OT - Big Ten Goes 4-3 in Bowl Games

The conference’s first winning bowl season since 2002 :o

Kudos are coming the conference’s way this morning. Four solid wins by four solid teams over four solid opponents will do just that. And come to think of it, could have easily been 5-2 as Auburn really didn’t win their game as much as NW lost it. Then again, had NW won, you could have easily vice versa’d the last statement.

How was the Big Ten going to slow down LSU, Miami, Ga Tech and Oregon? Well, they did it with sound defense across the board which is a good sign for those of us who preach defense as being the key to winning, regardless of the sport.

http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2010/01/06/it-was-a-very-good-year-at-georgia-tech/?cxntfid=blogs_barnhart_college_football

Minny could have also won over ISU. They were driving for the winning score late in the game but lost the ball due to a fumble.

Most important is that the top 4 teams won - including two BCS games. And the 3 losses were tight games - NW might have been the best bowl game of the year.

If only Minnesota and MSU weren’t bad…

This is also the first time in a while I can remeber not starting the bowl season 0-1 because of having to play USC in the Rose Bowl. ;D

What I find interesting is how most of the teams in the Big Ten (both football and basketball) can be considered competitive. Sure there’s Iowa in hoops and Illinois >:( and Michigan :smiley: this year in football, but for the most part the league looks really strong in both $$$ sports.

Does anyone think this speaks to the amount of $$$ being generated by the conference since the birth of the BTN??? (See “Big Ten Expansion” thread) Seems to me that this conference is looking at a possible beginning of a golden age with its top two sports.

Just a thought.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:602”]What I find interesting is how most of the teams in the Big Ten (both football and basketball) can be considered competitive. Sure there’s Iowa in hoops and Illinois >:( and Michigan :smiley: this year in football, but for the most part the league looks really strong in both $$$ sports.

Does anyone think this speaks to the amount of $$$ being generated by the conference since the birth of the BTN??? (See “Big Ten Expansion” thread) Seems to me that this conference is looking at a possible beginning of a golden age with its top two sports.

Just a thought.[/quote]

That’s an interesting thought, although it is too early to draw any conclusions. Sport conference strength tends to be at last partially cyclical, so we could just be seeing a rise in a normal cycle.

That being said, you may be able to make the argument for basketball at least. I think the BigTen is poised to be strong and stay strong, due largely to the quality coaches in the conference. And how is it that the conference can afford so many quality coaches? Could be from the BTN $$…

Does the Big 10 lead all conferences in average enrollment? We have a lot of HUGE colleges in our conference.

Since we have joined, the Big 10 has always been competitive in the two money sports, no? Just thinking about the great UM, Purdue, MSU, OSU and very solid Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Illinois etc. basketball teams through the years. I guess football took an odd turn for a while, with Northwestern and Wiscy winning the league for several years. I think the Big 10 has produced at least 3 football NC teams since we joined–including us in 1994.

[quote=“NICU, post:8, topic:602”]Does the Big 10 lead all conferences in average enrollment? We have a lot of HUGE colleges in our conference.

Since we have joined, the Big 10 has always been competitive in the two money sports, no? Just thinking about the great UM, Purdue, MSU, OSU and very solid Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Illinois etc. basketball teams through the years. I guess football took an odd turn for a while, with Northwestern and Wiscy winning the league for several years. I think the Big 10 has produced at least 3 football NC teams since we joined–including us in 1994.[/quote]

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but we didn’t win the NC in 1994…just sayin’ >:(

[quote="NICU, post:8, topic:602"]Does the Big 10 lead all conferences in average enrollment? We have a lot of HUGE colleges in our conference.

Since we have joined, the Big 10 has always been competitive in the two money sports, no? Just thinking about the great UM, Purdue, MSU, OSU and very solid Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, Illinois etc. basketball teams through the years. I guess football took an odd turn for a while, with Northwestern and Wiscy winning the league for several years. I think the Big 10 has produced at least 3 football NC teams since we joined–including us in 1994.[/quote]

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but we didn’t win the NC in 1994…just sayin’ >:(

I know…I should have put " " around including. I count it, though I know it is not recognized.

The four wins were all over top 15 ranked schools. Only the second time in history that a conference had four top 15 bowl wins.

[quote="mjg, post:3, topic:602"]Most important is that the top 4 teams won - including two BCS games. And the 3 losses were tight games - NW might have been the best bowl game of the year.[/quote]

The four wins were all over top 15 ranked schools. Only the second time in history that a conference had four top 15 bowl wins.

Interesting. We will have three teams in the Top 10, which is impressive.

[quote="mjg, post:3, topic:602"]Most important is that the top 4 teams won - including two BCS games. And the 3 losses were tight games - NW might have been the best bowl game of the year.[/quote]

Correct! And, I think I heard that the 1st time it occured that conference was the Big Ten as well.