PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT : Daniel Snyder

Wow is this guy horrible or what ? As an Eagles fan I love it ,but man you have to feel a little bit for the Skins fans :stuck_out_tongue:

He is very bad, and their fans are delusional. they want to have a successful franchise but don’t want to accept the process. QB is an issue on that team but so are a lot of other positions. OL and WRs stink and that team isn’t getting anywhere by giving away 1st round picks for akili smith part 2

RG3 has a ton more going for him than Akili Smith.

A risky trade, no doubt, but definitely one with a high reward ceiling.

Plus the Skins have money to be active in FA, too.

[quote=“Tom, post:3, topic:3167”]RG3 has a ton more going for him than Akili Smith.

Plus the Skins have money to be active in FA, too.[/quote]Danny boy has spent mucho $ before but not in a good way :wink:

Living in DC, I take great humor watching the major league franchises here completely outclass each other in ineptness.

They learn well from the politicians they walk amongst!

This is the price for a franchise QB. I think they made the right move here.

If the kid is the real deal, this will be looked on as a no-brainer. The QB position is that important. In hindsight, anyone would have given up that much for Peyton, Brady, Montana or Marino.

Problem is, hard to predict who will succeed at the position. There was even some debate at the time about whether to take Peyton over Ryan Leaf, which seems ridiculous in hindsight.

Big gamble, but a lot of upside if it works.

The nearest comparison was the Giants trading for Eli. We’ll see in 8 years where the Skins stand w/ Griffin at the QB position. I’ve got my doubts, starting w/ the fact that he played in a conference devoid of defense. We’ll see, however.

[quote=“pennst92, post:8, topic:3167”]The nearest comparison was the Giants trading for Eli. We’ll see in 8 years where the Skins stand w/ Griffin at the QB position. I’ve got my doubts, starting w/ the fact that he played in a conference devoid of defense. We’ll see, however.[/quote]What was involved with that trade. Did they give up as much ? (not being smart but to lazy to look)

[quote=“Tom, post:3, topic:3167”]RG3 has a ton more going for him than Akili Smith.

Plus the Skins have money to be active in FA, too.[/quote]

Yeah, but he (Snyder) stinks at free agency. This is the same guy who threw all of his money at Albert Haynesworth the instant he became a free agent. Gave Antwan Randle-El a huge contract because he saw him run a gimmick play in the Super Bowl. Routinely gives mega-millions guaranteed to aging players who get here and have no incentive to work hard. I don’t see it working, because Snyder is the biggest problem with the franchise. A better move in my mind would have been to sign Kyle Orton or Matt Flynn on the FA market, and hang on to the future #1 picks and this year’s 2nd round pick. The problem with this move is they had the #6 pick and a 2nd round pick which they no longer have. And they lose 1st round picks in 2013 and 2014. The whole future has been mortgaged to bring in a guy with nothing around him on offense, and only free agency plus rounds 2-6 available to put anything around him. Plus in 2-3 years the now decent defense will be getting older. And he won’t give things any time to develop. If they struggle next season, which they obviously will, he will fire Mike Shanahan and everyone will have to learn a new system in 2013. It’s the typical stupidity of Daniel Snyder, who is like a kid collecting baseball cards rather than an owner building a franchise.

The winner here was the Rams franchise, no question about it. This is like the move where the Vikings made the Cowboys into a dynasty by throwing away tons of picks for Herschel Walker.

[quote="pennst92, post:8, topic:3167"]The nearest comparison was the Giants trading for Eli. We'll see in 8 years where the Skins stand w/ Griffin at the QB position. I've got my doubts, starting w/ the fact that he played in a conference devoid of defense. We'll see, however.[/quote]What was involved with that trade. Did they give up as much ? (not being smart but to lazy to look)

Giants traded their 1st (which was Philip Rivers) and 3rd round picks in 2004 and their 2005 1st and 5th round pick

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:5, topic:3167”]Living in DC, I take great humor watching the major league franchises here completely outclass each other in ineptness.

They learn well from the politicians they walk amongst![/quote]
Can we include Angelos in that group? He ruined the orioles for me… well, except I can get decent seats again

Matt Yglesias on the economics of NFL drafting and team building.

He thinks it’s a bad move.

Living in DC, I take great humor watching the major league franchises here completely outclass each other in ineptness.

They learn well from the politicians they walk amongst!

Can we include Angelos in that group? He ruined the orioles for me… well, except I can get decent seats again

The Wizards and Nationals appear to be heading in the right direction. The Nationals might be exciting in 2 seasons or so. The Wizards are at the very beginning that process, but they need to dump Blatche to really move up to the next tier. The Redskins are just ridiculous, because of Snyder.

[quote=“tjb, post:13, topic:3167”]Matt Yglesias on the economics of NFL drafting and team building.

He thinks it’s a bad move.[/quote]
He thinks so. Trading 4 starters for one guy (albeit a QB) who he doesn’t have anybody to throw to. Washington is Oakland East. When Oakland drafted Jamarcus I was hoping they would draft Megatron with the first overall pick and then follow it up with Trent Edwards in Round 2. So they drafted Jamarcus and he had nobody to throw to, but it wouldn’t help that kid anyway he was a head case. Hopefully for the Redskins it turns out better.

Matt Yglesias on [url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/03/10/the_economics_of_the_redskins_terrible_draft_trade.html]the economics of NFL drafting and team building.[/url]

He thinks it’s a bad move.

He thinks so. Trading 4 starters for one guy (albeit a QB) who he doesn’t have anybody to throw to. Washington is Oakland East. When Oakland drafted Jamarcus I was hoping they would draft Megatron with the first overall pick and then follow it up with Trent Edwards in Round 2. So they drafted Jamarcus and he had nobody to throw to, but it wouldn’t help that kid anyway he was a head case. Hopefully for the Redskins it turns out better.

The Redskins could have used #6 on Blackmon, and added to their OL in round 2. That plus a free agent QB would be 3 pieces that would improve things, plus a high round 1 pick next season. Now they threw that all away just for the QB.

Snyder’s number 1 priority is making headlines, and getting a good reaction from the DC media. He was afraid that signing Orton or Flynn wouldn’t have gotten him enough praise on talk radio. He doesn’t get it. He’ll fire Shanahan when his awful strategy fails again.

[quote="tjb, post:13, topic:3167"]Matt Yglesias on [url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/03/10/the_economics_of_the_redskins_terrible_draft_trade.html]the economics of NFL drafting and team building.[/url]

The Redskins could have used #6 on Blackmon, and added to their OL in round 2. That plus a free agent QB would be 3 pieces that would improve things, plus a high round 1 pick next season. Now they threw that all away just for the QB.

Snyder’s number 1 priority is making headlines, and getting a good reaction from the DC media. He was afraid that signing Orton or Flynn wouldn’t have gotten him enough praise on talk radio. He doesn’t get it. He’ll fire Shanahan when his awful strategy fails again.

Well he should fire Shanahan because Shanahan hasn’t been a good coach since Elway left.

However, you need to get great QB play to be successful in today’s NFL. Robert Griffin III has the chance to be even better than Andrew Luck. He’s got a great arm, he’s incredibly smart (considered law school), and he is an awesome athlete. He will be a great NFL QB in my opinion.

Your idea sounds like a good draft strategy, if everyone pans out. If Blackmon isn’t good, if the lineman doesn’t pan out, or Flynn/Orton doesn’t give you the success you hoped, then you are sitting there saying “we could have traded for Robert Griffin III.”

IMO, RGIII was the best QB in college football last year, he’s played for three years, and put up dynamite stats. Griffin will be the most exciting player in the league next year. I would make the trade. If it works out, it will be worth it. Besides, there are always Victor Cruz’s and players of that ilk who do not get drafted that you can sign. The new restricted salary cap make this a desirable move because it gives you flexibility in Free Agency.

[quote="tjb, post:13, topic:3167"]Matt Yglesias on [url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/03/10/the_economics_of_the_redskins_terrible_draft_trade.html]the economics of NFL drafting and team building.[/url]

Well he should fire Shanahan because Shanahan hasn’t been a good coach since Elway left.

However, you need to get great QB play to be successful in today’s NFL. Robert Griffin III has the chance to be even better than Andrew Luck. He’s got a great arm, he’s incredibly smart (considered law school), and he is an awesome athlete. He will be a great NFL QB in my opinion.

Your idea sounds like a good draft strategy, if everyone pans out. If Blackmon isn’t good, if the lineman doesn’t pan out, or Flynn/Orton doesn’t give you the success you hoped, then you are sitting there saying “we could have traded for Robert Griffin III.”

IMO, RGIII was the best QB in college football last year, he’s played for three years, and put up dynamite stats. Griffin will be the most exciting player in the league next year. I would make the trade. If it works out, it will be worth it. Besides, there are always Victor Cruz’s and players of that ilk who do not get drafted that you can sign. The new restricted salary cap make this a desirable move because it gives you flexibility in Free Agency.

Did they really need to swap 1st round picks,give up 2 more 1st round picks, and a 2nd round pick? That seems like a lot for a team with a lot of holes.

It may seem like they have a lot of holes, but it’s amazing, once you get a good QB in the NFL, some of your “holes” just vanish.

I agree.

IMO the game today rewards a passing-first approach. Low risk high reward west coast style offense is what the percentages dictate. Of course, you need defense to win it all, but a passing offense will win a lot on its own. An uber-QB is a must in the NFL today. RG3 is worth the risk.