PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Butkus

Caught a bit of the Big Ten Icons show on Dick Butkus and what struck me was how Butkus was markedly larger than everyone on both sides of the ball when he played at Illinois in 62, 63 and 64. I mean WAY bigger. He looked like one of those kids in pee wee ball who already has a mustache.

Meant to see that but missed it. It brings up a trivia question. Sports Illustrated, some years back, picked who they thought were the 2 best offensive and 2 best defensive college football players in the 60’s. Butkus is one. Name the other 3. Hint: one of the other 3 played in the Big 10.

Here’s another trivia question I heard. Name the 3 QB’s who started a Super Bowl game who are now deceased.

Caught a bit of the Big Ten Icons show on Dick Butkus and what struck me was how Butkus was markedly larger than everyone on both sides of the ball when he played at Illinois in 62, 63 and 64. I mean WAY bigger. He looked like one of those kids in pee wee ball who already has a mustache.

Meant to see that but missed it. It brings up a trivia question. Sports Illustrated, some years back, picked who they thought were the 2 best offensive and 2 best defensive college football players in the 60’s. Butkus is one. Name the other 3. Hint: one of the other 3 played in the Big 10.

Bubba Smith would get my vote (he’s also someone who towered over other players). For offense, Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson.

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:1879"]Caught a bit of the Big Ten Icons show on Dick Butkus and what struck me was how Butkus was markedly larger than everyone on both sides of the ball when he played at Illinois in 62, 63 and 64. I mean WAY bigger. He looked like one of those kids in pee wee ball who already has a mustache.[/quote]

Bubba Smith would get my vote (he’s also someone who towered over other players). For offense, Gale Sayers and OJ Simpson.

OJ’s correct. On the others, while not correct, one of them was a teammate of another of the 4.

Roger Staubach would get my vote on offense.

[quote="tjb, post:1, topic:1879"]Caught a bit of the Big Ten Icons show on Dick Butkus and what struck me was how Butkus was markedly larger than everyone on both sides of the ball when he played at Illinois in 62, 63 and 64. I mean WAY bigger. He looked like one of those kids in pee wee ball who already has a mustache.[/quote]

OJ’s correct. On the others, while not correct, one of them was a teammate of another of the 4.

Gale Sayers’ potential teammates would be John Hadl or John Riggins.
Bubba Smith’s potential teammate would be George Webster.

I just can’t see Riggins or Hadl getting picked over Sayers, so the answer must be George Webster.

Staubach and Webster correct! Congrats, guys. FYI, looked it up at wikipedia and Webster had 15 tackles in his first pro game, averaging 10 a game for the season. That’s unreal.

Michigan State had an unbelievable team when Smith and Webster played for them. Four of the top eight draft picks in 1967 were Spartans. Bubba was #1, WR Clint Jones #2, Webster #5, and Gene Washington #8.

Len Dawson, Johnny Unitas and Don Merideth…QB’s no longer with us who started a super bowl…

Unitas correct. Not the other two, who were more recent.

Staubach went to NAPS. Anyone know what that is?

Naval Academy acronym? BTW, on the pro question, one of the QB’s is the youngest QB to ever start a Super Bowl, and is sandwiched on his team between two HOF QB’s, one who does an NFL Sunday show. The other QB was murdered.

Staubach went to NAPS. Anyone know what that is?

Naval Academy acronym? BTW, on the pro question, one of the QB’s is the youngest QB to ever start a Super Bowl, and is sandwiched on his team between two HOF QB’s, one who does an NFL Sunday show. The other QB was murdered.

Naval Academy Prep School.

Okay, time’s up.

Steve McNair and
David Woodley, whose life also ended badly at age 44 in 2003. Wow, a liver transplant at age 33. That’s awfully young. Dan Marino beat him out for the starting spot in '83 after Woodley’s Super Bowl appearance in '82.

After football, Woodley increasingly drank, causing several health problems. Woodley underwent a liver transplant in Shreveport in 1992. On May, 4 2003 Woodley died from complications due to kidney and liver failure.

Naval Academy Prep School is correct. Used to be in Bainbridge, MD. Now located at Newport, RI. USNA sent a lot of athletes there (and still does) in order to get their grades up.

Roger actually played a couple years of basketball at USNA.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:15, topic:1879”]Naval Academy Prep School is correct. Used to be in Bainbridge, MD. Now located at Newport, RI. USNA sent a lot of athletes there (and still does) in order to get their grades up.

Roger actually played a couple years of basketball at USNA.[/quote]

I know a guy whose son went there a couple of years ago to wrestle. Don’t know if he made it to Annapolis or not.

EDIT: I do now. He’s on the Navy roster so he obviously did.

USNA uses NAPS as more or less a redshirt year since USNA rarely allows a middie to graduate in more than four years. There are exceptions if a middie is injured or gets sick and misses a lot of time.

They’re running the Butkus story again on BTN right now.

Even in the NFL in the 60s Butkus appears to be the strongest and toughest (by far) player on the field!!

Of course this was before the 350+ pound O-Linemen.