PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Board of Trustees Interviews

As a public service, The Goon Show as been conducting interviews with the BOT candidates.

You can listen to them here.

Vote John W. Diercks (#37 on ballot) for Penn State Board of Trustees

http://www.johnspennstatefootball.com

[quote=“JD, post:2, topic:3215”]Vote John W. Diercks (#37 on ballot) for Penn State Board of Trustees

http://www.johnspennstatefootball.com[/quote]

I would, but I hate spam, so he’s the first one I crossed off.

Vote John W. Diercks (#37 on ballot) for Penn State Board of Trustees

http://www.johnspennstatefootball.com

I would, but I hate spam, so he’s the first one I crossed off.

JD asked if he could talk about his dad’s candidacy and I did not have a problem with it, for what it’s worth.

The Penn Stater Mag asked three questions of each candidate.

http://pennstatermag.com/bot2012/

Elections start today.

[quote=“Tom, post:5, topic:3215”]The Penn Stater Mag asked three questions of each candidate.

http://pennstatermag.com/bot2012/[/quote]

Thanks, Tom. I have been reading the answers from the 3 questions. Interesting that several candidates were listed as did not respond!!

Other than #37, who we already know, does anyone know, have knowledge of, or have suggestions on who to look at? I’m not going to look at all 86 profiles, so any help shortening my list would be appreciated.

I just voted! :slight_smile: I encourage everybody to do the same.

The Penn Stater Mag asked three questions of each candidate.

http://pennstatermag.com/bot2012/

Thanks, Tom. I have been reading the answers from the 3 questions. Interesting that several candidates were listed as did not respond!!

I read many of the questions too, but couldn’t help thinking how inter-related questions #1 and #2 really were. For as much deliberation as they said they put in to the questions themselves, I thought they could have spread the issues out a little better.

FWIW, #39 (James R. Antoniono) is my brother’s father-in-law. I have met him on several occasions, and he seems to be a stand-up guy.

I’ve always been impressed with interviews with #77, Adam J. Taliaferro, but don’t know him personally.

He didn’t feel the need to answer the Penn Stater Mag questions, so I ruled him out.

I've always been impressed with interviews with #77, Adam J. Taliaferro, but don't know him personally.

He didn’t feel the need to answer the Penn Stater Mag questions, so I ruled him out.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

I think I’ve found a candidate to support: Jayne Miller.

In an email (which she gave me permission to quote), she said that Joe Paterno “was a great football coach and did great things for Penn State. But what is at stake here is far bigger for the future of the University.”

She also said in response to my leading question - and this is what really resonates with me - “I have made it clear that anyone who thinks the Paterno matter is the reason to run for the BOT is badly missing the point of the challenges facing Penn State.”

“I am deeply concerned that the Paterno issue is diverting attention from critical matters of accountability, transparency, and fiscal reform to put Penn State on a more secure path. I am also concerned that it continues to fuel the perception that Penn State doesn’t care about the alleged victims.”

Here’s her reasons for running.

Now I just need two more candidates. :slight_smile:

[quote=“tjb, post:14, topic:3215”]I think I’ve found a candidate to support: Jayne Miller.

In an email (which she gave me permission to quote), she said that Joe Paterno “was a great football coach and did great things for Penn State. But what is at stake here is far bigger for the future of the University.”

She also said in response to my leading question - and this is what really resonates with me - “I have made it clear that anyone who thinks the Paterno matter is the reason to run for the BOT is badly missing the point of the challenges facing Penn State.”

“I am deeply concerned that the Paterno issue is diverting attention from critical matters of accountability, transparency, and fiscal reform to put Penn State on a more secure path. I am also concerned that it continues to fuel the perception that Penn State doesn’t care about the alleged victims.”

Now I just need two more candidates. :)[/quote] Sounds like a winner ;D Def saying all the right things

Anybody have the link for the elections. I’d like to place my vote.

[quote=“tjb, post:14, topic:3215”]I think I’ve found a candidate to support: Jayne Miller.

Now I just need two more candidates. :)[/quote]
TED BROWN # 38 on the ballot is one of the finest candidates. Read about him at brownforpennstate.com

All those campaign statements are nice…but in the end, she’ll basically have no power to enact any of it.

That’s the painfully ironic thing about these elections. All the attention they’re getting, and in the end, it doesn’t result in much more than putting a new air freshener in a car with the intent on that change fixing the engine.

[quote=“Tom, post:18, topic:3215”]All those campaign statements are nice…but in the end, she’ll basically have no power to enact any of it.

That’s the painfully ironic thing about these elections. All the attention they’re getting, and in the end, it doesn’t result in much more than putting a new air freshener in a car with the intent on that change fixing the engine.[/quote]

So true.

A lot is being made of the BoT, but they truly do not have a whole lot to do. The biggest blowup in this whole situation si that they had to get involved with this issue. They never should have been in it to begin with, and in a lop of opinions, they overstepped their boundry.

These guys are supposed to be just a touch more than a figure head.

I agree with the over-promise, over-expectations around impact. I still would rather support someone close to my views.