PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Blue-White game

I am looking forward to the game, which I believe we can see live on BTNtoGo.

I hope for a color analyst with some technical proficiency. Despite my love of football and basketball over decades, my understanding of either is extremely superficial. It would be great to have a Jaworski-type explain the nuances of changes in philosophy and tactics on offense and defense. After all, the out-of-his-league Paterno ran three WR sets, one back and no back, and shotgun. What will be the substantive differences?

On the other hand, I think I can recognize man coverage in secondaries. :slight_smile: even though bend-but-don’t-break might be a more sensible strategy, seeing that would be fun for us and probably for the players.

tjb, check the BTNtogo site. I just checked and I can’t access the game because Comcast if NOT one of their providers!! I’m p*ssed. The old BTN on-line was available to me.
I was going to attend the game BUT my car is in the shop. (was to be finished yesterday!) I can’t win. The Spring Game is my favorite football game of the year!
Oh well, I will watch the game on BTN TV at 8:00 p.m. and listen to the game on radio live.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:3256”]I am looking forward to the game, which I believe we can see live on BTNtoGo.

I hope for a color analyst with some technical proficiency. Despite my love of football and basketball over decades, my understanding of either is extremely superficial. It would be great to have a Jaworski-type explain the nuances of changes in philosophy and tactics on offense and defense. After all, the out-of-his-league Paterno ran three WR sets, one back and no back, and shotgun. What will be the substantive differences?

On the other hand, I think I can recognize man coverage in secondaries. :slight_smile: even though bend-but-don’t-break might be a more sensible strategy, seeing that would be fun for us and probably for the players.[/quote]

Did I read that KiJana Carter will be in the booth? Or is my memory completely shot this morning?

I am looking forward to the game, which I believe we can see live on BTNtoGo.

On the other hand, I think I can recognize man coverage in secondaries. :slight_smile: even though bend-but-don’t-break might be a more sensible strategy, seeing that would be fun for us and probably for the players.

Did I read that KiJana Carter will be in the booth? Or is my memory completely shot this morning?

On the Goon Show Thursday night, Ki-Jana said he would be on the field for the first half and maybe in the booth for the second. You can listen to Ki-Jana’s interview here.

Senior QB Shane McGregor - 3.9 GPA in double major. Sheesh.

I watched the first 2.8 quarters of the game listening to the BTN analysts, who cut away repeatedly to Ki-jana for sideline interviews. They were fine, as far as they went, but because there basically were no breaks in the action, they took place while play was still going on. In a couple of instances, they didn’t even bother to show the action in an insert in the upper corner of the screen. Much as I loved seeing Rich Mauti and Brian Urlacher, I would have preferred to see what was going on in the game. >:(

He won some journalism essay contest, too, that sent him to the national championship game to cover

One of my favorites was listening to Joepa in the booth during blue-white. You could hear him talk about the players, and the plays they were running, and he’d call people out too. It was such an insight. Another one of those little things about Joe that will be missed.

Looks like the QB spot is McGloins to lose ???

I don’t know yet. I think Jones still has a shot. He looked good on his last drive. And I thought he could have made some plays early in the game, only the sack rules kind of held him back – I believe he would have avoided the sack if sacks were allowed and been able to make a play. It’s too hard to get a good feel though with a game like this. I have no idea if Jones played with any starters at all. And I have no idea what defense was on the field when he was either. Plus, if we are only seeing 10% of the offense, do we have any idea who is better at the other 90%?

The best thing for the offense would be if Jones wins the starting job. It means he’s better than the two guys we’ve seen the last two years. And I’m comfortable with McGloin as the backup.

It’s Jones’ job to win. Otherwise mcgloin is the default fallback

Don’t get me wrong I hope it’s PJ but right now I’m thinking its going to be Matt for some reason

I saw Paul Jones while he was at Sto Rox in a playoff game vs Beaver Falls. Sto Rox’s offensive line was tiny, most less than 200 pounds and lighter than Jones himself. Beaver Falls was in on Jones every time he went to pass, but he was fearless throwing the ball even though he knew was going to be hit. You could see he was a leader, too. What I saw yesterday was a quarterback who had not had a lot of practice reps with the receivers. Once he gets that and they get on the same page and learn how to read each other, Jones is going to be a top-flight quarterback.

My 2 cents:
I still see QB as the “issue” position. :-\ BUT, alas, it appears similar to the past two season. MM seems like the best option. (we all know the BUTS…)
Bolden needs a red-shirt. Jones is a fine athlete ( I saw him play hoops and football in HS) with a huge arm. To me, he doesn’t seem ready yet!

Play calling this season will be paramount. The QB will not be able to be put into situations that may produce turnovers. BOB could not be in a more different play calling situation than last season at NE. Some of the run faking took forever. When the QB looked up the play was partially or totally “blow up” and he had a hurry a pass. I don’t think we can have our QB look away (run fake) at most any time.

P.S. Are we ever going to be able to run a successful screen pass. P.S. #2 Interesting to hear Jack Ham talk about the QBing.
P.S. #3 we are very “thin” as a team. Injuries (or avoiding them) will be key.