PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT-Coronavirus/COVID 19

Just found out that the coronavirus has hit Tampa.

I’m supposed to go on Spring Break there next week.

“Ain’t seen nothing yet” :laughing:. You sound like you pay way too much attention to the media and hysteria.

“Very deadly” is a bit much, and we do not fall into those categories. The flu is also deadly and a lot more common

1 Like

Some of us might. :wink:

Just to support your view.

For the 2018-19 season, the CDC estimates for influenza’s impact in the U.S. are:

sick people: 35.5 million
seeking treatment: 16.5 million
hospitalized: 490,000
deaths: 34,200

So while that does put the coronavirus’s mortality rate perhaps a hundred times the flu’s, you might be a thousand times more likely to die from the flu than you are coronavirus.

1 Like

Someone elderly like you is at much higher risk. Make sure to take care of yourself Lar!

1 Like

Not when you lead a healthy lifestyle like I do. :wink:

3 Likes

Saw on the news this morning a reporter interviewing people stocking up at Costco. One dude rolled out with like 15 boxes of Trojans and lots of lube. Lmao.

2 Likes

It may need updated, but here ya go:

"Seven things you should know about the coronavirus, written by a registered nurse :wave: :

1. Coronavirus itself isn’t new. Just like influenza, coronavirus is a family of respiratory viruses, and there are multiple strains, which have the ability to change over time. Coronavirus is already common in the United States, and has been for years. I have personally cared for patients with this diagnosis.

2. Novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, is the strain we’re hearing about in the news. It emerged in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019.

3. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Just like the flu and common cold, it is spread person to person via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

4. According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.

5. “But there’s no cure!” You’re right. There’s no magic pill that cures the flu either. But there is a flu vaccine (that doesn’t cause autism) that can protect you from our most common respiratory viruses. Maybe go get one.

6. So, why are we panicking? Frankly, because the media tells us to. Manufacturing a pandemic is a great way to boost ratings, but everything science knows so far about COVID-19 has revealed it to be no more than yet another respiratory virus (and there are thousands).

7. The scariest part of COVID-19 isn’t the virus itself, it’s the resulting baseless mass paranoia. Hospitals are hoarding supplies, creating shortages of PPE necessary to protect healthcare workers and patients. Cities are refusing to house and treat sick people who have nowhere else to go. People are using the virus as an excuse for their own social prejudices.

So, what can you do? Turn off the TV and arm yourself with the facts. Stop the spread of false information.

And for Pete’s sake, wash your hands.

(Information & statistics obtained directly from the CDC & WHO)

Want to know more? Learn from the experts:

Coronavirus"

The biggest reason for the panic? The fact that so much of the world’s manufacturing power relies on suppliers from China.

USA is up to 91 confirmed cases (44 of those originating on that cruise ship), most minor. Two deaths are older people with pre-existing medical issues. So the same profile that would be most affected by the seasonal flu.

There are likely significantly more that have it (across the world, not just the USA), but with symptoms so minor they don’t suspect it or don’t feel like it’s worth getting tested.

The 2009 Swine Flu epidemic killed about 12k in the US and 200k worldwide. But with much, much less panic than this.

Social media wasn’t that big then, which is part of it. Back then there were about 30 million monthly active twitter users, and now it’s over 300M.

With a factor or 1.75 the swine flu wasn’t that contagious (albeit more deadly). Meaning the average infected person will infect 1.75 others. coronavirus is somewhere like 2.79 with variance by source. So this thing spreads like wildfire and is really tough to contain since you can spread it without knowing you have it. Everyone comes into contact with elderly parents and grandparents who are especially vulnerable, so people are trying to figure out, can I go visit grandma even though I’m not showing any signs? We just need to learn more about this.

The reported infection factor varies extremely widely, from 1.4 to over 4.

Yes I took the median from some medical publication. We just don’t know yet. More info needed and we can’t trust jack coming from China

2 Likes

Believe it or not some of us do.

2 Likes

Ain’t it the truth!

2 Likes

Ha! I’ve got travel plans to a severely affected area and I asked my doc if I were in any of the categories and he said “at least one”. :eyes:

I still plan to go.

1 Like

Tour operator just cancelled our September trip to China. At least I can get a full refund of the relatively small deposit.

Do we have contingency plans for the website in the event tjb gets taken down by coronavirus in his risky travel zone?

2 Likes

In the words of his brother from a number of years ago (when he was indeed quite ill).

Good advice in seemingly any context.

2 Likes

Fascinating thread. So what is more likely? A coronavirus-induced NCAA tournament without spectators or PSU not making the NCAA tournament by losing all of their remaining games?

1 Like

Neither because the NCAA wants fans at the arenas and PSU is a lock for the tournament. It’s just ludicrous some of our fans actually think we aren’t tournament material. Heck some of our fans probably think that PSU will have a LOSING SEASON.

Easy answer: While metropolitan-area schools become afflicted with COVID-19, PSU’s remote nature is for the first and only time an asset, as the proverbial 2-day camping trip keeps the team healthy while the rest of the NCAA field falls ill. PSU wins the national title by default following a string of forfeits. Due to a lack of actual basketball footage, “One Shining Moment” is set to a water dispenser from Pat’s office and highlights from the infamous Bon Jovi BJC concert.

1 Like