OT: Article on Paterno - Really Absurd

I came across this article on Paterno today - What is wrong with this guy (the writer, Dodd)? He apparently felt that the time was right to completely go off on Paterno, now that Bowden has retired. Maybe he was a huge Bowden fan, or went to Pitt? Who knows. Either way, the article would have been a little more understandable 5 years ago, today it makes literally no sense at all. The writing is also total crap (although that’s par for the course on cbssports.com).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12597684/bowdens-departure-harbinger-of-doom-for-penn-states-paterno

[quote=“psu2006, post:1, topic:387”]I came across this article on Paterno today - What is wrong with this guy (the writer, Dodd)? He apparently felt that the time was right to completely go off on Paterno, now that Bowden has retired. Maybe he was a huge Bowden fan, or went to Pitt? Who knows. Either way, the article would have been a little more understandable 5 years ago, today it makes literally no sense at all. The writing is also total crap (although that’s par for the course on cbssports.com).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12597684/bowdens-departure-harbinger-of-doom-for-penn-states-paterno[/quote]

I think that’s a misreading of the column. What he’s saying is that if you don’t quite on your terms, you get fired on theirs, and he would not like to see what happened to Bowden happen to Joe.

There is some snideness about Joe’s staff vs. Bobby’s staff as if Joe were as disconnected as Bobby, but this is a guy who did not even go to the locker room at halftime. I don’t think Joe is disconnected, but if you are paid to fill a column every day, I can see where that might be an easy cheap shot.

I came across this article on Paterno today - What is wrong with this guy (the writer, Dodd)? He apparently felt that the time was right to completely go off on Paterno, now that Bowden has retired. Maybe he was a huge Bowden fan, or went to Pitt? Who knows. Either way, the article would have been a little more understandable 5 years ago, today it makes literally no sense at all. The writing is also total crap (although that's par for the course on cbssports.com).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12597684/bowdens-departure-harbinger-of-doom-for-penn-states-paterno

I think that’s a misreading of the column. What he’s saying is that if you don’t quite on your terms, you get fired on theirs, and he would not like to see what happened to Bowden happen to Joe.

There is some snideness about Joe’s staff vs. Bobby’s staff as if Joe were as disconnected as Bobby, but this is a guy who did not even go to the locker room at halftime. I don’t think Joe is disconnected, but if you are paid to fill a column every day, I can see where that might be an easy cheap shot.

The fact that this guy makes a living by writing a column every day is probably the most disturbing aspect of the article.

Almost none of his points make any sense. There is basically a 0% chance that Penn State will go into a decline again before Paterno retires on his own. I’m pretty sure Paterno isn’t a teetotaler, either. Finally, the assumption that Paterno was gloating over Bowden retiring is speculative. Although it is possible he was celebrating in some sense, Paterno has never made any public comment about Bowden or the record that warrants this tone, and the cheap shots in the article.

[quote="psu2006, post:1, topic:387"]I came across this article on Paterno today - What is wrong with this guy (the writer, Dodd)? He apparently felt that the time was right to completely go off on Paterno, now that Bowden has retired. Maybe he was a huge Bowden fan, or went to Pitt? Who knows. Either way, the article would have been a little more understandable 5 years ago, today it makes literally no sense at all. The writing is also total crap (although that's par for the course on cbssports.com).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12597684/bowdens-departure-harbinger-of-doom-for-penn-states-paterno[/quote]

The fact that this guy makes a living by writing a column every day is probably the most disturbing aspect of the article.

Almost none of his points make any sense. There is basically a 0% chance that Penn State will go into a decline again before Paterno retires on his own. I’m pretty sure Paterno isn’t a teetotaler, either. Finally, the assumption that Paterno was gloating over Bowden retiring is speculative. Although it is possible he was celebrating in some sense, Paterno has never made any public comment about Bowden or the record that warrants this tone, and the cheap shots in the article.

Why is there 0% chance we’d go into a decline? Recent past history would certainly suggest that it’s a possibility.

[quote="psu2006, post:1, topic:387"]I came across this article on Paterno today - What is wrong with this guy (the writer, Dodd)? He apparently felt that the time was right to completely go off on Paterno, now that Bowden has retired. Maybe he was a huge Bowden fan, or went to Pitt? Who knows. Either way, the article would have been a little more understandable 5 years ago, today it makes literally no sense at all. The writing is also total crap (although that's par for the course on cbssports.com).

Why is there 0% chance we’d go into a decline? Recent past history would certainly suggest that it’s a possibility.

Define decline. I’d bet we don’t go 10-2 next year. And that, by definition, is a decline.

[quote="UncleLar, post:4, topic:387"]Why is there 0% chance we'd go into a decline? Recent past history would certainly suggest that it's a possibility.[/quote]

Define decline. I’d bet we don’t go 10-2 next year. And that, by definition, is a decline.

Not if you use a 4-year moving average. ;D

Sorry, Lar, I couldn’t resist that one :wink:

[quote="UncleLar, post:4, topic:387"]Why is there 0% chance we'd go into a decline? Recent past history would certainly suggest that it's a possibility.[/quote]

Not if you use a 4-year moving average. ;D

Sorry, Lar, I couldn’t resist that one :wink:

That reminds me. Probably a good time to publish how many wins we need to hit to keep those moving averages headed upward. I’ll put it on my list of to-dos.