PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT-Coronavirus/COVID 19

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I predict coronavirus is going to throw a wrench into the NCAA tournament. At a bare minimum, attendance will be way down due to lack of desire to travel. Who wants to go to Spokane or Sacramento at this point and be in stadiums with 20k people? It’s going to freak people out justified or not.

Tournament is 3 weeks away. A lot can happen between now and then and this thing could really explode. Other countries have had major quarantines and stopping schools. This is def not a “everyone is going to die” post, I’m just saying 3 weeks is a ton of time for this thing to spiral out of control and produce mass reactions or overreactions. Worst case scenario is they still play the tournaments, maybe move some sites away from bad areas, and or play in front of empty stadiums. Something to keep an eye on.

Hoping this isn’t the case. (Posted in wrong thread so moving here)

I think it will spread pretty quickly, but that’s because there is no vaccine. From all reports that I’ve seen the actual flu symptoms aren’t really much worse than normal. The deaths are almost all for people with other medical conditions that the flu exacerbates.

I think a lot will depend on how prevalent the coronavirus is going into March Madness.

1 Like

The seasonal flu spreads pretty quickly and there is a vaccine (though of course its effectiveness varies from year to year).

The hype behind the coronavirus is more dangerous than the virus itself

1 Like

The hype sells advertising.

(I am not endorsing the website listed or have ever even visited it, fwiw)

Attack of the memes, but I’m tired with the freak out and hype

Here’s a scenario for you…

Penn State makes the NCAA Tournament
NCAA Tournament gets canceled for the coronavirus.

4 Likes

I’ll claim a Natty for that

2 Likes

Co-National Champions Banner.

3 Likes

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I predict coronavirus is going to throw a wrench into the NCAA tournament. At a bare minimum, attendance will be way down due to lack of desire to travel. Who wants to go to Spokane or Sacramento at this point and be in stadiums with 20k people? It’s going to freak people out justified or not.

Tournament is 3 weeks away. A lot can happen between now and then and this thing could really explode. Other countries have had major quarantines and stopping schools. This is def not a “everyone is going to die” post, I’m just saying 3 weeks is a ton of time for this thing to spiral out of control and produce mass reactions or overreactions. Worst case scenario is they still play the tournaments, maybe move some sites away from bad areas, and or play in front of empty stadiums. Something to keep an eye on.

Hoping this isn’t the case.

You’re not being a “debbie-downer.” A group purporting to represent the interests of college student-athletes has already called on the NCAA to consider “spectator-less” tournament games. As we know well, the NCAA will do whatever it pleases without much regard to the perspectives of others, but you can bet this issue is being discussed at the highest levels. It will depend heavily on what happens with virus spread over the coming days and weeks, as you suggest.

1 Like

Ehh this was brought up on a different site. It’ll be what it’s gonna be, nothing we can do about it, no biggie. Although, this may mean tickets on the secondary market will be cheaper for us

This country has had 29 cases confirmed when not including the 44 originally from the cruise ship. Most are mild symptoms. The only person that has died had pre-existing complicating medical issues that even the seasonal flu would be life-threatening to. Sure the number will increase, but so will the numbers of the seasonal flu.

1 Like

Lamar and Mike have been training for spectatorless games the past 3 years in the BJC. We got this

13 Likes

I don’t disagree with you, but I still see huge changes happening. Quarantines etc. that number can escalate really quickly. As of a week ago, I was ready to go to the NCAA tournament in whatever site we get selected to. Now? I’m probably scratching Spokane and Sacramento off of my list if this progresses as expected the next 3 weeks. I wasn’t thrilled about those sites to begin with, so it wouldn’t take much for me to say f it, I’m out.

What would be interesting if the tournament could find a way to do this, would be to say screw the home field advantage rules and other bracket rules they have and just work on placing teams at sites close to their campus to avoid as much travel as possible. Will it happen? Doubt it. But I expect it’s being considered at least. They’re probably considering a wide range of things, from mild to extreme.

The freak out over their Coronavirus is too much. There seems to be a disease freak out every few years, whether it’s SARS, Ebola, or Coronavirus. The truth is that it is not very deadly and low numbers have contracted it.

Don’t watch the news.

SARS in 2003 was actually also a coronavirus. This one is a close relative from 2003’s strain.

1 Like

I wish someone would publish a breakdown of the ages of those that died and any underlying conditions they had. It seems like this virus is not a significant risk to young, healthy people. There have been tens of thousands of US citizens that have died from the flu already this winter season.

I read it was an 18% mortality rate for those 80 and older while the mortality rate for toddlers was lower than that of the flu.

2 Likes

It is very deadly for elderly folks and infants (the latter I presume). Problem is is that we ain’t seen nothing yet. And there’s no way to stop it realistically. And we are a year away from A vaccine