OT: Beaver Stadium Seating Chart

This is the real deal. We finally get the real info on ticket pricing.

More detail and spin are here.

As a person with no real connections to PSU tickets, I’m going to miss the old student section. The sections along the sideline were epic during white outs.

What’s up with NKU and NLU? Should we really put visiting fans that close to the field in those sections?

I think the visitors section is my absolute favorite part about this new seating arrangement.

Yea we may not be as visually exciting to look at now, but it’s going to be a whole lot louder which really excites me. I imagine that it will look cooler than we think once it is all said in done because 22,000 people wearing white is still 22,000 people wearing white. I’m excited about the move…like moving to a new house…sort of.

Yeah I guess itll be louder, but more so for just that one half of the field. Is this effective next year or in 2011? Since the picture says 2011.

I haven’t read the previous articles and threads, but I’m guessing this is strictly a business move due to a higher demand of non-student fans?

[quote=“noobd, post:5, topic:343”]Yeah I guess itll be louder, but more so for just that one half of the field. Is this effective next year or in 2011? Since the picture says 2011.

I haven’t read the previous articles and threads, but I’m guessing this is strictly a business move due to a higher demand of non-student fans?[/quote]

BSD did a great peice on the move, they’ll explain it better than any of us can
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2009/11/17/1159412/lose-it-or-move-it#storyjump

[quote=“noobd, post:5, topic:343”]Yeah I guess itll be louder, but more so for just that one half of the field. Is this effective next year or in 2011? Since the picture says 2011.

I haven’t read the previous articles and threads, but I’m guessing this is strictly a business move due to a higher demand of non-student fans?[/quote]

The biggest thing I notice from this is that there really isn’t a seating by class any more. The upperclasses got the better seats. Now, I don’t see much difference in where they sit… It’s all end-zone. There was something about moving closer to the 50 yrd line as you got closer to graduation. In a way, that was one of the last things that still remained from the old ways where the upperclasses got “better” treatment… For instance, if you go to west halls, it’s clear the difference between the freshman dorms and the “senior” dorms, whereas in East halls they’re all the same size.

Well, that and now you’ll never see the games from the “sideline” as as student… They gave those prime seats up to the big donors. I guess it was only a matter of time :’(

I do like how they broke up the visitor section, and moved them to the upper levels so they couldn’t interact with the players and cheerleaders. I can remember a loss to Wisky years ago and the team and the band and the fans all hollered it up there in the corner where they’ve always been. That’s going to be tough to do now, but it’s the same thing the rest of the B-10 does, so I guess it’s OK.

[quote=“MarkH, post:8, topic:343”]The biggest thing I notice from this is that there really isn’t a seating by class any more. The upperclasses got the better seats. Now, I don’t see much difference in where they sit… It’s all end-zone. There was something about moving closer to the 50 yrd line as you got closer to graduation. In a way, that was one of the last things that still remained from the old ways where the upperclasses got “better” treatment… For instance, if you go to west halls, it’s clear the difference between the freshman dorms and the “senior” dorms, whereas in East halls they’re all the same size.

Well, that and now you’ll never see the games from the “sideline” as as student… They gave those prime seats up to the big donors. I guess it was only a matter of time :’(

I do like how they broke up the visitor section, and moved them to the upper levels so they couldn’t interact with the players and cheerleaders. I can remember a loss to Wisky years ago and the team and the band and the fans all hollered it up there in the corner where they’ve always been. That’s going to be tough to do now, but it’s the same thing the rest of the B-10 does, so I guess it’s OK.[/quote]

Moving to the 30-40 was a big deal for me as I progressed through school. I was a huge fan and loved being able to get a view at the games. It was attending a football game that took me from “no consideration” to “committed” as an unrecruited high school senior.

I always thought it said a lot about Penn State that it put the students in such good seats. This is disappointing but not surprising.

I don’t know. I think management is asking/demanding too much (money.) Sometimes the Golden Goose only has so many eggs in her.

I’ve already had 3 people tell me they won’t renew their season tickets because they can’t afford this. I know the football program needs to make money but this seems like gouging to me.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:343"]I don't know. I think management is asking/demanding too much (money.) Sometimes the Golden Goose only has so many eggs in her.[/quote]

I’ve already had 3 people tell me they won’t renew their season tickets because they can’t afford this. I know the football program needs to make money but this seems like gouging to me.

The other way of looking at it is that a lot of people have been paying under market value for those tickets for years. I see this more as a situation were the AD is bringing PSU’s ticket prices in line with what most major universities are charging.

I agree. Its painful as none of us like to pay more, but in the end it is better for PSU and our athletic department. Its not like the extra cash goes to a CEO in bonus form or something.

I agree. PSU is late to the party on this. Many places have already done this. There will be complaints but I believe it will be a vocal minority.

I love my current seats. I’ve had them (and donated the NLC minimum+$50) for 20 years at least. They are in SK, 5 rows off the field, 5 min from the gate coming in, 1 min out to the concourse at half time, 5 min back out to gate after the game. I’ve never considered “improving” my seats because of the “easy in, easy out” aspect.

Alas, in 2011 it is student seating and I’m outta there.

Anyone have any idea how the reassignment process will work?
Hopefully it will be similar to the BJC seating assignment process, where you get to pick from what’s available based on NLC points.

If not, and I am “assigned to equivalent” seats, like at the top of EJU, I’ll be one unhappy camper.

[quote=“Speed, post:15, topic:343”]I love my current seats. I’ve had them (and donated the NLC minimum+$50) for 20 years at least. They are in SK, 5 rows off the field, 5 min from the gate coming in, 1 min out to the concourse at half time, 5 min back out to gate after the game. I’ve never considered “improving” my seats because of the “easy in, easy out” aspect.

Alas, in 2011 it is student seating and I’m outta there.

Anyone have any idea how the reassignment process will work?
Hopefully it will be similar to the BJC seating assignment process, where you get to pick from what’s available based on NLC points.

If not, and I am “assigned to equivalent” seats, like at the top of EJU, I’ll be one unhappy camper.[/quote]

There are different groupings and then it’s by NLC point within the groups. I think those that are displaced are in the top group.

[quote="tundra, post:10, topic:343"]I don't know. I think management is asking/demanding too much (money.) Sometimes the Golden Goose only has so many eggs in her.[/quote]

The other way of looking at it is that a lot of people have been paying under market value for those tickets for years. I see this more as a situation were the AD is bringing PSU’s ticket prices in line with what most major universities are charging.

Think about it this way. Why not just charge more money on the face of the ticket for better seats? That’s the way it works for most sporting events – the better the seat, the more you pay. But no tax deduction for us individuals. In a way, PSU is maximizing their ticket revenue and still allowing the IRS to foot part of the bill. By requiring a higher donation for better seats, we are paying fair market value for those seats and still getting subsidized on our tax return – at least until the IRS changes the percent of the donation they deem to be charitable. And my seats in EJU aren’t going up, so I’m happy.

I guess the “old way” needs tweaked but the new scale seems excessive. People have supported PSU for many years. The world’s 3rd largest outdoor facility, I think. PSU should not worry about what they charge in Austin and/or Knoxville. PSU should come up with a “fair way” and charge a “fair amount.” Remember PSU is one of the the most cash rich sport programs. A sport management student who recently visited PSU with his class was told PSU was one of only three schools which athletic programs are totally funded. I don’t know is this is valid or not. But the people who have funded PSU and attended games should be treated fairly.

Bottom line is I just don’t like the Licensing Fees idea. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I remember what happened in PGH. The city had a referendum vote. The question was very simple. I think the question was “Should taxpayer money be used for new sport stadiums.” Everybody knew the Pirates would have been gone if the vote was NO. The Steelers held their cards until a week before the vote then made a statement that they may leave town also if the vote was NO. The vote happened and NO won by a huge landslide. Democracy at work, huh. Well, what happened in about a month the politicians announced that the city was tearing down 3 Rivers Stadium (even though they still owed more for it than what it cost to built) and were building 2 new stadiums. It was with taxpayer payer money. Plan 1 was for one baseball only statium and keeping 3 Rivers. But they went to Plan2 when the Steelers demanded a new statium also. So, 2 were built. I think the city is still bankrupt. The thing that bugs me is that a short time after Heinz Stadium was built the Steelers commented that the reason they wanted a new statium was because they wanted a new revenue source called “Licensing Fees.” The concept of Licensing Fees was very new (and very controversial ) at the time. I think one of the California NFL teams (maybe the Raiders?) had gotten away with charging Licensing Fees. I believe the NFL created a rule that Licensing Fees could only be charged at NEW stadiums at that time.
I would expect PSU to be less greedy. I guess the NLC required donation is a silimar charge BUT I think the new scale is TOO HIGH.

Tundra, I don’t think I agree with you completely. Using the $55 ticket price for this year and assuming 7 games, the black seats are $141 each, the red are $112 each and the blue are $70 each. That’s total cash per ticket up front. Now factor in the tax deduction (use 25% tax bracket for simplicity and assume the IRS still allows 80% of the donation as a deduction). The black seats are now $124, the red are $101 and the blue are $67 each. That’s the net cash per ticket after taxes. I think that’s in line with other sporting events of this caliber.

The only arguement I’d make is that there should be a tier between the red and blue seats (and maybe a few more elsewhere). If I sat in EGU seat 27 of any row, I’d be upset to know I paid $42 more for my seat than the guy immediately to my right. But I guess that’s how it bounces.

I’m not sure what the exact reason for these changes are, but I’m sure revenue certainty played a roll. The AD knows if it sells all the seats, it will get X dollars. And probably more since many will continue to give above the minimum levels.

From a revenue generation perspective, the best pricing policy would mean that the price would rise just up to the point where a few seats in the upper corners might be undersold. As long as the stadium is sold out every week, why not keep raising prices until you get close to that “breaking” point? At least, that would maiximize revenue.

The bottom line is, it’s supply and demand at work… I don’t much care how they wrap around the issue, it’s a price increase, but it’s a business too.

My issue is more with the student section, but I’ll try to keep an open mind and remember that things always change. Campus is already a much different place than it was when I was a student.