OT:Bobby Knight Telling It Like It Is

I’m not really a Bobby Knight fan, but re the dirt in college basketball, he’s right on, IMO. With the thread about Findlay, thought this deserved its own thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4752725

Too bad with “the General” you get the really bad with the really good.

I always admired that fact that he was a zealot about integrity in the game.

The General is spot on…Teams like PSU that try to do things the right way have no chance in today’s college basketball landscape. Calipari is feasting on the one and done type players that PSU would never touch. I’d start by getting rid of that assinine rule. This was created because David Stern thought the NBA was perceived as a “thug” league. If these kids want to go out of of high school, let em’ go. I’m glad someone had the balls to tell it it like is. It makes me mad that all the ESPN talking heads say how good Calipari is, but fail to say anything about how corrupt his programs have been.

David Stern is a paid “mouth piece” for the owners. I never believe a word out of his mouth.

Come on now. I’m as much of a homer as the next guy, but even I couldn’t convince myself that this statement is true. Are you saying that PSu wouldn’t have taken Rose (Memphis) or any of Kentucky’s current 4 freshmen? :-X

Good or bad, the reality over the history of this program has been that these ultra-elite players would never touch PSU, not necessarily the other way around.

Some of that is because of the “game” you have to play just to get access to these kids… And that’s a game we won’t play, not matter how talented the kid is.

I love listening to him when he calls games, he talks about it like he was in your living room telling you why that was a dumb call or a bad idea, but he does it with a lot of intellect behind it rather than a chair and a shout.lol

I did find it funny how Brent and the Coach at the end of the Butler/Xavier game kept talking about the refs ADDING time on to the clock, when I kept thinking “the clock stopped… they can’t ADD, they need to subtract time”. I guess that’s why they are commentators and not accountants. :smiley:

I thought the same thing at the end of the Memphis vs UConn game. Is the clock supposed to automatically stop after a team scores? I think it does in the NBA, but I thought in college that it kept running unless someone called time out.

[quote="MarkH, post:9, topic:513"]I did find it funny how Brent and the Coach at the end of the Butler/Xavier game kept talking about the refs ADDING time on to the clock, when I kept thinking "the clock stopped... they can't ADD, they need to subtract time". I guess that's why they are commentators and not accountants. :D[/quote]

I thought the same thing at the end of the Memphis vs UConn game. Is the clock supposed to automatically stop after a team scores? I think it does in the NBA, but I thought in college that it kept running unless someone called time out.

I looked it up in the rule book. The clock does stop when an official “Recognizes each successful field goal in the last 59.9 seconds of the
second half or any extra period.”