PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Betting Line?

Not sure what the betting line is, but the “First Coast News” in news scroll above has PSU at 10th, ahead of only Iowa. IMO, it’s a good bet they finish ahead of not only them, but IU, UM, NW, or 7th. And with guys gone/out like Turner, Hummel, Kramer, Morgan, Allen, Harris, Sims, Coble, PSU might steal a game or two they shouldn’t be expected to. Yes, I know teams have also gotten newcomers, but IMO, Taran could make all frosh, and Billy O. may just win starting spot, or at least big minutes.

Anybody know the odds for the conference? Or where to find them? If long enough… :wink:

I know that Tim has always frowned upon this stuff, so I won’t put up any links. However, based upon what I’ve seen thusfar, PSU either has the 10th longest odds, or are tied with Michigan for the 9th longest odds to win the conference. Iowa is universally the longest shot.

Basketball Futures EXIT
2010 - 11 NCAA Conference Championship - Big Ten Conference

12/1/2010 7:00 PM Odds to win the Big Ten Conference Wager is on team to win conference listed. Tiebreaker is team who gets lower seed (1 seed is lowest) in conference tournament is winning wager. Max wager is $300. Wager is for Regular Season only (not Post Season)
4541 Indiana +1200
4542 Iowa +2500
4543 Illinois +650
4544 Michigan +1500
4545 Michigan State +100
4546 Minnesota +1200
4547 Northwestern +1000
4548 Ohio State +250
4549 Penn State +1500
4550 Purdue +500
4551 Wisconsin +800

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1453”]Basketball Futures EXIT
2010 - 11 NCAA Conference Championship - Big Ten Conference

12/1/2010 7:00 PM Odds to win the Big Ten Conference Wager is on team to win conference listed. Tiebreaker is team who gets lower seed (1 seed is lowest) in conference tournament is winning wager. Max wager is $300. Wager is for Regular Season only (not Post Season)
4541 Indiana +1200
4542 Iowa +2500
4543 Illinois +650
4544 Michigan +1500
4545 Michigan State +100
4546 Minnesota +1200
4547 Northwestern +1000
4548 Ohio State +250
4549 Penn State +1500
4550 Purdue +500
4551 Wisconsin +800[/quote]

Wow. Thanks. NW less odds than PSU. Amazing. Probably a spread on these, a bid/ask, but I’d go long PSU and short IU, UM, NW. Seems like IL is overpriced. Something about that team just never seems right to me. It’s like they’re not cohesive. Talent, but kind of strange. I guess McCamey, Davis and an ever improving Tisdale pretty good base, and they got some good ones coming in. Physical team for sure. Sorta like Minny, IMO. Not sure I’ll do it, but interesting. I think PSU has 50/50 shot at 7th, and IMO, a better shot for the title than NW or IU. Don’t get the shorter odds on those two.

basketballfutures.com, I suppose?

I am clueless when it comes to the ins and outs of sports betting. I have no interest in betting that PSU wins the Big 10 regular season no matter how long the odds are. I would be willing to be that they finish higher than 10th, and maybe 9th, but is that a bet one can make? And if not, is there some sort of secondary market where I can profit on a smart bet I made early in the season as the odds change as the season goes on and things start to take shape?

No and No.

Like most things in life, The Simpsons have this one covered:

[quote="pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1453"]I am clueless when it comes to the ins and outs of sports betting. I have no interest in betting that PSU wins the Big 10 regular season no matter how long the odds are. I would be willing to be that they finish higher than 10th, and maybe 9th, but [b]is that a bet one can make[/b]? And if not, i[b]s there some sort of secondary market where I can profit on a smart bet I made early in the season as the odds change as the season goes on and things start to take shape?[/b][/quote]

rangercheese, where you been? You do a Rip Van Winkle on us? Still posting on pennlive? I couldn’t handle Guidod anymore with his 50 “hate Ed” posts per day. What a poorly moderated site, almost unreal how badly supervised. I post there once a month, post something, usually a reply then leave, never reading replies.

Can you bet on whether or not the first Michigan - Illinois game will have as much scoring as the 67-65 football game today? I’d take the under.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1453"]I am clueless when it comes to the ins and outs of sports betting. I have no interest in betting that PSU wins the Big 10 regular season no matter how long the odds are. I would be willing to be that they finish higher than 10th, and maybe 9th, but [b]is that a bet one can make[/b]? And if not, i[b]s there some sort of secondary market where I can profit on a smart bet I made early in the season as the odds change as the season goes on and things start to take shape?[/b][/quote]

rangercheese, where you been? You do a Rip Van Winkle on us? Still posting on pennlive? I couldn’t handle Guidod anymore with his 50 “hate Ed” posts per day. What a poorly moderated site, almost unreal how badly supervised. I post there once a month, post something, usually a reply then leave, never reading replies.

Hey - haven’t been doing much posting anywhere. Work life’s been crazy, home life’s been crazy (had our first kid who has some slick post moves near the basketball hoop in his bathtub) - and haven’t had a ton of optimism about this season going up against a nasty Big Ten. But I’m ready to be pleasantly surprised…

Hey - haven’t been doing much posting anywhere. Work life’s been crazy, home life’s been crazy (had our first kid who has some slick post moves near the basketball hoop in his bathtub) - and haven’t had a ton of optimism about this season going up against a nasty Big Ten. But I’m ready to be pleasantly surprised…

Welcome back. I’m kind of optimistic on this year…better than last year. That’s a start, no?