OT: best athlete in Big Ten history

Big Ten Icons to count down conference’s top 50 student-athletes

http://www.bigtenicons.com/

Who do you think? Here’s a vote for Jesse Owens

[quote=“Mick, post:1, topic:948”]Big Ten Icons to count down conference’s top 50 student-athletes

Who do you think? Here’s a vote for Jesse Owens[/quote]

That’s a no brainer. Who gets second is a bigger question.

I notice a John Cappelletti bobblehead. It looks like they might be playing loose with who’s a Big Ten athlete.

[quote="Mick, post:1, topic:948"]Big Ten Icons to count down conference's top 50 student-athletes

Who do you think? Here’s a vote for Jesse Owens[/quote]

That’s a no brainer. Who gets second is a bigger question.

I notice a John Cappelletti bobblehead. It looks like they might be playing loose with who’s a Big Ten athlete.

Maybe, but it also states at the top “Until then, check out these iconic athletes representing every school in the conference”. I’d hope they would keep it to actual Big Ten athletes – meaning no PSU athletes until we became official.

My vote goes to Jack Nicklaus, but only because with the warmer weather I have golf on my mind now.

Wondering is Megan Hodge might make the list. 3-peat in volleyball might get her on the list.

I’d go Nicklaus, but he’s not a bobblehead there. Owens, due to circumstances he faced, and the record of course. Red Grange also up on that list. Mateen Cleaves and Alford ahead of Isiah Thomas and Kevin McHale? And Rick Mount? Al Maguire said Mount had best shot he ever saw. 30 college and 10 former coaches agreed, as he garnered the most votes of who was the best outside shooter in history.

A string bean at 6’4", 175 lbs.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/legends-rickmount.html

How about consideration for Bud Grant.

Grant decided to attend the University of Minnesota instead.He was a three sport, nine letterman[4] athlete in football, basketball, and baseball for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, earning All-Big Ten honors in football twice.

After leaving the University of Minnesota, Grant was selected in both the NFL and NBA Draft. He was selected in the first round (fourteenth overall) of the 1950 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles and fourth round (forty-second overall) selection of the Minneapolis Lakers in the 1950 NBA Draft

My guess would be that Suzy Hamilton winds up the highest placed female. I’d go with Red Grange as #2 to Owens, Bronco Nagurski will get a log of votes too. Isiah Thomas sneaks in because you have to have an Indiana basketball player and he would be the logical choice. I’d pick Dave Winfield as a sleeper. I like Nicklaus as a top five pick. Archie Griffin goes high because of the two-time Heisman Awards. Don’t overlook John Wooden as a surprise pick that many wouldn’t think of. Magic Johnson goes ahead of Mateen Cleaves. Look for Jay Berwanger of Chicago as another sleeper.

There are also some two sport athletes that deserve recognition. Guys like Kirk Gibson and Otto Graham (along with Winfield).

Golfers are not “athletes”.

Archie Griffin would have to be Top 5.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:8, topic:948”]Golfers are not “athletes”.

Archie Griffin would have to be Top 5.[/quote]

As a golfer, I am offended you would say that. It’s hard work driving around 18 holes while consuming adult beverages and smoking stogies. Actually, at the competitive level, you walk. I hear what you are saying, and I’m not disagreeing with you. But I’m not entirely in agreement either. You don’t have to be in prime athletic shape to be a great golfer (Phil Mickelson). But does that mean baseball pitchers aren’t athletes either (David Wells)?

[quote="Skeeza, post:8, topic:948"]Golfers are not "athletes".

As a golfer, I am offended you would say that. It’s hard work driving around 18 holes while consuming adult beverages and smoking stogies. Actually, at the competitive level, you walk. I hear what you are saying, and I’m not disagreeing with you. But I’m not entirely in agreement either. You don’t have to be in prime athletic shape to be a great golfer (Phil Mickelson). But does that mean baseball pitchers aren’t athletes either (David Wells)?

I don’t think baseball pitchers are true athletes.

I saw a TV show where a guy was throwing a playing card so hard that it stuck in the side of a watermelon shell. …I wouldn’t consider him an athlete simply for that.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:8, topic:948”]Golfers are not “athletes”.

Wanna bet that the people who have created this award have a much different opinion than you do?

[quote="Skeeza, post:8, topic:948"]Golfers are not "athletes".

Wanna bet that the people who have created this award have a much different opinion than you do?

I, unlike some, have no doubt that other people have a different opinion that I do. :wink: