PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Central PA Driving Directions

All,

I am traveling from State College to Carlisle later this week and needed some advice on the best route to take. I have traveled 322 between State College and Harrisburg more times than I care to count but never directly to Carlisle. Looking at a map it seems that I could turn off 322 at Newport and take 34 into Carlisle. Is this the best way? Does anyone have a different route that they prefer.

Thanks in advance
JWP

[quote=“jiddywop, post:1, topic:2662”]All,

I am traveling from State College to Carlisle later this week and needed some advice on the best route to take. I have traveled 322 between State College and Harrisburg more times than I care to count but never directly to Carlisle. Looking at a map it seems that I could turn off 322 at Newport and take 34 into Carlisle. Is this the best way? Does anyone have a different route that they prefer.

Thanks in advance
JWP[/quote]

That depends where in Carlisle you are going. 34 is a good option if you are heading into town. We lived on the southwest side of town my last two years of school, and I’d get off at Port Royal and take 75 to 74 to Carlisle. Those are really your only two choices.

I am headed to the War College

JWP

Take 34 then. Do you know how to get to the War College? And do you know which gate to enter (I know the main gate used to be closed and you could only enter through the rear gate)?

I’m partial to staying on 322 all the way to 81 and then head south. 4 lanes the whole way. Should take about 1:45 going that way.

Depending on the time of day your travelling - if you get on 34 behind a couple of school busses your trip time could be severely lengthened. Few opportunities to pass.

[quote=“BubblingLion, post:5, topic:2662”]I’m partial to staying on 322 all the way to 81 and then head south. 4 lanes the whole way. Should take about 1:45 going that way.

Depending on the time of day your travelling - if you get on 34 behind a couple of school busses your trip time could be severely lengthened. Few opportunities to pass.[/quote]

That’s going all the way to Harrisburg. I wouldn’t do that. 34 takes you to within about a mile of the War College.

[quote=“BubblingLion, post:5, topic:2662”]I’m partial to staying on 322 all the way to 81 and then head south. 4 lanes the whole way. Should take about 1:45 going that way.

Depending on the time of day your travelling - if you get on 34 behind a couple of school busses your trip time could be severely lengthened. Few opportunities to pass.[/quote]

81 is a work zone right now and depending upon the time of day it gets hairy. Just check the roads that may be closed due to last week’s storms. There are still a couple that are closed.

Roads won’t be closed…anything west of Harrisburg was fine last Friday.

Take 34. Trust me. I did it 100 times. It will take a lot longer to go to Harrisburg and back to Carlisle. Look at the map.

I’m a scenic route dude and would take 75/74 from Port Royal up and over several mountains…but that’s just me.

That’s a beautiful drive. But it takes you to a different part of town. 34 is easier, 74 is nicer.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:2662"]I'm a scenic route dude and would take 75/74 from Port Royal up and over several mountains...but that's just me.[/quote]

That’s a beautiful drive. But it takes you to a different part of town. 34 is easier, 74 is nicer.

It’s just the Tour de France in me. I see a mountain, I’ll go up, over and through it, rather than look for an easy way around it.

I biked over Rt 74 as a kid. Well, I should say, I walked my bike up Rt 74. :stuck_out_tongue:

The view at the top was awesome as was the ride back down the other side.

OK - we’re all dying to know - which route did you take? :smiley: