PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: BJC Parking

Just wanted to pass along a note from the Cirque Du Soleil Quadiam show at the BJC last night. All concerts and shows are now $10 to parking instead of $5. Penn State Basketball will remain free. If you buy a pass ahead of time to park with your tickets or from the BJC it is $8. The phone number for parking @ the BJC is 814-865-5555. Just thought I would pass the information along so people aren’t shocked at the price the next time they are at the BJC for a non basketball game.

That is a pretty ridiculous number. I’m not sure how the cost of your ticket doesn’t include whatever parking fees they deem necessary, but this feels like they’re bending you over since there is literally nowhere else nearby to park without a PSU permit.

Well done BJC, living up to your reputation.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:2665”]That is a pretty ridiculous number. I’m not sure how the cost of your ticket doesn’t include whatever parking fees they deem necessary, but this feels like they’re bending you over since there is literally nowhere else nearby to park without a PSU permit.

Well done BJC, living up to your reputation.[/quote]

I’m not one to usually defend the Jordan Center but I don’t believe that’s their fault. I’m pretty sure that the parking lots are managed separately from the BJC.

It’s very possible that’s true, but I still think it’s the BJC’s responsibility to take care of this. If they know that PSU is going to charge people to park there when a big event is coming, they should negotiate a deal with PSU to put the price of parking in the ticket price.

I realize the BJC is not the only place with this problem, it’s arenas everywhere really. But I think it’s getting ridiculous that you have to spend upwards of $80 or more per ticket for an event and then still get nickel and dimed just to get in the door. This is in the same realm of problems as the ridiculous surcharges and processing fees that ticket sellers (ticket master specifically) tack on. Just put the freaking total price of getting to your seat in the initial price you list. It’s a simple concept. Sort out where the money goes behind the scenes.

** the one thing i can somewhat justify is parking for tailgating events. While I think the price may be a bit too high at PSU right now, I can justify the idea behind charging for it because you are actually using a piece of land for more than just letting your car sit, and typically there is cleanup necessary for the event holders.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:4, topic:2665”]It’s very possible that’s true, but I still think it’s the BJC’s responsibility to take care of this. If they know that PSU is going to charge people to park there when a big event is coming, they should negotiate a deal with PSU to put the price of parking in the ticket price.

I realize the BJC is not the only place with this problem, it’s arenas everywhere really. But I think it’s getting ridiculous that you have to spend upwards of $80 or more per ticket for an event and then still get nickel and dimed just to get in the door. This is in the same realm of problems as the ridiculous surcharges and processing fees that ticket sellers (ticket master specifically) tack on. Just put the freaking total price of getting to your seat in the initial price you list. It’s a simple concept. Sort out where the money goes behind the scenes.

** the one thing i can somewhat justify is parking for tailgating events. While I think the price may be a bit too high at PSU right now, I can justify the idea behind charging for it because you are actually using a piece of land for more than just letting your car sit, and typically there is cleanup necessary for the event holders.[/quote]

Why? So the students can get charged more for their ticket even though they are going to walk to the event? Then they have to make sure you have a ticket so you can park. But what if you want to go to the parking lot to buy a ticket from a scalper? Or is your intention to discourage car pooling and everyone with a ticket should drive separately? Your idea needs more thought.

This same thing happened to me when I went to see a show in Wilkes-Barre at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Parking is now $10 per car. I usually don’t bitch and moan about these things but I got annoyed and wrote an email to the arena manager. The way he explained it was as such: the ticket costs go to the show promoter and the parking goes to the facility so they can’t lump parking into the ticket costs because they probably wouldn’t get paid by the promoter.

It’s even a bit more complicated at PSU because the parking revenues will go to the university parking authority not the Bryce Jordan Center. The BJC parking lot is actually a multi-use facility unto itself. It’s used for university parking, BJC shows, football parking, Spikes parking, etc. I can assure you that the BJC doesn’t see the parking revenues for all those other events. Penn State does, but the BJC itself doesn’t.

I’m still anxious to see the University’s response to my question about parking for the Hartford hoops game on 9/19 for basketball season ticket holders that are not attending the football game.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:4, topic:2665"][b]It's very possible that's true, but I still think it's the BJC's responsibility to take care of this. If they know that PSU is going to charge people to park there when a big event is coming, they should negotiate a deal with PSU to put the price of parking in the ticket price. [/b]

** the one thing i can somewhat justify is parking for tailgating events. While I think the price may be a bit too high at PSU right now, I can justify the idea behind charging for it because you are actually using a piece of land for more than just letting your car sit, and typically there is cleanup necessary for the event holders.[/quote]

Why? So the students can get charged more for their ticket even though they are going to walk to the event? Then they have to make sure you have a ticket so you can park. But what if you want to go to the parking lot to buy a ticket from a scalper? Or is your intention to discourage car pooling and everyone with a ticket should drive separately? Your idea needs more thought.

Just because a ticket covers the cost of something doesn’t mean I’m necessarily going to be taking advantage of that as a ticket buyer. The cost of a PSU basketball ticket covers paying the ushers, who I don’t need… should I ask for a refund for that part of my ticket at every game I attend?

Or perhaps the next time a band comes and I don’t care for the opener I should ask for a percentage refunded, since I had no interest in seeing those other acts?

All I’m asking is that venues figure out the entire cost of putting on their show and include it in the ticket price up front. That includes parking in my mind, and I’m not simply referring to the BJC which has a large student population that could conceivably walk to shows. If that means they have to work out a deal with the parking lot owners/management, then so be it. But in a situation where your building has only one reasonable place to park for an event, you shouldn’t be allowed to just rape paying customers. There is really no other place to park at a place like the BJC that is within walking distance.

I think it’s just an Obama jobs program. Collect 10 bucks, that pays for salaries for all the parking lot attendants to have jobs, thus lowering the unemployment rate. There will be enough left over to hire 2 more bank tellers and shut down the ATMs :wink:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist that.

Something to consider… I wonder if it’s standard now for promoters of these shows to have a cut of the parking revenue built into their contracts, since almost every venue charges parking. If so, then the BJC would amost have to collect something in order to bring that show to town, as I doubt the promoters would bother to re-write their contracts and change their ticket pricing in order to do one show at the BJC… They’d just do Giant Center or something instead.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:4, topic:2665”]It’s very possible that’s true, but I still think it’s the BJC’s responsibility to take care of this. If they know that PSU is going to charge people to park there when a big event is coming, they should negotiate a deal with PSU to put the price of parking in the ticket price.

You are dead on, Crafty.

No matter how someone wants to push responsibility here or there, it’s still the ticket buy getting reemed. does it matter that it’s the BJC or our Dear Old State that’s doing it?

Let’s be realistic here, the parking lot is seen as nothing more than a profit center. Why did they increase prices? To cover costs? There are not very many moving parts associated with a parking lot. Not very labor intensive. A plot of land with asphalt, that’s about it.

So, as always, we are back to the first question posed, why did the price increase?

[quote="jjepsu92, post:6, topic:2665"]This same thing happened to me when I went to see a show in Wilkes-Barre at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Parking is now $10 per car. I usually don't bitch and moan about these things but I got annoyed and wrote an email to the arena manager. The way he explained it was as such: the ticket costs go to the show promoter and the parking goes to the facility so they can't lump parking into the ticket costs because they probably wouldn't get paid by the promoter.[/quote]

It’s even a bit more complicated at PSU because the parking revenues will go to the university parking authority not the Bryce Jordan Center. The BJC parking lot is actually a multi-use facility unto itself. It’s used for university parking, BJC shows, football parking, Spikes parking, etc. I can assure you that the BJC doesn’t see the parking revenues for all those other events. Penn State does, but the BJC itself doesn’t.

The money is split between the parking authority and the BJC. This is the answer I received when I called to ask. Plus it covers the cost of OPP cleaning the lot.

It's very possible that's true, but I still think it's the BJC's responsibility to take care of this. If they know that PSU is going to charge people to park there when a big event is coming, they should negotiate a deal with PSU to put the price of parking in the ticket price.

** the one thing i can somewhat justify is parking for tailgating events. While I think the price may be a bit too high at PSU right now, I can justify the idea behind charging for it because you are actually using a piece of land for more than just letting your car sit, and typically there is cleanup necessary for the event holders.

You are dead on, Crafty.

No matter how someone wants to push responsibility here or there, it’s still the ticket buy getting reemed. does it matter that it’s the BJC or our Dear Old State that’s doing it?

Let’s be realistic here, the parking lot is seen as nothing more than a profit center. Why did they increase prices? To cover costs? There are not very many moving parts associated with a parking lot. Not very labor intensive. A plot of land with asphalt, that’s about it.

So, as always, we are back to the first question posed, why did the price increase?

That could also be said of paying $40 to park in a field for football. Another example is the East Parking deck is $1 an hour all week and free on weekends. Yet on football Saturdays it is $40.00. Just keep in mind the deck didn’t build itself, clean itself, or what not.

I am glad some mentioned Wilkes Barre being $10. I go there a lot. I wonder what the average going rate in is the state and nationally.

I really have no problem with paying for parking, I just don’t want to feel like it’s being tacked on when I show up for the event. Hide it from me, I’ll feel a lot better about it. This is a crappy business model.

Imagine buying an Ipod and getting no headphones with it. Sure, you don’t get very good headphones when you buy it but it’s crazy to think that a significant purchase like that doesn’t include the basic accessories involved in using the purchase. If you wind up paying $204.99 instead of $199.99 because of it, so be it.

After skimming all these posts, I’m still not sure why parking is free for b-ball. ???

Athletics pays a flat free for a lot of events to the parking office (authority). Examples, BJC and Hoops, Rec Hall with Volleyball and wrestling. It used to say on the back of your athletic tickets $1.50 of each ticket sale goes to the cost of parking. Not sure if it still says that.

As for the jump in football parking from $5 to $10 to $40 within a few years I do not know the official reasoning. I believe the increase at the BJC for parking is the first in the history of the building.

After skimming all these posts, I'm still not sure why parking is free for b-ball. ???

Athletics pays a flat free for a lot of events to the parking office (authority). Examples, BJC and Hoops, Rec Hall with Volleyball and wrestling. It used to say on the back of your athletic tickets $1.50 of each ticket sale goes to the cost of parking. Not sure if it still says that.

As for the jump in football parking from $5 to $10 to $40 within a few years I do not know the official reasoning. I believe the increase at the BJC for parking is the first in the history of the building.

It’s still only $10 if you buy a parking pass in advance.

Isn’t that game free and not part of the season ticket package?

I'm still anxious to see the University's response to my question about parking for the Hartford hoops game on 9/19 for basketball season ticket holders that are not attending the football game.

Yes

[quote="psugrad83, post:8, topic:2665"]I'm still anxious to see the University's response to my question about parking for the Hartford hoops game on 9/19 for basketball season ticket holders that are not attending the football game.[/quote]

Yes

If that’s the case, then I don’t think season ticket holders have a complaint – it’s not part of the package. Also, they can purchase a parking pass for $10 in advance. Or they can park downtown and walk. I’m just going to go to the tailgate with my friends and walk over for the game. No big deal to me. I’ll be able to scoot out of town pretty quickly once the hoops game ends.