the ball spectacularly from 3. They just have done both of those very well the last 3 games. In fact, this season they are one of the worst teams at giving up offensive rebounds in the entire country (bottom 10 percent give or take).

In the games I have seen VCU play during the season, they were able to shoot clutch 3’s and rebound when they had to. They didn’t do it consistently enough to be ranked nationally. I used to think they could pull it off because it was the CAA. But the way they have done it against Georgetown and Purdue is truly amazing to me.

The only things they have done well consistently all year are steal the ball and not give up turnovers on offense. Two important things, for sure - but they are just kind of average everywhere else, probably why they were a bubble team. :D

I think this is one case where being “a jack of all trades but master of none” helps, right?

But they aren’t even “jacks” of all trades. They’re more like “8’s or 9’s of all trades”. I mean this is a team that, had they been left out of the tournament, nobody would have said a damn thing about it. That’s just how average they’ve been all season. Now they win 3 games and suddenly they are the greatest thing to happen to the game of basketball in god knows how long. I think it’s more a case of them getting extremely hot at what they do and getting some VERY favorable matchups, plus an complete egg of an effort from Purdue.

I hope Shaka can turn this into a great job, cause is is a bit of good timing. What was with Purdue? They were so off brand in their game (not that VCU was not outstanding). They have not been a team that backs down in a tough situation, but they seemed dispirited very early on in that game.

Even tonight FSU is just missing a ton of bunnies right now or they would be up 10 already. There is nothing remarkable about what VCU does other than the fact that it worked so well the last 3 games against solid opponents. Maybe the fact that they scramble so much all over the floor, but teams like Clemson try this style of play with the same kind of players and it doesn’t seem to bother that many opponents. I don’t get it. They bug me because I can’t figure them out.