PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Bye, bye cable?

Recently, we put a new roof on our house. While doing it, we had the DirectTV off for a week or so as the dish is on the roof. Through the internet, we watched the World Series, which costs $10 for all post-season games. Interestingly, it’s the same broadcast as TV, but you have to be the director, so if you’re watching home plate from the pitcher’s mound, and the batter hits one to the outfield, you have to switch cameras to see the ball, and you can’t do it quickly enough. There’s a dugout shot, so if you wanted to steal signs, you could keep it on one dugout the entire game. Anyway, watching from behind home plate you see everything, and zero commercials as the screen just goes goes graphic. It’s sorta like being at the game where you’re in one seat. We actually considered removing DirectTV. If I could get all PSU basketball games without DirectTV, I’d do it. Streaming and downloading has gotten so good, and I watch very little TV shows, other than Dexter, which I stream, and can attach HDMI cable to my flatscreen if I want large view or others are watching. Does anyone know if you can get PSU games without DirectTV? I’d be more than willing to pay for it, like $50 per season. DirectTV is $700+ per year. My wife watches food shows, but they’re on the net. Can’t stop her doing that, the food she makes is too good. :wink:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cable-subscribers-flee-but-is-apf-3875814716.html?x=0

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1451”]Recently, we put a new roof on our house. While doing it, we had the DirectTV off for a week or so as the dish is on the roof. Through the internet, we watched the World Series, which costs $10 for all post-season games. Interestingly, it’s the same broadcast as TV, but you have to be the director, so if you’re watching home plate from the pitcher’s mound, and the batter hits one to the outfield, you have to switch cameras to see the ball, and you can’t do it quickly enough. There’s a dugout shot, so if you wanted to steal signs, you could keep it on one dugout the entire game. Anyway, watching from behind home plate you see everything, and zero commercials as the screen just goes goes graphic. It’s sorta like being at the game where you’re in one seat. We actually considered removing DirectTV. If I could get all PSU basketball games without DirectTV, I’d do it. Streaming and downloading has gotten so good, and I watch very little TV shows, other than Dexter, which I stream, and can attach HDMI cable to my flatscreen if I want large view or others are watching. Does anyone know if you can get PSU games without DirectTV? I’d be more than willing to pay for it, like $50 per season. DirectTV is $700+ per year. My wife watches food shows, but they’re on the net. Can’t stop her doing that, the food she makes is too good. :wink:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cable-subscribers-flee-but-is-apf-3875814716.html?x=0[/quote]

The one thing that that cable still has going for it is live sports. You can find most television programs somewhere on the net, albeit often delayed a few days. Sports on the other hand are a different story. While some progressive organizations, think major league baseball for example, will stream their product live over the net, most do not. As far as B10 basketball goes, you’ll only get a handful on non-conference games that will be live streamed via bigtennetwork.com. When it comes to conference games, ESPN3.com (available if you have the right cable provider) might show a couple (typically those that are being carried by ESPN) but you will still miss out on most of them.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1451"]Recently, we put a new roof on our house. While doing it, we had the DirectTV off for a week or so as the dish is on the roof. Through the internet, we watched the World Series, which costs $10 for all post-season games. Interestingly, it's the same broadcast as TV, but you have to be the director, so if you're watching home plate from the pitcher's mound, and the batter hits one to the outfield, you have to switch cameras to see the ball, and you can't do it quickly enough. There's a dugout shot, so if you wanted to steal signs, you could keep it on one dugout the entire game. Anyway, watching from behind home plate you see everything, and zero commercials as the screen just goes goes graphic. It's sorta like being at the game where you're in one seat. We actually considered removing DirectTV. If I could get all PSU basketball games without DirectTV, I'd do it. Streaming and downloading has gotten so good, and I watch very little TV shows, other than Dexter, which I stream, and can attach HDMI cable to my flatscreen if I want large view or others are watching. Does anyone know if you can get PSU games without DirectTV? I'd be more than willing to pay for it, like $50 per season. DirectTV is $700+ per year. My wife watches food shows, but they're on the net. Can't stop her doing that, the food she makes is too good. ;)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cable-subscribers-flee-but-is-apf-3875814716.html?x=0[/quote]

The one thing that that cable still has going for it is live sports. You can find most television programs somewhere on the net, albeit often delayed a few days. Sports on the other hand are a different story. While some progressive organizations, think major league baseball for example, will stream their product live over the net, most do not. As far as B10 basketball goes, you’ll only get a handful on non-conference games that will be live streamed via bigtennetwork.com. When it comes to conference games, ESPN3.com (available if you have the right cable provider) might show a couple (typically those that are being carried by ESPN) but you will still miss out on most of them.

That’s what I figured and why I kept it. Thanks. I’m basically paying $700 for PSU basketball. :wink: Seems like the Big 10 should stream the games as well, as not everyone has DirectTV, though I guess more cable companies are carrying it. But why wouldn’t TV games be also streamed for a fee like MLB, for alums who can’t get it on TV, like maybe those overseas? No need for extra cameramen.

On MLB, it’s kind of funny. When the girl sang, “America the Beautiful” in the 7th, I didn’t change my view from behind home plate, but Fox was evidently using shot by a cameraman with a handheld, who was about 3’ from the singer, and he walked around her near home plate. It was kind of funny, watching this guy in jeans do a kind of dance around the singer, lowering and raising his handheld, circling her for the whole song. Wasn’t meant to be seen by viewers. In short, guess I was a bad director in not changing the camera, but it was more fun this way.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1451"]Recently, we put a new roof on our house. While doing it, we had the DirectTV off for a week or so as the dish is on the roof. Through the internet, we watched the World Series, which costs $10 for all post-season games. Interestingly, it's the same broadcast as TV, but you have to be the director, so if you're watching home plate from the pitcher's mound, and the batter hits one to the outfield, you have to switch cameras to see the ball, and you can't do it quickly enough. There's a dugout shot, so if you wanted to steal signs, you could keep it on one dugout the entire game. Anyway, watching from behind home plate you see everything, and zero commercials as the screen just goes goes graphic. It's sorta like being at the game where you're in one seat. We actually considered removing DirectTV. If I could get all PSU basketball games without DirectTV, I'd do it. Streaming and downloading has gotten so good, and I watch very little TV shows, other than Dexter, which I stream, and can attach HDMI cable to my flatscreen if I want large view or others are watching. Does anyone know if you can get PSU games without DirectTV? I'd be more than willing to pay for it, like $50 per season. DirectTV is $700+ per year. My wife watches food shows, but they're on the net. Can't stop her doing that, the food she makes is too good. ;)

That’s what I figured and why I kept it. Thanks. I’m basically paying $700 for PSU basketball. :wink: Seems like the Big 10 should stream the games as well, as not everyone has DirectTV, though I guess more cable companies are carrying it. But why wouldn’t TV games be also streamed for a fee like MLB, for alums who can’t get it on TV, like maybe those overseas? No need for extra cameramen.

On MLB, it’s kind of funny. When the girl sang, “America the Beautiful” in the 7th, I didn’t change my view from behind home plate, but Fox was evidently using shot by a cameraman with a handheld, who was about 3’ from the singer, and he walked around her near home plate. It was kind of funny, watching this guy in jeans do a kind of dance around the singer, lowering and raising his handheld, circling her for the whole song. Wasn’t meant to be seen by viewers. In short, guess I was a bad director in not changing the camera, but it was more fun this way.

You make it sound like the only way to get the BTN is through DirecTV. The reality is that most of the top cable companies have the network (19 of the top 20 and over 300 cable companies in total). That means there are a lot more people watching it over cable than from satellite.

BTW - the network is streamed overseas.

First off - ESPN3.com is available to everyone, I believe. It’s not like how ESPN360.com was, were your ISP has to subscribe to it.

Secondly - it’s not a very reliable source, but you can usually find a stream (albeit, an illegal stream) of any PSU game somewhere online (usually through Justin.tv or an affiliate). Another site I like for online TV is www.channelsurfing.net. They carry a lot of sports broadcasts as well. I wouldn’t even say that cable has live sports going for it - I’ve never been unable to watch a live stream of a PSU hoops game online when I wanted to.

Any game broadcast by CBS, ABC, NBC, TBS, etc. will be covered on channelsurfing.net

Wired had a pretty good feature a few months back with all the options for your TV setup that didn’t include a subscription to one of the major providers, and the money you could save by doing so.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_howto_watchtv/

click thru, there’s like 5 or so pages of it.

Cable and SATTV are going to have to change to accommodate what can be streamed over the net. You’re probably the same as we are – you watch 10 - 12 stations max and you’re paying for 100.

[quote=“State4Life, post:5, topic:1451”]First off - ESPN3.com is available to everyone, I believe. It’s not like how ESPN360.com was, were your ISP has to subscribe to it.

Secondly - it’s not a very reliable source, but you can usually find a stream (albeit, an illegal stream) of any PSU game somewhere online (usually through Justin.tv or an affiliate). Another site I like for online TV is www.channelsurfing.net. They carry a lot of sports broadcasts as well. I wouldn’t even say that cable has live sports going for it - I’ve never been unable to watch a live stream of a PSU hoops game online when I wanted to.

Any game broadcast by CBS, ABC, NBC, TBS, etc. will be covered on channelsurfing.net[/quote]

Every PSU game live? Really. Hmmm…I tried the justintv for one game awhile back. Can’t remember what happened, but I think it was okay. Probably two years ago. I still have DirectTV, but will look to see if I can get a season’s game on when it’s on the BTN.

Nope. It’s just like ESPN.360.

FAQs.

[i]How do I get access to ESPN3?

ESPN3 is available nationwide, but you must subscribe to a participating high speed internet service provider.
[/i]

[quote=“State4Life, post:5, topic:1451”]Secondly - it’s not a very reliable source, but you can usually find a stream (albeit, an illegal stream) of any PSU game somewhere online (usually through Justin.tv or an affiliate). Another site I like for online TV is www.channelsurfing.net. They carry a lot of sports broadcasts as well. I wouldn’t even say that cable has live sports going for it - I’ve never been unable to watch a live stream of a PSU hoops game online when I wanted to.

Any game broadcast by CBS, ABC, NBC, TBS, etc. will be covered on channelsurfing.net[/quote]

That’s true. I was only thinking about the ways to legally watch the games.