PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Bad break for Pitt

This might be old news, but I just stumbled upon it. Its new football coach, Haywood, has been arrested in a domestic assault case in South Bend and is sitting in the clink, where he apparently could remain until as late as Monday. I guess the arraignment judges take off during semester breaks,

Forgive the schadenfreude. I’m from the older generation.

Arraignment for Haywood scheduled for 1:30 Monday. He’s gotta stay in until the arraignment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10365/1114730-100.stm

At least they have a coach who can relate to the players

Hello…or should I say…Goodbye…Tom Bradley!

Don’t worry Bradley isn’t going anywhere.

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:1711"]Hello.............or should I say.........Goodbye..............Tom Bradley![/quote] Don't worry Bradley isn't going anywhere.

I hear ya. I don’t really think ~itt would hire Tommy. BUT, I think Tommy would like the job and I would like to see him “get a break.” I think the PSU coaching (all football coaches) situation has gotten very stale. I would like it to end well for Tommy and a few of the others. This JoePA living/coaching forever situation is super weird.

Ummm I’m not sure how to react to that statment.

I guess you would expect an issue relating to a 21-month old child born to a woman to whom you are not married to being more likely to be a player’s problem and not a middle-aged head coach’s.

I wonder if that would have even disqualified him to coach at PSU (before this incident), not that that would be legal or anything…

[quote="State4Life, post:3, topic:1711"]At least they have a coach who can relate to the players[/quote] Ummm I'm not sure how to react to that statment.
It was a joke... no reaction necessary.

One more point. I much as I dislike the idea this entire situation may be a PLUS for ~itt.
The Wanny termination and new coach hire has NOT been accepted well by anybody in the area. No ~itter I know liked the new hire. Everybody saw him as a boring low level hire.
Well…NOW…~itt gets a “Mulligan.” The coach will get fired and the ~itt Administration gets to hire all over again. Maybe they will even get a new new coach that ~itter boosters will embrace?? Scandals have a way of being “forgotten”…atleast at ~itt.

I can see Pitt ending up with Rich Rod if Michigan can pry Harbaugh from the NFL and/or Stanford. That would be a win for both Michigan and Pitt – I still think Rich is a good coach.

If that happened, he might have to wear body armor when playing WVU in the backyard brawl in Morgantown.

[quote="State4Life, post:3, topic:1711"]At least they have a coach who can relate to the players[/quote] Ummm I'm not sure how to react to that statment.
It was a joke... no reaction necessary.

The proper reaction is … :smiley:

This thread is a riot. There’s nothing like a good domestic violence joke. Anybody have any good Dave Bliss or AIDS jokes?

It was a Pitt joke. It’s rare that they are tasteful. :wink:

ESPN just reported ~itt fired Heyward.

In the end it was probably a good break…Haywood was a horrible hire.

Still leaves Jay open, so in the future Pitt can be the PA school with a Paterno at the helm.

And they can say that they have “Joe Paterno” as their head coach, since that is Jay’s real name.

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:1711"]Hello.............or should I say.........Goodbye..............Tom Bradley![/quote] Don't worry Bradley isn't going anywhere.

That’s right.

It’s not about a lack of opportunity, it has to do with coaches who are happy in their current positions.