PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Champions League Final

So, to the soccer fans (or football, and no not the one in Beaver Stadium football), who here is excited for Manchester United vs Barcelona? This game is going to be huge in the landscape of the game. I’m pretty excited, even though Barcelona’s team is very predictable, Man United’s isn’t. I wonder if Javier Hernandez will start. If he does, I think United will have a much better chance to win. His movement, and pace will trouble the much slower Pique, and Puyol. Then again, this is Barcelona, United have to be able to get the ball, and get it to Hernandez.

Hey I’m looking forward to it too. Been waiting for this since the semi-finals a few weeks ago. Should be a great match. I checked the TV guide and while the preview show is on FSC, it looks like the match itself is not on FSC live, only replayed later tonight, and only live on the Fox Deportes (spanish) channel. Are you planning on watching it live on the spanish channel or is there an english live broadcast on American TV?

Yes, there’s a live English broadcast – it’s being carried on the main Fox broadcast channel nationally.

you mean the local Fox channel, not FSC? the TV guide could be wrong, but it isn’t listing a live telecast on the local fox channel or FSC, only on the spanish fox channel.

Should be a very interesting match!
Hope it does not turn in to a diving/flopping contest.
Head ref has the hardest assignment on the pitch!!

Live at 2:00 p.m. Channel 7 Comcast in Pgh

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:2429”]Should be a very interesting match!
Hope it does not turn in to a diving/flopping contest.
Head ref has the hardest assignment on the pitch!!

Live at 2:00 p.m. Channel 7 Comcast in Pgh[/quote]

Yeah the head referee does have the hardest assignment on the pitch tundra. i’m watching the preview show now on FSC. It is the referee’s responsibility to judge any dives or flops that occur. it is a part of the game. the referee can choose to call a dive or flop, call a foul, or make no call. Messi sees football as a simple game. He never thinks about what he is going to do before the match. He feels the moment game to game and does what he feels is right on the pitch. He plays and fights for Barcelona. He gives it his all and doesn’t like to lose. Rooney doesn’t like to lose either, in this match i’ll look at possession % to see who will have more scoring chance opportunities. Will Messi or Rooney have more impact on the game? Rooney would like to have another bicycle kick goal, but could be hard against Barcelona. Barcelona likes to play the game at their own pace possessing the ball and creating opportunities. Man U may try quick counter attacks to push the ball up the pitch if they can defend Barcelona.

I’ll be tuning in. Tottenham & Red Bulls fan here.

I liked Michael Strahan’s comparison between American football and soccer especially when he said that in American football you can get penalized for a celebration, and in soccer look what they can do!

The English Premier League broke an all-time scoring record 2.8 goals a game this season. Soccer only celebrate goals. Goals are not common. Some American football games have dancing and celebrating after every play. SO much so that I have pretty much stopped watching American football except for PSU games. Also soccer does penalize for excessive celebration via yellow cards!
I’m finding this Fox pregame PAINFUL! Kind of soccer 101 for an non-soccer audience.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:8, topic:2429"]I liked Michael Strahan's comparison between American football and soccer especially when he said that in American football you can get penalized for a celebration, and in soccer look what they can do![/quote]

The English Premier League broke an all-time scoring record 2.8 goals a game this season. Soccer only celebrate goals. Goals are not common. Some American football games have dancing and celebrating after every play. SO much so that I have pretty much stopped watching American football except for PSU games.

Well i basically stopped watching American football except for PSU games too, but a different reasons. I, like you, don’t like to see showboating, but i believe it is a coaching philosophy to decide whether to allow showboating or not, and i don’t believe that it should penalized. This coming year, did you hear, they will take touchdowns away for showboating. that’s just wrong and the reason why i don’t watch American football that much anymore.

Also soccer does penalize for excessive celebration via yellow cards! I'm finding this Fox pregame PAINFUL! Kind of soccer 101 for an non-soccer audience.

Yes but even that system of giving an occasional yellow card is not worse than taking points off the board. I like how soccer hasn’t lost it’s sense of jubilation when a score is made, unlike American football which in many ways has lost that sense of jubilation, and i think we’ll see if even more next year.

The fox pregame definitely had a soccer 101 kind of feel for the non-soccer audience. i found that funny, but i didn’t think it was too painful.

ROOOOOOOOOOONNNNEEEYYYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Great entertaining first half on a dry fast pitch! The ref was done a great job. Barco has tempted him with 6-7 dives but he has keep the action flowing.
I can’t remember any ManU player going to the ground looking for a foul.
For the record, I do NOT have a horse in this race. I am a Liverpool fan. I usually favor English teams but MANURE are a hated rival!

What a game this is. After the abomination of a final that was Netherlands/Spain last summer, this game is making up for it. No dirty challenges, clean intentions, and no diving. I’m rooting for United just because I love the Premier League. However, Barcelona just make it look so easy at times, and it’s hard to see them not scoring in the second half.

Great first half. Felt like the fastest half of football I’ve seen all year - extremely high level of skill.

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:2429”]Great entertaining first half on a dry fast pitch! The ref was done a great job. Barco has tempted him with 6-7 dives but he has keep the action flowing.
I can’t remember any ManU player going to the ground looking for a foul.
For the record, I do NOT have a horse in this race. I am a Liverpool fan. I usually favor English teams but MANURE are a hated rival![/quote]

Victor Kassai is one of the best around, maybe the best right now. Although, I think Rooney’s goal had a hint of offside from Giggs (which isn’t Kassai’s fault), but still. It’s been an enthralling encounter. I am hoping for more of the same!

Average position for the players on both sides (OptaJoe on Twitter):

http://twitpic.com/53sslu

In the picture I posted, notice how compact United are. Also, it’s interesting to note a potential spot United can exploit in the 2nd half, HUGE gap in between Pique and Abidal. I’d say Nani coming on for Valencia, and moving him INSIDE Abidal’s wide position would be a way for United to get the winner here.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:17, topic:2429”]Average position for the players on both sides (OptaJoe on Twitter):

http://twitpic.com/53sslu[/quote]

Very cool! Yes i noticed that United were very compact from the diagram. Alves and Abidal on the wings makes it so Barcelona can pass laterally and use space to keep possessions alive. On to the 2nd half…

Very good match. Best team won. The ref keep good control.
Feel a little bad for Van Der Sal. His positioning was not very good in the first 2 goals. He showed his age today…BUT Barco makes everyone look a little slow. Still he has had a great career!!