PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Bolden to transfer

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/545774.html

Darryl Clark said on Twitter, he was going to talk to him. Then said it was too late to talk to him, the decision’s already been made.

Cruddy weekend to be a PSU fan.
I certainly don’t agree with how the QB situation was handled and I feel that program could be starting to crumble.
I also don’t like how Bolden handled it either. If you aren’t willing to compete, then go ahead and transfer. From the articles I’ve read, it reeks of helicopter parenting as well.

Sounds final, but hope someone can talk him out of it :frowning:

Sure seems he wasn’t allowed to compete.

Wow. The QB situation is different than any other position. I would guess (especially after his great start and like MANY other kids) Bolden has NFL millions in his mind. This is not a bad thing and is human nature. PSU played one QB at the time this season. It puts the back-ups in a tough situation.
With out being a close insider and knowing the personalities of the kids and seeing how everything was handled by the coaches I’m at a loss for an opinion.

I thought coming into the year Jones was better and I sure hope I am right because McGloin is terrible.

With Newsome also likely to transfer, we have gone from a QB logjam to a depth issue.

Do we take away the scholarship offer we made to his high school WR?

[quote=“Saints23, post:3, topic:1719”]Cruddy weekend to be a PSU fan.
I certainly don’t agree with how the QB situation was handled and I feel that program could be starting to crumble.
I also don’t like how Bolden handled it either. If you aren’t willing to compete, then go ahead and transfer. From the articles I’ve read, it reeks of helicopter parenting as well.[/quote]

I certainly understand the thought that if you aren’t going to get a chance to play with McGloin playing that bad, you are never going to get a chance to play.

[quote="Saints23, post:3, topic:1719"]Cruddy weekend to be a PSU fan. I certainly don't agree with how the QB situation was handled and I feel that program could be starting to crumble. I also don't like how Bolden handled it either. If you aren't willing to compete, then go ahead and transfer. From the articles I've read, it reeks of helicopter parenting as well.[/quote]

I certainly understand the thought that if you aren’t going to get a chance to play with McGloin playing that bad, you are never going to get a chance to play.

I do agree with that. Like I said, I don’t agree with how that was handled. I was waiting for him to get in after McGloin’s 2nd or 3rd pick.
I just don’t like the idea of tucking tail here. If you think you’re the best man for the job then win it again.

[quote="Saints23, post:3, topic:1719"]Cruddy weekend to be a PSU fan. I certainly don't agree with how the QB situation was handled and I feel that program could be starting to crumble. I also don't like how Bolden handled it either. If you aren't willing to compete, then go ahead and transfer. From the articles I've read, it reeks of helicopter parenting as well.[/quote]

I do agree with that. Like I said, I don’t agree with how that was handled. I was waiting for him to get in after McGloin’s 2nd or 3rd pick.
I just don’t like the idea of tucking tail here. If you think you’re the best man for the job then win it again.

He spent all summer winning it. He’s looking at having to compete with several guys for the position his entire career, and after seeing the coaching staff’s willingness to replace him over essentially nothing of his own doing… I can completely understand why he would transfer. He’s been misled.

I also would not be surprised if he was disappointed with the coaching he’s received in developing as a QB. I rarely see our QB’s improve as passers from year 1 to 4 - maybe he feels like he made a mistake coming here after seeing how things are run from the inside. Maybe it has less to do with the minutes situation than we realize, and more to do with just poor handling of him on a number of levels. I’m just throwing it out there, I have no real evidence to prove any of this but I think there’s more that goes into this decision (generally) than simply playing time. I could easily see him feeling a mixture of emotions right now, including betrayal and distrust for starters.

WOW !!! There sure is a LOT of speculation about this !!!

No allowed to compete? Where do you guys come up with this stuff !!!?!?!

I can tell you that early on, the offense look really bad. When McGloin came in, the offense sparked.

It’s nothing bad about Bolden, he was a true freshman, completely new to the program with a limited number of snaps in the summer.

That being said, I don’t know why he would leave. Once he had a full off-season in the program, I don’t see why he would think that he could not be the man under center next year.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:11, topic:1719”]WOW !!! There sure is a LOT of speculation about this !!!

I can tell you that early on, the offense look really bad. When McGloin came in, the offense sparked.It’s nothing bad about Bolden, he was a true freshman, completely new to the program with a limited number of snaps in the summer.

That being said, I don’t know why he would leave. Once he had a full off-season in the program, I don’t see why he would think that he could not be the man under center next year.[/quote]against some pretty crappy D’s

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:1719"]WOW !!! There sure is a LOT of speculation about this !!!

I can tell you that early on, the offense look really bad. When McGloin came in, the offense sparked.It’s nothing bad about Bolden, he was a true freshman, completely new to the program with a limited number of snaps in the summer.

That being said, I don’t know why he would leave. Once he had a full off-season in the program, I don’t see why he would think that he could not be the man under center next year.[/quote]against some pretty crappy D’s

You are splitting hairs.

Which defenses were worse, the ones McGloin faced (Minn, Mich, NWster) or the ones Bolden faced (Y St, Temple, Kent St)

The MOST poinst scored under Bolden against a D-I team was 24, McGlin score 33+ points in 4 of 6 games.

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:1719”]Wow. The QB situation is different than any other position. I would guess (especially after his great start and like MANY other kids) Bolden has NFL millions in his mind. This is not a bad thing and is human nature. PSU played one QB at the time this season. It puts the back-ups in a tough situation.
With out being a close insider and knowing the personalities of the kids and seeing how everything was handled by the coaches I’m at a loss for an opinion.[/quote]

You are unreal. He is a nice kid and wasn’t treated fairly. There was a terrible double standard and he isn’t Joe’s guy. I wish him the best.

Also we didn’t play one QB at a time! Look at how many games he was pulled. Why the need to bash the kid? Just like people bashing Pat when he left. If you could leave your job for something better wouldn’t you?

[quote="Skeeza, post:11, topic:1719"]WOW !!! There sure is a LOT of speculation about this !!!

You are splitting hairs.

Which defenses were worse, the ones McGloin faced (Minn, Mich, NWster) or the ones Bolden faced (Y St, Temple, Kent St)

The MOST poinst scored under Bolden against a D-I team was 24, McGlin score 33+ points in 4 of 6 games.

He does move the offense better, but it doesn’t matter when about 1 in 5 passes go to the other team. The line also was playing better late which distorts how big the difference is.

McGloin threw 9 INTs in 215 passing attempts. Bolden threw 7 in 193 passing attempts.

You are splitting hairs.

He does move the offense better, but it doesn’t matter when about 1 in 5 passes go to the other team. The line also was playing better late which distorts how big the difference is.

You’re really letting those picks the other day cloud your judgement. If he had 9 this season, that means he only had 4 coming into that game - hardly a guy with an interception problem, he just had a rough day (and still had us driving to win the game before his 4th pick, and the 5th one was meaningless). Not sure where somebody gets off bashing McGloin after what he’s done this season.

Kent (11ypg/43ppg) and Temple (16ypg/15ppg)are both ranked ahead of MSU(44/39), Minn(76/98), NW(97/77), Mich(111/108), and Ind(90/102). YSU isn’t ranked since they are IAA.

You are splitting hairs.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1719"]Wow. The QB situation is different than any other position. I would guess (especially after his great start and like MANY other kids) Bolden has NFL millions in his mind. This is not a bad thing and is human nature. PSU played one QB at the time this season. It puts the back-ups in a tough situation. With out being a close insider and knowing the personalities of the kids and seeing how everything was handled by the coaches I'm at a loss for an opinion.[/quote]

You are unreal. He is a nice kid and wasn’t treated fairly. There was a terrible double standard and he isn’t Joe’s guy. I wish him the best.

Also we didn’t play one QB at a time! Look at how many games he was pulled. Why the need to bash the kid? Just like people bashing Pat when he left. If you could leave your job for something better wouldn’t you?

You are right, Bolden is a good kid. I wish him the best.

My only question is why he is leaving.

Like I said, he had some rough starts, but that was to be expected with his amount of experience. Why is he leaving now?

He only arrived over the summer. He was maybe getting 1/4 of the 1st team snaps at practice. Then, he was named starter with about 2 weeks remaining until the opener. That’s not a lot of time under center.

You don’t get time to really improve through the season. Nobody does. The 5 days between games is spent preparing for your next opponent, not improving fundamentals or learning the playbook. That stuff is for the off-season. That’s what Bolden missed, and it showed during the season.

That’s why I dont understand why he is leaving now. The fact that he started so early is a sign that the coaches WANT to play him. Give him some time to develope, and I think the coaches WILL play him.

Seriously HOW do we know Bolden was a nice kid or not? Answer is we don’t. Us fans don’t know the kids personalities. I know most fans assume all the kids are saints until proven many times other wise. Nothing wrong with this thinking except it’s not realistic. Unless you have meet the kids and spent time with them how can you know their personalities.