I’m watching the Illini :o

OK, it’s against the Salukis, but :o

4 guys 6"10 and over who can run the floor :o

Outside shooting :o

Suffocating defense :o

McCamey, Richardson, Paul, Richmond :o :o :o :o

And then there’s Luther Head’s little brother :o

Good luck Big Ten ;D

Remember Edward DeChellis has Mr Webber’s number.

But this, my friend, is the deepest, most talented Illini bunch since…dare I say…1989.

Though I will say if you take McCamey out of the lineup, they don’t have the solid point play that they got out of the three Head-ed monster of Williams/Brown/Head in 2005. That might be their only weakness.

However, their 2nd team of Paul/Head/Richmond/Griffey/Leonard would challenge for seventh in the Big Ten.

As good as the Positionless Clones?

Well… Ed still has their number.

Very very deep B10 this year. Going to be a tough year. Hopefully we can stay injury free .

I like the illini but they are still too soft down low. Great guard play though.

Impressive…

Another weakness, no doubt…and in the Big Ten, with the likes of JuJuan Johnson, Sullinger, Leuer and the Grade A Beef in East Lansing, close games can and will come down to securing key rebounds.

But…but…but :o

Just as an update…Texas 90 Illinois 84 F/OT

In the immortal words of Dennis Green…“They are who we thought they were”

Texas was very successful in taking McCamey out of the action most of the second half and overtime. The Illini were forced to find other ways to run the offense and at times did OK, but not nearly as efficiently and effectively as they were in the first half. But like I stated above, beyond McCamey, the Illini will struggle in their half court sets, very similar to when teams take Battle away. Then again, there is Jereme Richmond :o

Also, the Illini look thin, yet big and deep up front “Thin” and “big” in the sense of being tall, not bulky with guys who can fill up space and get rebounds. Then again, there is Jereme Richmond :o

By the way, Tisdale fouled out on a few phantom calls, though Texas was very aggressive against him, causing contact. And Richmond fouled out midway through the overtime period. With those two on the floor, Illinois I feel wins this game.

Illinois faces Maryland in the consolation of the Coaches vs Cancer Tourney this afternoon at 5:00 on ESPN2. Chance to see two of the Nits future opponents.

Is it just me or does it seem like Tisdale has been there for 7 or 8 years. I look forward to him graduating.

Same thing can be said about Battle or anyone who has played almost every game since their very first one freshman year.

In fact, this is what I like about the Big Ten for the most part (other than the one-and-doners that Matta likes to stockpile). There is a comfort factor in knowing that the stars of the league will be there for three or four years and the very reason why I would hope that college basketball and the NBA would make these kids who decide to play college ball, at least give two years to their school.

As far as I’m concerned one-and-doners have made a mockery and have torn at the fabric of “college” basketball.

But that’s another conversation for another thread.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:9, topic:1497”]Just as an update…Texas 90 Illinois 84 F/OT

In the immortal words of Dennis Green…“They are who we thought they were”

Texas was very successful in taking McCamey out of the action most of the second half and overtime. The Illini were forced to find other ways to run the offense and at times did OK, but not nearly as efficiently and effectively as they were in the first half. But like I stated above, beyond McCamey, the Illini will struggle in their half court sets, very similar to when teams take Battle away. Then again, there is Jereme Richmond :o

Also, the Illini look thin, yet big and deep up front “Thin” and “big” in the sense of being tall, not bulky with guys who can fill up space and get rebounds. Then again, there is Jereme Richmond :o

By the way, Tisdale fouled out on a few phantom calls, though Texas was very aggressive against him, causing contact. And Richmond fouled out midway through the overtime period. With those two on the floor, Illinois I feel wins this game.

Illinois faces Maryland in the consolation of the Coaches vs Cancer Tourney this afternoon at 5:00 on ESPN2. Chance to see two of the Nits future opponents.[/quote]

While watching the last few minutes of regulation in that game, I was thinking McCamey WAS the problem with the half court set.

As the analysts were making McCamey out to be a great player by saying “he’s taking over the game”, I thought he was forcing the action and putting up horrible shots at the end. You play McCamey and the game is over, he’s not giving up the ball. It wasn’t heroic, it was selfish and short-sighted.

Skeeza,

Say what you want about Dmac, and yes he might have tried to force matters at times. But Texas did a heck of a job taking him out of the game and he probably was getting a little frustrated.

Regardless of what happened in the second half of the game, McCamey is the straw that stirs the Illini’s drink. Like many talented college point guards, he’ll do things that will amaze you and things that will make you want to shake your head.