OT - Carlino decommits from IU

After committing, the kid moved from AZ to Bloomington for his junior season. Reports are he will head back to AZ after he cut ties with IU. I remember somebody on here talking about him in the Taran moving thread.

Wow it looks like Crean is going to have a harder time turning it around at IU than I had thought. I figured with what he did at Marquette and with IU’s cache he would have that program back to kicking tail and taking names in no time. Looks like Sampson really screwed the program there pretty bad.

Sampson has no role in Crean’s present recruiting. He can’t be an excuse “forever.”

Carlino wasn’t that good. Honestly. He was probably only the third best player on his own team, which was pretty good since Bloomington South was the defending state champion and has a post player headed to Butler and a point guard headed to Xavier. Still, he’s an athletic wing player without a great jump shot…something Crean has accumulated about 24 of in Bloomington.

Some of the locals are already getting a little restless with Crean. He came in saying the Sampson mess wasn’t going to be an excuse. But, he still refers to the program starting over about every other press conference. It reminds me of how Ben Roethlisberger always seems to remind you he’s hurt, but says it’s not an excuse. If it’s not a big deal, then why do you keep bringing it up? Right?

Matters aren’t being helped in Indiana right now as Purdue is playing its best basketball in 15 years using nearly exclusively Indiana kids. Meanwhile, Butler is considered a mid-major, but we all know what they’re doing. Being behind Purdue is bad enough, but now IU fans have to watch another Indiana college advance deep into the tournament.

Complicating things for Crean is the fact that he’s not winning in-state recruiting battles. Part of his appeal when he arrived was that he had done such a great job in getting Richmond, Indiana PG Dominic James to spurn all the in-state schools to go to Marquette. The sentiment was that he’d be able to do even better now that he was promising playing time in Bloomington. It hasn’t translated yet. He got Jordan Hulls, who grew up in the shadows of Assembly Hall and Derek Elston, who commited when Sampson was still there. That’s it.

It’s that zero-sum game again… Purdue had a 2 year head start, MSU and OSU have the recruits on an assembly line coming through the door, Minny and Illini are staying competitive, Michigan has another high-profile coach. It’s tough to crack that list… For evey win Crean picks up, it has to come from these guys to really make progress.

We said about 2-3 years ago that there seemed to really be a log-jam of top coaches in the conference and that they weren’t al going to succeed… there’s only so many wins to go around.

Lickliter was the first to go… It will be very interesting to see how many more drop in the next 2 years.

[quote=“MarkH, post:5, topic:1050”]It’s that zero-sum game again… Purdue had a 2 year head start, MSU and OSU have the recruits on an assembly line coming through the door, Minny and Illini are staying competitive, Michigan has another high-profile coach. It’s tough to crack that list… For evey win Crean picks up, it has to come from these guys to really make progress.

We said about 2-3 years ago that there seemed to really be a log-jam of top coaches in the conference and that they weren’t al going to succeed… there’s only so many wins to go around.

Lickliter was the first to go… It will be very interesting to see how many more drop in the next 2 years.[/quote]

You have to give Crean at least 8 years to rebuild, don’t you? ;D

A somewhat interesting note from yesterday’s Indiana boys State Finals.

Among the college coaches there front and center were Matt Painter (who was there at 11 a.m. after Purdue’s game ended the night before in Houston well after midnight), Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith and Roy Williams. All of those guys were front and center. I never did see Tom Crean, though read on a different message board that he was in attendance, tucked away in a suite.

IU fans are fickle, not to the level of Kentucky psychoness, but fickle. If Crean keeps losing, and keeps losing with out-of-state kids while Purdue wins with almost all Indiana kids, it could get a little hot for Crean, no matter how big and long that contract is.

[quote=“PSUQuaker, post:7, topic:1050”]A somewhat interesting note from yesterday’s Indiana boys State Finals.

Among the college coaches there front and center were Matt Painter (who was there at 11 a.m. after Purdue’s game ended the night before in Houston well after midnight), Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith and Roy Williams. All of those guys were front and center. I never did see Tom Crean, though read on a different message board that he was in attendance, tucked away in a suite.[/quote]

This sounds like last night at the PIAA finals.

Dunphy and Martelli were together, front and center, while DeChellis was tucked up far away in one of the boxes.

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:7, topic:1050"]A somewhat interesting note from yesterday's Indiana boys State Finals.

Among the college coaches there front and center were Matt Painter (who was there at 11 a.m. after Purdue’s game ended the night before in Houston well after midnight), Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith and Roy Williams. All of those guys were front and center. I never did see Tom Crean, though read on a different message board that he was in attendance, tucked away in a suite.[/quote]

This sounds like last night at the PIAA finals.

Dunphy and Martelli were together, front and center, while DeChellis was tucked up far away in one of the boxes.

In fairness to ED, it is his home gym, so I’m sure he has a lot more “host” duties to do whereas Martelli and Dunphy are purely “ticket-buying public” spectators, more or less.